ATS snail seals....and intercooler pics!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed you have changed the radiator have you replaced the thermostat? I pulled my father in-law's ford 3000 up I540(I49) from Fort Smith (Probably 7500 lbs with trailer) and the truck did not like the grades at all. My temps spiked really fast. I bought a couple of the motorcraft thermostats and have been meaning to replace mine. I have noticed that my truck unloaded runs at 220 constantly(according to my aftermarket gage the PO put in). I'll end up doing all the tests with the radiator surface temps, fan clutch etc to get it all figured out.

my truck used to run 220 all the time. summer, winter, idling would overheat when really hot, crusing hiway at 230 unloaded. Had alum radiator.
Same engine, same wp, same radiator, but new motorcraft fan clutch and motorcraft thermostat, i havent seen over 192F moving 2000# of stuff in the bed, hardly heavy but this new stat and fan clutch wellllllll worth it. 18-19 mpg still

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have the fan and clutch that came off my truck. The clutch seemed to work properly before it came off...

I am thinking about swapping it back on to see the difference.

Anyway to test a fan clutch to see if it works correctly?

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there is, somewhere on this forum and maybe on the other ones I posted the instructions for testing the fan clutches.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAGIC!
You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man! Just how I thought it should be. These are the same things I have always done to check one, just didn't have it in writing anywhere.

Btw, I did do a search first, but you know how the search button works!

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the only reason I got it so fast is cause I have the files saved on the computer. ha

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just switched out the e fans to the mechanical fan....

We shall see how well this works. As long as it won't lock in while I am on the interstate, I will be happy.

When it did that before, I had an old scaled up radiator, old water pump and thermostat...I hope I will have better results this time.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just switched out the e fans to the mechanical fan....

We shall see how well this works. As long as it won't lock in while I am on the interstate, I will be happy.

When it did that before, I had an old scaled up radiator, old water pump and thermostat...I hope I will have better results this time.

cool, anxiously awaiting the results before I drop any money on the E-fans.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool, anxiously awaiting the results before I drop any money on the E-fans.

The real test won't come for another 3 weeks. We have reservations on Mt.Magazine here in the state. It's about a 2 hour drive ending with a 1000 foot hill climb at the end. The big hill was the only time the e fans wouldn't keep up with the heat. Held good and steady at 225 or so until the second gear pull. Gave my mechanical fan a good once over and it all seems to be in order.

Differences so far, the air conditioner seems to be colder at idle. And it actually idles a bit cooler due to the constant air flow over the radiator. My fans were set to come on at about 195 and gradually increase power up to full power at 205.

It idles at about 185 or so now.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safe travels, I know you will keep us all posted. I can wait three weeks if it means being happy with the new set-up in the long run. Sounds like it will be good comparison for e-fans vs. the mechanical fan set up . Im not worried about horsepower loss, I just want whats going to keep the thing cool in a pull like you are up against. I realize there are limitations with any set up, but this seems like a reasonable test towing a trailer with a truck that has a new rad. and intercooler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka