6.0 possible injector issues

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Sounds like new injector time.
I figure so Imma throw it on the scanner agian.we unplugged the icp with it isles so we could get it to lope and smoke and started unplugging injectors and killed 4 of 4 on the passenger side and it finally quit smoking and loping but would still pop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Not at all!

I want all the eyes on this as possible.
I appreciate any knowledgeable response and encourage it.

Thank you @bismic1 for getting in on it.
Me to y’all have been a big help to me.im tryna learn as much about this thing as I can and y’all have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Got it back on the scanner tonight.1-4-6-7 all are in the negatives at idle on the contribution test but only number one shows up anything on the buzz test and that’s for high circuit

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it back on the scanner tonight.1-4-6-7 all are in the negatives at idle on the contribution test but only number one shows up anything on the buzz test and that’s for high circuit

It’s very interesting that it is those 4. Could be coincidence. But those are some steep odds for those 4 to have failed at the same time. Those are all on the same driver in the FICM as stated earlier.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
It’s very interesting that it is those 4. Could be coincidence. But those are some steep odds for those 4 to have failed at the same time. Those are all on the same driver in the FICM as stated earlier.
Well we’ve tryed a different ficm before and nothin changed.we did a cut out test though with me revvin the truck up to make it pop and smoke and nothin made a difference inless all 4 are makin it do it cause when they weren’t hitting it didn’t pop or smoke

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re like me then throwing 4 new injector in, probably isn’t a financial expenditure that you’re looking forward to.

If you’re not wanting to chase a wiring or electrical issue and you’re pretty sure that it truly is the injectors, you might consider marking all of the injectors 1-8. Then swapping them all. I would keep them on the same bank.

Swap 1 and 7 with 3 and 5
Swap 4 and 6 with 2 and 8.

If you end up with the same issue then it’s not the injectors.

If it moves to 2, 3, 5, 8 then its following the injectors and most likely not in the rest of the system.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If you’re like me then throwing 4 new injector in, probably isn’t a financial expenditure that you’re looking forward to.

If you’re not wanting to chase a wiring or electrical issue and you’re pretty sure that it truly is the injectors, you might consider marking all of the injectors 1-8. Then swapping them all. I would keep them on the same bank.

Swap 1 and 7 with 3 and 5
Swap 4 and 6 with 2 and 8.

If you end up with the same issue then it’s not the injectors.

If it moves to 2, 3, 5, 8 then its following the injectors and most likely not in the rest of the system.
First thing imma do to eliminate wiring is put this new harness on when it gets here.if it follows imma try the other ficm agian. If it’s still there then I’ll know it isn’t the harness or ficm for sure that’ll keep us from Havin to pull the whole system apart to change the injectors and will eliminate any wiring problems on the top or am I wrong?

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I knew nothing about the truck other than those four injectors were all acting up, then I would be looking at the FICM or the plug between the FICM and the harness.

I typed what I typed previous because it seemed earlier that you were dead set that the FICM was fine and that once you zip tied the harness, I thought you said it was all good.

I do believe it’s in the FICM or the harness.

Reading your past few posts it sounded like you were about to throw four injectors at it because you felt it was an injector issue rather than something else.

I was trying to prevent you from doing that.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If I knew nothing about the truck other than those four injectors were all acting up, then I would be looking at the FICM or the plug between the FICM and the harness.

I typed what I typed previous because it seemed earlier that you were dead set that the FICM was fine and that once you zip tied the harness, I thought you said it was all good.

I do believe it’s in the FICM or the harness.

Reading your past few posts it sounded like you were about to throw four injectors at it because you felt it was an injector issue rather than something else.

I was trying to prevent you from doing that.
I was about to but I went ahead and messed with the plug and got it runnin back to how it was with the original problem.that harness should be here Friday so I can try it first and that other ficm agian.. but why would it run the same with the other ficm on it when we first tested it?

Crawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was about to but I went ahead and messed with the plug and got it runnin back to how it was with the original problem.that harness should be here Friday so I can try it first and that other ficm agian.. but why would it run the same with the other ficm on it when we first tested it?

If it’s in the harness then the FICM won’t change anything.

The low voltage pre FICM is not good. We’ve brought this up and it needs to be addressed.

Right now you just have to chase one issue down at a time.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said Crawler.

OP - every mechanic I know has a spare (known to be good) FICM to use for testing. It is about the only way to identify a FICM w/ a bad logic board (ie install one known to be good and see if it resolves the issues).

That said, most individuals aren't going to have one. In that case, the best thing to do is to send your FICM in to a reputable/honest shop for it to be tested.

For that I recommend FICMrepair.com.

Shortcuts when troubleshooting can cost you a LOT of money.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to weigh in a bit here, been reading and learning too. To me it sounds like an issue with the ficm harness connector, I’ve had similar issues with the dt466e engines. I would ohm out the harness, but if you got another one coming already...