ATS snail seals....and intercooler pics!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
My early Banks setup just had a lock washer on the center airbox bolt so obviously couldn't be sealing very well. It still made 2-3 psi at 2600 RPM empty cruise, 5-6 at 3000 RPM cruise or slower towing cruise, and peaked about 10 psi with a load or just moving quick at high RPM empty. I'm guessing this is likely why others are reporting 14+ psi with non wastegate Banks, but the leak can't be terribly bad to get those numbers. Statoseal is the way to go for this center bolt into the intake? Banks diagram for the wastegate setup shows a statoseal washer and then a regular washer above it then the center bolt. Ordered those parts as well as a rubber seal for a standard Holley carb air cleaner. Hopefully these make an improvement when putting it back together. With my luck I'll do this, it'll push 14+ psi, and pop a head gasket.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My early Banks setup just had a lock washer on the center airbox bolt so obviously couldn't be sealing very well. It still made 2-3 psi at 2600 RPM empty cruise, 5-6 at 3000 RPM cruise or slower towing cruise, and peaked about 10 psi with a load or just moving quick at high RPM empty. I'm guessing this is likely why others are reporting 14+ psi with non wastegate Banks, but the leak can't be terribly bad to get those numbers. Statoseal is the way to go for this center bolt into the intake? Banks diagram for the wastegate setup shows a statoseal washer and then a regular washer above it then the center bolt. Ordered those parts as well as a rubber seal for a standard Holley carb air cleaner. Hopefully these make an improvement when putting it back together. With my luck I'll do this, it'll push 14+ psi, and pop a head gasket.

lmao! lets hope not.:D happy new new year dunk.

Think I found my boost leak! Pretty obvious when I pulled the intake snail and looked at it.
New proper gasket and permatex ultra black is installed now. Can't imagine it won't be better.
That wasn't sealing a thing!

keep us posted.;Sweet
(and i hope to lord your being careful with WG unhooked lol..........in fact you might want to address that first.)

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(and i hope to lord your being careful with WG unhooked lol..........in fact you might want to address that first.)

Already hooked back up!

Matter of fact, how did you modify the waste gate on chip truck? What is the procedure?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. The snail is now sealed. Proper gasket, ultra black permatex, and a nice new bolt and stat-o-seal. I have tightened clamps until I am afraid they will break. Still, not seeing anywhere close to what I was before boost wise.

Matter of fact, when in neutral, it will actually pull a vacuum when on the throttle. That's right. My boost gauge is a dual boost/vacuum gauge. It will pull up to about 5 inches of vacuum in neutral. I unhooked the intercooler at the intake snail, so, no piping in the equation(running n/a) left the intake snail on, and saw the same vacuum situation.

I had a muffler shop weld a piece of 2.25 inch pipe to the intake snail. The inside is as big as the opening on the snail. Nice and smooth inside too. They did a nice job, but is this setup just too restrictive? I am at a loss as to why I am seeing so much drop off. The smallest section in my whole intake system is the output of the turbo.

You must be registered for see images attach

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
That's real interesting. So it's looking like the ATS snail is a restriction. Have you verified another gauge reads the same? No vacuum without the snail? If your added pipe is straight and ID the same and smooth I can't Imagine it adding any restriction. What psi are you seeing under load? I'm curious to see how this pans out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Your test was flawed. Of course it's gonna pull a vacuum when the charge piping isn't hooked up.
I doubt the snail could be causing that much restriction.
I'm not saying the intercooler is bad, but I want to see a pre-intercooler boost reading. IMO, something is going on with the intercooler.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's all kinds of us using factory/aftermarket ats pressure chambers without issue.what kind of boost are you getting? even with a drop does the truck have more power? you should feel a "decent" performance increase and the egt's should be a lot lower under load.did you try hauling/towing uphill yet?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't put any weight in it yet. It has to be something I have done. Even the ATS intercooler kit has 2.25 inch pipes. I intend to load it some tomorrow and see how it does. Didn't want to push it too hard until the sealer set up for a good day
I will report back tomorrow. I was just venting a little and hope it will all work out ok.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cleaned everything up and combined info from both threads.see if there's anything you missed.i hope your intercooler isn't cracked or something.you know good old China built and all.i smack WOT and nail 14 psi effortlessly.iv got chip truck set at 7.5 BTDC and log truck at 8 BTDC.no lag.good strong power.
(but log truck is bit more rattle and smoky shifting.) both n/a ips.both maxed fuel screws.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the old "plug one side and blow in the other side" test on the intercooler. It held the pressure from me, so I don't think it is cracked.

I may be over reacting here too. Going to take it out and load it up today and see the results. I got my e fans installed again, so I am not afraid to go work it some. Thanks for all the guidance on this. I am confident the engineering is sound here. This is a good way to install an intercooler. It really was easy too. Only took about 3 hours.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. Definitely interested in your results. I want to intercool my truck so bad. Just wish I could figure out how to do it without changing my fresh air intake setup that I've got on there now......

Anyhoo sounds like you know your stuff. Keep us posted.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
can't wait to see if ya got it.hopefully your just over worrying about boost numbers and real world results will show favorably.
that "moose jr" is that the one,that's a oem turbo ip equivalent right? and if so does it already come with a maxed out fuel screw? if so,i dunno how much more cc that is over the n/a ip but you should have a bit more fueling than i do with it if im remembering the size of that ip correctly.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The junior is a 90 cc pump. I think I am just worrying too much. Now that the snail is sealed, I am getting happy with it. Some real world driving today felt good. Below 2000 rpm I can really smoke. Not a fan of that, but some adjustment in driving style should help. I am going to adjust the waste gate a little too. Hits that at 6 psi now. I think a little more would clean up some of the top end smoke-that I had before the Intercooler as well...
EGTs didn't seem much lower, but I bet loaded they will be. It's hard to gauge how the truck will tow when you drive it unloaded. I think I need to hook on to a load of those logs you have!

I am excited to tow with it and see what happens.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One idea I snagged from this site a while back was to hook up the wastegate hose to the intake hat. That way, your wastegate would be controlled by the actual boost that the engine itself is seeing.

Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka

Members online