Alright, what is the best battery for extremely cold climates.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have interstate batteries and i each one has a battery blanket, every year in the winter were i am at there is a few days that get in the negatives but not to bad, never had an issue with the block heater and battery blankets

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Most properly sized name brand batteries will start our rigs with no problem into the minus digits. As long as everything is in good working order. Cables, Starter, GP's, and Return Lines all MUST be in good working order.

I've started my 85 at -30 degrees with no starting aids(no block heater), and a worn out OEM starter.

My 93 will start with no problems no matter what the temp. New Cables and GR Starter make all the difference in the world.

m885

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried group 31 six volts in series on these trucks? Was introduced to this concept years ago and I LOVE it.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure it starts easily in nice weather. Constant duty glow plugs and a manual switch will let you burn them a good long time. Advancing timing will help. 0w-40, gear reduction and new batteries is money better spent then larger batteries. All what f-two-fiddy said. Disregard wind chill, the engine is only going to get as cold as the actual temp, although it will cool the actual temperature faster.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the batteries checked out at napa on their tester in the truck hooked up together. the passenger battery showed 1100 cca's and the drivers side showed 700 cca's and that it was bad. He didn't know how accurate all that was since they were still hooked up.

darkbluefoxbody2

Reaction score
Bull nose trucks take 31's without any mods! Both mine have 31's from Motor Trucks (International) in them, made by Exide (not my favorite) but they said they are the best and say they use them in ALL!!! trucks. They said there made at a different plant and will start any truck LD, MD, or HD in any weather. Paid 69.95 each four months ago for 4 of them. $110.00 normal price and on sale every year.
Forget 65's they aren't made with the same weigh lead as older ones.
You must be registered for see images attach

Autozone group 31, pricey but in made in Czech and completely sealed, year old no issues but think I'll stick with International from now on, cheaper and friendly.
You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great video Jeff, but it looks like TexCL has an OBS not a bricknose, which requires lowering the battery tray.

Awesome video for bricknose trucks with Group 31s ;Sweet

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a pair of 850 CCA Duralast gold batteries that have done fine for three years now.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't my combines cca's be 1700+? I'm going to take them off today and have them individually tested when I go to town. That's a good idea about the ground wish I had thought of that at the time. Wonder if I have a bad cable since one was 1100cca's and the other was 700? I would have thought they would be equal.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't my combines cca's be 1700+? I'm going to take them off today and have them individually tested when I go to town. That's a good idea about the ground wish I had thought of that at the time. Wonder if I have a bad cable since one was 1100cca's and the other was 700? I would have thought they would be equal.

The 700cca battery is going to pull down the 1100cca battery to 700cca. That's they way it works, and that's why if you can afford it, it works best to replace them in pairs. If you put a new battery with 1100cca, your new battery will only be as good as the older battery already there, 1100cca.

Parallel batteries like this don't add the cca's together, it just adds the capability to deliver the cca's longer. In other words, more storage, not more cca's.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the batteries are both rated at 875cca's so I guess the one tested higher because it wasn't cold and had no load on it?

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Batteries work like this Say one is new and the other is old. You connect them together like e do and guess what. The low battery will pull down the high battery just like 2 connected cans of water. If 1 can is filled higher than the other the low can will draw off the full can till they both are the same level. Same with batteries. They have to be equal or one is going to suck down the other to the same low level the bad one is at.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go ahead and get the new ones since I have no idea how old they are (date codes weren't marked) and they have all sorts of corrosion on the terminals and generally look pretty bad. Might keep the good one for my mobile electric fence charger. I'm also going to clean all the cable connections and test their resistance. If she still doesn't spin fast enough I've been looking at a gear reduction starter that is supposed to really crank.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, just called my Brattain International dealer down on Columbia Blvd and they DO have good prices on batteries! A 925CCA Group 31 is $70 plus core. I know where I'LL be stopping this week!

Edited for "lotza"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online