Alright, what is the best battery for extremely cold climates.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was around 10 this morning and my 250 wouldn't start, but I know the batteries need to bee replaced, it just wasn't cranking fast enough. It get's down to -30's and -40's here (even -50 or rare occasion). So what batteries will fare the best?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Group 31 batteries. I have interstates. They are big, and need some modification of the battery trays to fit. They'll give you the most cold cranking amps, and the most reserve capacity. Don't forget you need good battery cables as well.

That said, even -20F is darn cold for any diesel to start unassisted. I'd be looking into battery blankets as well as block heater for that cold.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
check out those lithium car batteries. Seen them online and tv.

1 can do the duty of 2. Pricey but whats better then not worrying.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a battery, but what about the small solar panels that plug in through the cigarette plug...???
Might keep the batteries topped off..???

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The group 31 battery is a little too tall but some modification to the hood or lowering the battery tray works very well. Some just place a piece of mud flat over the positive side of the battery so it can't touch metal and ground out. Others lower the battery about 1 inch.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not a battery, but what about the small solar panels that plug in through the cigarette plug...???
Might keep the batteries topped off..???
That will work great overnight... ;Poke LOL

It is a great idea though for daytime and such, I did that for the Bronco, was good!

I'd start with a battery pad and blanket setup for both batteries and you will be amazed how good warm batteries work! Along with that the block heater as a minimum or better yet a circulating tank heater as well, then throw on some silicone pad heaters for the pan for oil and yer golden.

U will be drawing a considerable amount of power so a big cord and dedicated AC outlet will be needed...

Heck you could even have a in cab heater on a timer to fire up before you fire it up and help defrost windows and have a toasty cab!

But ya Group 31 maybe a Oddysey 2150 or similar in lithium if you have 3500 bucks

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holey crap those Oddysey batteries are expensive. How about interstate batteries? The only options here in town are are interstate 850cca's but specifically claims it is a cold weather battery and the napa battery that has 875cca's. I actually have bought lot's of batteries from napa and prefer them because the owner is a friend and will always just exchange anything I say is defective.

Last edited:

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some minor modifications to my battery boxes and made hold downs, I'll post some pictures. I used a piece of mudflap as a fail safe to keep the hood from hitting the + post. Pretty simple really - an afternoon with a grinder and drill and they fit nice.

When I was pricing batteries, I could get the group 31s a fair amount cheaper than stock sized group 65s. I think quality group 65s were about $180 each locally, and group 31s were $125. Keep in mind your old batteries won't work as a core for the bigger ones, the place I got mine from gave me some credit so it only cost me an extra $10 for core charges.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holey crap those Oddysey batteries are expensive. How about interstate batteries? The only options here in town are are interstate 850cca's but specifically claims it is a cold weather battery and the napa battery that has 875cca's. I actually have bought lot's of batteries from napa and prefer them because the owner is a friend and will always just exchange anything I say is defective.

If you like the Napa's and can get a good deal and a good warranty, buy them. Batteries are like tires, oil, etc. Everyone has their opinions and good experiences and bad experiences with different brands. You could come over to the dark side like I did and buy a set from Walmart. Been working good for me, and you can't beat the price.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get those napa batteries for less than $250 a pair. My engine cranks over really quick warm, so not sure how much of an improvement it will be. Couldn't get a baseline compression reading when I did my GP's since the adapter that was supposed to fit my engine, didn't, but had zero issues starting until it got below 20f.

edit.... just checked my volts , engine was warm. 12.7v warm with no load, 11v with gp's on and 9v while cranking. Is this about right?

Last edited:

hallgren87idi

Reaction score
same here the owner is cool as hell, he will refund non refundable items too if they are wrong, and he fronts me parts until i got the money to pay, thats why i like napa, they make you feel at home. not like the oreilly's shmucks that cant even figure out what you need to buy, they just wanna sell you some part

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here the owner is cool as hell, he will refund non refundable items too if they are wrong, and he fronts me parts until i got the money to pay, thats why i like napa, they make you feel at home. not like the oreilly's shmucks that cant even figure out what you need to buy, they just wanna sell you some part

No s#@t. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks and sees it this way. I have a great local NAPA. I'm about to completely quit my local O'reilly's. That place is just awful.