94 IDI Seems to be dying @123K miles!!

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I don't know what to think! I had posted a couple of days ago about mu o/d light flashing. While I was trying to solve that, things seem to be goin' to He!! in a handbasket!
I changed the oil and filter this morning, and the air filter, (both past due) I also put in a bottle of Lucas. The truck is blowing a lot of blue smoke, and the rubber breather tube to the air filter (crankcase breather tube) had fallen off & I didn't notice untill I had driven about fifteen miles and along with the blue smoke, that is more noticeable under acceleration, there was smoke coming from under the hood- -the breather tube is omitting a lot of blowby looking smoke!! Looks bad!
This truck only has 123k miles. I bought it recently from a member here and have had good service so far, but this seems pretty bad. I use the truck to pull a smaller mid sized track hoe (17K lbs) and a backhoe (15K lbs) and is my daily driver. The truck was out of town with a work crew for a few days, and when it came back, the oil was VERY dirty, oil pressure on a direct reading guage is 5 to 10 lbs lower than before, smoking, and the o/d light is blinking!! I asked, and was told the engine did not overheat.
I'm scratching my head & not sure what to think. Also, it was suggested that Autozone would read the codes for the trans, but they only do 96 & up here.
Anyway, I sure could use some insight from you guys.
Thanks,
Chuck

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you pull the bolt that holds the air filter on, is the end of the bolt saturated with oil. and you can look inside the throat of the intake where the cdr valve hooks and see if you see oil built up on the end of the cdr valve. when was the last time the cdr was serviced. my truck used to do the same thing, blue smoke out the exhaust(and i mean alot), and a excessive amount of blow by out the oil filler cap the oil dipstick and out the cdr valve. turned out to have bad head gaskets and 6 out of the 8 injectors were bad. replaced head gaskets and 8 new injectors and not a bit of blow by now. did you see any water in the oil or oil in the water? did you notice any unusual loss of fluid in the radiator?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. No water in oil, and no oil in water. Fired it up this morning, drove it a round the block, and no smoke! Maybe it needs to get hot to act up.
The cdr, is that the can on top of the valve cover? Is that something like a pcv in a gas engine? If so, what difference would it make if it were defective? Wouldn't the blowby still be there and get sucked throught the intake anyway? If so the thing would still smoke wouldn't it?
I'm not a diesel mechanic by any means, but have been playing go-fast with cars and motorcycles for years.
I'll replace the cdr tomorrow, and hope and pray that fixes it!!!!!
If it does, I owe you a BIG steak dinner!
I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Chuck

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
By the way, the od button is STILL blinking, and the trans is shifting quite hard. Still haven't had the codes read.
Hopefully tomorrow.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to sure where your cdr valve is located mine is behind the air filter next to the firewall. it looks like a big tuna can and its purpose is to catch the oil vapors and oil that builds up in it and relocate it back into the motor so it is not burnt through the intake. on my truck for instance the cdr is located on the back of the engine so every bit of oil that drips out of the cdr into the intake is burnt in the back two cylenders. oil burns hotter than diesel so it can cause alot of damage to the cylinders. the cdr valve should be serviced every oil change or no longer than every other one. instead of replacing it clean it and see if that helps. soak it in gas and sloush the gas around in it until the gas is clean coming out of it. let it air out do not use compressed air to blow it out, it can rupture the diaphram inside of it. have you noticed any difference in the way your tack is working?