2018 Oilburners Rally

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also in Waynesboro is East Side Speedway. http://www.eastsidespeedway.biz/page16.html
They do test and tune on Friday night so we could probably get in on that and turn in the slowest time slips they have ever seen.

I laughed entirely too hard at this!

You've got several great ideas posted up here and I might even consider staying Saturday night for the truck pull.

If anyone else decides to go to the Transportation Museum I'll probably go too. Sounds like it could be interesting. I'll probably send the wife on the wine tour and head over to the war museums :p

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would love to do the go carts and speedway.

Any body else bringing motorcycles? I will have mine.
I hope to this year, I still have to make the camper mount though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All sounds like good ideas to me. I'd be up for the caverns, go-karts, speedway, and truck pulls most of all. I have been wanting to get my truck timed at the drag strip

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I was at the Roanoke transportation museum, it was a little dead. It did have one of the big engines they used to build and run, but it was a non-runner just sitting there. In this link they show some of them they had sitting there, they are monsters.
http://www.vmt.org/collections/rail/

I do not know if you are up to this, it would take the whole day. I really enjoyed the Cass Scenic railway. I rode on the Cass classic Bald Knob run. I see it's rather expensive now at $61 per person. But we left the station about noon, and did not get back till around 5pm. That is a steep railway, it even has a switchback you have to go through to make it up the mountain. They have to stop along the way and add water to the engine. And that engine really struggles sometimes pulling up that hill, it's a pretty good ride as far as train rides go. They push you up the hill so you do not get all the cinders falling on you the way up. You can take a little something to eat, they stay up at the top for a little bit, and make sure you take a light jacket no matter how warm it is at the bottom when you start out.

I did the google map thing, it said from the campground to Roanoke is about 2 hours. That is mostly interstate 81. They showed Cass being 2 hours and 35 minutes. And it's a very curvy winding road, you are pretty much going over to the middle of nowhere. On the way you will see a huge satellite dish they use at the radio astronomy place, it's a quiet zone over there, no one has cellphones because there are no cell towers over there.

Roanoke is way cheaper than the Cass ride, but I had a lot more fun at Cass, if you guys are into to old train rides.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last time I was at the Roanoke transportation museum, it was a little dead. It did have one of the big engines they used to build and run, but it was a non-runner just sitting there. In this link they show some of them they had sitting there, they are monsters.
http://www.vmt.org/collections/rail/

I do not know if you are up to this, it would take the whole day. I really enjoyed the Cass Scenic railway. I rode on the Cass classic Bald Knob run. I see it's rather expensive now at $61 per person. But we left the station about noon, and did not get back till around 5pm. That is a steep railway, it even has a switchback you have to go through to make it up the mountain. They have to stop along the way and add water to the engine. And that engine really struggles sometimes pulling up that hill, it's a pretty good ride as far as train rides go. They push you up the hill so you do not get all the cinders falling on you the way up. You can take a little something to eat, they stay up at the top for a little bit, and make sure you take a light jacket no matter how warm it is at the bottom when you start out.

I did the google map thing, it said from the campground to Roanoke is about 2 hours. That is mostly interstate 81. They showed Cass being 2 hours and 35 minutes. And it's a very curvy winding road, you are pretty much going over to the middle of nowhere. On the way you will see a huge satellite dish they use at the radio astronomy place, it's a quiet zone over there, no one has cellphones because there are no cell towers over there.

Roanoke is way cheaper than the Cass ride, but I had a lot more fun at Cass, if you guys are into to old train rides.

You might make that trip to Cass on a sport bike in 2:35. LOL

That is a really wicked stretch of road over 33 and on over to 219 down that way toward snow shoe. I tossed out other ideas like the greenbrier bunker and the greenbank observatory because they are really long trips over really crooked roads. It’s almost to the point of you can’t get there from here. LOL

I drove route 33 all the way from Weston WV to Harrisonburg last summer on an initial scouting trip. The guys that trailed me down I79 last year know what that end sorta looks like. It gets stupid once you go through Elkins and make the big turn left across the mountains. I can’t imagine back in the day towing the big heavy campers with station wagons through there. Some of the switch backs on Shenandoah mountain, you’d think you were passing yourself.

I’m a WV boy. Anyone that wants to venture a road trip out that way let me know, I’m happy to either guide or give advice. Maps can be highly misleading in that part of the state.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I could join you all but will some day at the moment my idi is getting worked on an well life thru me curve ball with family that has had heart attacks n doing recovery for them any way sounds like an awesome event
Praying for smooth and quick recoveries!

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belmont Farm Distillery https://www.belmontfarmdistillery.com/
This is where ****** Moonshine is made for you fans of the Moonshiners show. It's over in Culpeper not too far away.

Also in Waynesboro is East Side Speedway. http://www.eastsidespeedway.biz/page16.html
They do test and tune on Friday night so we could probably get in on that and turn in the slowest time slips they have ever seen.
Heck yeah on Belmont Farms! Gonna have to wear my overalls without a shirt in honor of Tim Smith.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

As far as a possible drag race.... How about a small displacement class for us non-IDI'ers. LOL
Rob, Jared, and myself have these little engines and need a special class.:angel::peelout

Heath

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yeah on Belmont Farms! Gonna have to wear my overalls without a shirt in honor of Tim Smith.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

As far as a possible drag race.... How about a small displacement class for us non-IDI'ers. LOL
Rob, Jared, and myself have these little engines and need a special class.:angel::peelout

Heath

Small displacement....
You’re funny.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago traveling home from work (16 miles away) on interstate highway US 70 my E40D transmission decided to quit all forward gears at 70 mph. Drifted to a safe spot to investigate. No forward but reverse acted normal. AAA to the rescue for the 5 mile tow home with a tail dragger tow truck. One thing a owner does not want to hear from the driver "never towed a truck before".

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago traveling home from work (16 miles away) on interstate highway US 70 my E40D transmission decided to quit all forward gears at 70 mph. Drifted to a safe spot to investigate. No forward but reverse acted normal. AAA to the rescue for the 5 mile tow home with a tail dragger tow truck. One thing a owner does not want to hear from the driver "never towed a truck before".

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
That sucks. I had good luck with AAA actually. Towed me almost 100 miles from Hancock to Home on a roll back though. I made sure to tell them send a big enough truck. LOL