2018 Oilburners Rally

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago traveling home from work (16 miles away) on interstate highway US 70 my E40D transmission decided to quit all forward gears at 70 mph. Drifted to a safe spot to investigate. No forward but reverse acted normal. AAA to the rescue for the 5 mile tow home with a tail dragger tow truck. One thing a owner does not want to hear from the driver "never towed a truck before".

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
Squeeeeeeeeeeezed on there. First driver (same truck) said no way.

Sorry about your trans :(
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you going to get it going for the rally? im in the same boat on a trans rebuild. mine works but just not to my standards.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you going to get it going for the rally? im in the same boat on a trans rebuild. mine works but just not to my standards.
That is my plan. Currently the trans is out. There is a very knowledgeable trans rebuilder near Cearfoss MD I'm getting to rebuild it, but scheduled for next week. Pics and diagnosis to follow. Any upgrades I should ask the rebuilder about?

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Wow Robert, you are taking pre rally truck jitters to a whole new level! Sorry to hear about it, but glad you have a plan together already.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my plan. Currently the trans is out. There is a very knowledgeable trans rebuilder near Cearfoss MD I'm getting to rebuild it, but scheduled for next week. Pics and diagnosis to follow. Any upgrades I should ask the rebuilder about?

unless you want to use a controller, i think the best thing to do is use all the upgraded parts from a 97 era trans.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't checked prices, but someone told me it's hard to beat a rebuilt E4OD from Ford. All their trannys are rebuilt with all the upgrades, and they come with a very good warranty. I don't know if you need a certified installer to get the full warranty or not.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to do any upgrades that's practical that's for the e40d. Meeting with the trans guy Tuesday for teardown. Will to get pics for a thread on the repair. Loosing the forward clutch appears to be a common thing.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Details to follow but it appears my crew will be -1. Potentially -2. Beginning to wonder why I shelled out so much cash to rent a RV with bunks!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try and make it. Doubt it will ever be closer to home.
Reading the trans woes here I will admit when I bought my truck in 07' it already had a Ford reman E4OD in it.
I run a large trans cooler and temp gauge but once when picking up hay in 08' it got over 280*F (no air flow over cooler, ex was driving. Left it in "D") and it started puking fluid out the front seal. Let cool, added fluid, and 10 years later still works fine. Never had to repair anything.
So I'd not shy away from a Ford Reman. Especially if the price is similar or you're unsure of your builder.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans back from my guy in Cearfoss. Turns out that the main failure point was the mounted center hub brass bushing. Trans parts suppliers make a replacement kit. Also had to get a new forward drum, all fibers and seals.

When the hub bushing got worn enough allowing two metal rings to move in the sealing ring groove more than it was designed for causing accelerated the wear of the rings and seal ring grooves. One of the rings wore so bad it cracked and that was when I lost forward oil pressure.
Additional work who ever rebuilt the trans before must have used an impact or screw gun to reassemble the valve body. Several studs had partially stripped thread holes. They are now Heli-Coiled.

Currently trans bolted in truck, but the rest of the job to complete is planned for this week.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just called into the campground, since I switched jobs entirely and only will have one week of vacation earned by summer I'm coming an extra day to the rally now as Autumn and I are going to take another vacation in fall when I have more time instead of going to the beach first.

So I'm arriving Sunday with everyone else now and heading out Friday. Countdown begins.