Aftermarket door shells

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m contemplating a new drivers door because I am 99% sure mine is warped and I can’t seem to get it any straighter. How bad are the aftermarket shells? Are there any that are better than others? Are they just a no??

Finding a clean one around here is really tough to impossible. Shipping one from the west coast might be ridiculous and it might be worse than what I have by the time it gets here. All of my front clip is aftermarket and it’s not terrible.

Anyone have good or bad experiences to share?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never bought any aftermarket doors but I would question the fitment. I have a set of OBS and brick nose doors I think are in good shape.

Ddizzy77

Reaction score
I’m contemplating a new drivers door because I am 99% sure mine is warped and I can’t seem to get it any straighter. How bad are the aftermarket shells? Are there any that are better than others? Are they just a no??

Finding a clean one around here is really tough to impossible. Shipping one from the west coast might be ridiculous and it might be worse than what I have by the time it gets here. All of my front clip is aftermarket and it’s not terrible.

Anyone have good or bad experiences to share?
Hard to say, but it's not going to fit without some work. But, it might be worth it if you don't mind some cutting, sanding, welding.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw I just got a tailgate from npd.
Tinny, lightweight, bit it did bolt on.
I hope lmc has better quality?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The doors are thin, just like the other aftermarket sheetmetal. I worked with a guy that had a 1994 turbo diesel idi, and he had bought it used years ago. After having it many years he complained that the door had cracked where the inner door panel pull handle area bolted to the metal part of the door. I got suspicious and asked him if the door behind the door panel was painted body color(blue) or was it flat black. He said flat black. That I told him was a big clue that this truck had been wrecked at some earlier date, and a aftermarket door had been installed.

Pulling on the door pull to close the door all those years cracked the inner panel of the door, I think because the aftermarket door is made out of thinner metal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Franklin, I would agree, but the cracking near the handle is very common. Even for original doors.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, like I said, my whole front clip is aftermarket. I was actually shocked at how well it went together with minimal massaging. I’m glad to hear the tailgate fit. I’ve got one of those in a box to be painted and installed. My gate is pretty rusty.

I located a couple doors local. I just hate spending the time and money on something that may have the same issues mine has. Unless I take it off a truck, won’t really know. Guess I need to check the you pull it yards. I’m not sure I can pull one by myself. Back to that scheduling another body problem.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mike,
LKQ in Mt Airy has a few bricks - not sure of condition of the doors. I can make some time on a weekend to help you pull one if you want.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a set of factory OBS doors on my brick. They were rust free however at the time of purchase I was unaware the passenger door was bent from a right front collision, because they were removed from the donor truck. Only after installation I noticed a huge gap between top part of the door and my cab. Paint guy had to remove wing window and re-bend top arch to correct. New weather seals were installed however that sucker still whistles a little when speed is over 60mph. Hard to find rust free where we live! The best salvage yard candidates are two-wheel drive with running boards and obvious factory paint. First rust on these seems to start with inner bottom lip of driver door. If there's rust between the outer sheet of steel and inner panel, it's difficult to stop. The cab swap I'm working on right now has factory orig doors that are perfect other than rust along bottom edge. I bought inner and outer repair panels (LMC) that allow replacement of this area which seemed like a better alternative when compared to aftermarket replacement shells.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Cobra King is the aftermarket brand that you want for sheetmetal if not getting Raybuck parts. CK is a company in Taiwan, but the panels are thicker than other stampings and of correct dimensions. Only thing I've noticed about them is that they may lack any welded nuts, not sure on the doors though.

Both of my front factory doors are cracked at that strip connecting to 2 skins at the vent window.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a set of factory OBS doors on my brick. They were rust free however at the time of purchase I was unaware the passenger door was bent from a right front collision, because they were removed from the donor truck. Only after installation I noticed a huge gap between top part of the door and my cab. Paint guy had to remove wing window and re-bend top arch to correct. New weather seals were installed however that sucker still whistles a little when speed is over 60mph. Hard to find rust free where we live! The best salvage yard candidates are two-wheel drive with running boards and obvious factory paint. First rust on these seems to start with inner bottom lip of driver door. If there's rust between the outer sheet of steel and inner panel, it's difficult to stop. The cab swap I'm working on right now has factory orig doors that are perfect other than rust along bottom edge. I bought inner and outer repair panels (LMC) that allow replacement of this area which seemed like a better alternative when compared to aftermarket replacement shells.
Does your wing window open all the way and clear the brick dash?

Thinking about using a set of obs power doors on the bricknose ambulance project

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never open / use the wings however I'm guessing they have plenty of clearance. Here's coupla pics when I was working on this truck. Biggest reason I used this style door was the power window switch location.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Bull and Bricknose dashes will work with either type of vent window. Aeronose vent windows are clearanced for the Aeronose dash.

DougsOBS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im heading to florida in 2 weeks and planning on hitting some junkyards. Ill keep an eye out for a good door if you want.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online