ATS snail seals....and intercooler pics!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. The antifreeze is there for boilover and freeze protection. More so the freeze protection. Anything you can do to get the heat out of the metal more efficiently is a good thing.

Could you refresh my memory... I see in your sig you did electric fans. How are they working for you and what did you use for your fans? And just to be a real pest, any info on the camper? Hoping to go shopping this fall. ;Sweet

I have 98 windstar fans on trolled by a dccontrols fan controller. 98 percent of the time they are more than enough, towing heavy, so far has proven to be a little beyond the cooling capacity needed on my truck. Pulling large grades in lower gears gets it too hot. I am still trying to find a set of fans with more CFM.

The camper is a 2015 Coleman, by Dutchmen. Now built by the keystone company.

The quality seems to be there, but as with all things new I have a few things they need to fix. We really like it because it is a quad bunkhouse. Good when you have 3 daughters.

http://www.campingworldofnorthlittlerock.com/search/images.cfm?v=402368

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for the info. That looks like a pretty nice piece. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I am wanting e-fans but I am really leary because there will be a lot of mountain towing when I get her on the road.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. I haven't been up 540(I-49?) yet. I did pull the old camper to St. Louis last year and it held pretty firm at 230-235 even on the good grades through the east part of the ozarks. The only time it has ever got to where I needed to pull over was up petit Jean mountain. 2nd gear by the top. Just not enough flow over the radiator. Fans were running wide open.

We are leaving now to head up there again. I hope the new bumper cuts and the purple ice additive will get the temps down.

I will report back.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. It
Hit 250
Again coming up the mountain. I was all the way down in second gear.

On the interstate, I could hold 65 mph
No problem while keeping coolant temps at 225. I am good with that. Try to go 70 and it hovers at 230. On the two lane roads, it stayed at 210 at 55mph.
Just need to figure out something to move air on these tall mountains. This hill I
Am talking about is about 2 to 3 miles of 18 percent? Grade or so. Seriously steep. And long. In about two miles you change elevation about 950 feet.

The purple ice and bumper cutouts brought the temp down on the interstate for sure. I am pleased so far.

I might actually try the mechanical fan again. I switched out because my old fan would kick in on the interstate causing all sorts of grief. With the temps running cooler, it might not do that anymore.....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have an infrared point and shoot thermometer that you could pull over and shoot the oil pan with?

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?65533-aux-oil-cooler-install

you know what i like about the f450 w/ 5.13 gearing? i don't need to worry about efficiency upgrades.with a bed twice as large,large calipers on all 4 corners.her 10 mpg would be like getting 20 mpg with chip truck due to being able to haul twice as much at once so i just get to enjoy running her lol.:D

at some point i'll be starting over with a "new" chip truck and replacing her with an f-super as well.likely a 12' bed and modern f450/f550 axles.
sometimes a larger truck for the job just makes sense is my point.

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do, but not with me.

Larger truck would be nice, but that isn't an option for me. Actually just financed this camper. First thing with a payment in about 3 years. We are really enjoying it though. I'll post up some pics sometime soon.

I was really happy with it until that hard pull. There were a few longer hills on the interstate coming here and it pulled them with ease at 65. I was thrilled with that. This camper loaded with stuff weighs in about 7000, so not too bad. It is a sail though. Just over 11 feet tall, so there is a lot of wind drag.

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I noticed you have changed the radiator have you replaced the thermostat? I pulled my father in-law's ford 3000 up I540(I49) from Fort Smith (Probably 7500 lbs with trailer) and the truck did not like the grades at all. My temps spiked really fast. I bought a couple of the motorcraft thermostats and have been meaning to replace mine. I have noticed that my truck unloaded runs at 220 constantly(according to my aftermarket gage the PO put in). I'll end up doing all the tests with the radiator surface temps, fan clutch etc to get it all figured out.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have. Actually last year it got everything cooling system wise replaced. Water pump(motor craft), radiator, thermostat(motor craft), all the hoses, and that is when I did the fans, and installed a coolant filter.

The temp was actually pretty steady as long as I kept the forward speed up.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. It
Hit 250
Again coming up the mountain. I was all the way down in second gear.

On the interstate, I could hold 65 mph
No problem while keeping coolant temps at 225. I am good with that. Try to go 70 and it hovers at 230. On the two lane roads, it stayed at 210 at 55mph.
Just need to figure out something to move air on these tall mountains. This hill I
Am talking about is about 2 to 3 miles of 18 percent? Grade or so. Seriously steep. And long. In about two miles you change elevation about 950 feet.

The purple ice and bumper cutouts brought the temp down on the interstate for sure. I am pleased so far.

I might actually try the mechanical fan again. I switched out because my old fan would kick in on the interstate causing all sorts of grief. With the temps running cooler, it might not do that anymore.....

Good info,as usual. Are you running the 3 or 4 row Champion . Also, are the E-fans the ones Champion offers now with the radiators the ones you are using.They are dual 16'' fans. I'm in the market for a new radiator and wondering if the E-fans from Champion can do the job for situations like yours. They are supposedly rated up to either 800 or 900 hp. Not sure how that relates to a long steep climb. Would the mechanical fan/clutch do any better. Thanks

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a 3 row champion. And I do not have the fans that champion sells with it. They look pretty cheap to me. I have been exploring other electric fans too. Lincoln mark 8 fan might be the way I go next. If I could get a real motorcraft fan clutch I would reinstall the mechanical fan and give it a go. I still have the one I took off, but I just don't want to reuse it.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a muffler shop weld a piece of 2.25 inch pipe to the intake snail. The inside is as big as the opening on the snail. Nice and smooth inside too. They did a nice job, but is this setup just too restrictive?

You must be registered for see images attach

oh yeah,man i forgot all about you doing this.so they were able to weld a piece of aluminum pipe right on there for ya with no issues.this is what i need to have done to both trucks right here.just a simple different boot and done.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^there you go.

As stated elsewhere, I've welded cast aluminum many time without issue. I would just find a piece the right outside diameter, and weld it against the hat. No need to go inside IMHO.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2.25 in fits against the face of the hat perfectly.

They were able to take welded no problem. Nice and smooth on the inside as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka