94' IDIT...... Recommended turbo upgrade? Banks? R&D? etc?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally for me I would go with the stage 1 drop in for this reason alone, i wouldnt trust myself to install a ww2 . I am dealing with something that spins 30k rpms i want it balanced and installed by someone who knows turbos. That's why I had Justin install a ww2 when he rebuilt my turbo. Especially if you arent doing the work yourself.. just my thoughts
I also would suggest to whoever does the work to not separate the up pipe from the wye but instead pull the turbo off the wye using the 4nuts that hold it on. I had a heck of a time trying to get mine to seal that ended with getting different up pipe and wye so if yours is sealed I suggest not separating.
The turbo bolts to the up pipe not the Y pipe. The bottom (2 of 4)nuts can be problematic. Wes shared the tip to enlarge the pedestal bolt holes so às to give a little wiggle room for reassembly...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a wye?

It is possible that the ip and injectors were replaced. The original owner was a very procedurally oriented 'by the book' county sheriff who used it pull his slow-moving-deer, and he definitely kept it up. I wouldn't consider upgrading them unless I need to replace them anyway.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the R&D upgraded turbo exhaust housing and downpipe is the same for my factory turbo, or for the stage 1 turbo. So, if I want to upgrade to the stage 1 at a later date, at least I already have that taken care of. Also, it should be easier (fewer hours means fewer dollars) to r&r the turbo a second time, after the shop does it this week to install the housing, downpipe and WW2....

I just hate to spend all that money on parts and labor to install the downpipe, housing, and ww2, when I could buy the stage 1 turbo for the same money. But since I have to pay for the work, I guess that's just how it goes...
Stage one requires a completely different downpipe from what I’ve heard, and it needs a custom oil drain I think too. So I would consider that in your cost consideration for the stage one versus upgrading the stock turbo.

FYI, the same turbo Justin sells as a stage one goes for 5-600 on eBay brand new from borg warner...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this but work hours have me way tired after. So not much surfing time.
I can mod that turbo with a new chra and a bigger, better mod than the wicked wheel.
But alas I may be too late with recommendation.
I would almost bet that with 200k miles your turbine wheel tips are melted a bit and that is why performance is suffering.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can mod that turbo with a new chra and a bigger, better mod than the wicked wheel.
But alas I may be too late with recommendation.
I would almost bet that with 200k miles your turbine wheel tips are melted a bit and that is why performance is suffering.

Ooh that sounds nice, what's this bigger better mod you speak of?

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo justin uses on the stage 1 drop in is different from the stage 1 turbo kit he offers. The stage 1 drop in is a bw257sxe machined to work with the factory or ATS 093 exhaust housing so it will more or less drop in place of factory charger. The oil drain is the same on the drop in as is the mounting. Also on the drop in the 3" exhaust elbow and downpipe upgrade will work on both the factory/093 turbos and the stage 1 drop in.

Now the stage 1 turbo has a different mounting flange, oil drain, and downpipe.
Hope that clears it all up for ya.

flyarmyguns

Reaction score
Yep, i got it, thanks!
Now im very tempted to go with a stage 1 drop in. At least i know for sure that ill be doing the 3" exhaust mod, and keep the option...

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Black dawg

Reaction score
Hi OilBurners,
I have a 94' F350 dually crewcab I use to pull a heavy boat in California hill country. It runs like it should, but is really under powered with the factory 7.3 IDI turbo and E4OD, and 4:10 gears. From what I understand, with a better turbo and down-pipe it should run as strong as an early Powerstroke.

So the question is; What turbo should I buy?

I've been trying to get hold of R&D research for days with no luck. If they are still in business I would worry that support isn't available. Banks is expensive. However, I would be willing to try either with good recommendations. What ells is available?

Thanks everyone!

You say the pump was turned up, but what is your max egt right now? How far did they turn up the pump. Usually a maxed pump with boost to follow, and exhaust makes pretty respectable power.....And since your not having issues with the cooling system.....I am betting it probably is under fueled.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The turbo justin uses on the stage 1 drop in is different from the stage 1 turbo kit he offers. The stage 1 drop in is a bw257sxe machined to work with the factory or ATS 093 exhaust housing so it will more or less drop in place of factory charger. The oil drain is the same on the drop in as is the mounting. Also on the drop in the 3" exhaust elbow and downpipe upgrade will work on both the factory/093 turbos and the stage 1 drop in.

Now the stage 1 turbo has a different mounting flange, oil drain, and downpipe.
Hope that clears it all up for ya.
Very good info, thank you for clearing that up. Wish Justin spelled that out on his website, I think more people would do that upgrade if he did.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be great if Justin were to spend a small amount of time, say an hour or so once or twice a week to show support for the community that helps to support his business.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It would be great if Justin were to spend a small amount of time, say an hour or so once or twice a week to show support for the community that helps to support his business.
I believe that he does. I'm pretty sure that he's a member over on Ford Truck Enthusiasts. I know that he was a member on here too, but had some personal conflicts with some others. I'm not a member of FTE, that was before my time here, so I don't claim these to be absolute truths, just the facts as best I know them.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just a heads up - I got a wicked wheel ordered about a week ago, it arrived and I installed it in my Factory Turbo '93.
I went from ~11 PSI absolute max, to about ~15 PSI. It's a bit louder(when spooled) and it spools better too.

In a few weeks, I'm going to go see Russ about his improvements and see what I can afford to buy from him. I'm not too concerned about having spent money on this wicked wheel at this point; it did help a bit, and I have plenty of trucks it could go in if I get something better from Russ.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, just a heads up - I got a wicked wheel ordered about a week ago, it arrived and I installed it in my Factory Turbo '93.
I went from ~11 PSI absolute max, to about ~15 PSI. It's a bit louder(when spooled) and it spools better too.

In a few weeks, I'm going to go see Russ about his improvements and see what I can afford to buy from him. I'm not too concerned about having spent money on this wicked wheel at this point; it did help a bit, and I have plenty of trucks it could go in if I get something better from Russ.

Nice, is that without changing fuel and timing? How much faster spool?
Oh and is your wastegate wired shut or just unplugged, or still functioning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01