Zd29s vs Zd9s...for the inquiring mind...

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we could use a heater in the intake like a Cummins instead of the glow plugs. Or maybe an ether system. It's starting to look like glow plugs are off the table.
I am working on an ether system for my 86… gonna give glow plugs one last chance in the service truck. I don’t have high hopes…

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m tempted to buy one or two of every brand of glow plug we can think of, and make a test stand with an automatic timer relay that heats them all for 15 seconds every ten minutes. After 1000 cycles we can compare them all.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we could use a heater in the intake like a Cummins instead of the glow plugs. Or maybe an ether system. It's starting to look like glow plugs are off the table.
I doubt a grid heater would work. I don't think it would get the pre chamber hot enough. If you've never experimented, even with it being 70-80°F and the engine cold you still need some sort of heating aid, whereas a DI engine is good down to below 40 usually. Just the nature of an IDI engine.

Ether system would work, but I don't really want another consumable on the truck. Back in the day auto parts stores had the bottles on the shelf, and you could swap them out easily enough, but that's almost a thing of the past anymore.

If y'all are having enough glow plug issues to switch away from plugs altogether, why not try a manual button and self-limiting 60g's? Me and a few others have made that switch and I haven't heard of anyone contemplating on going back. You'll be going to a manual switch anyways with a grid heater or ether injection.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking ether system because I saw bottles on the shelf at NAPA recently. The alternate plugs might work out. Which ones are you using?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking ether system because I saw bottles on the shelf at NAPA recently. The alternate plugs might work out. Which ones are you using?
Plugs that go in place of the glow plugs?
You must be registered for see images attach

Thread is 10MM x 1.0

Part numbee is 3678923

Black dawg

Reaction score
I’m tempted to buy one or two of every brand of glow plug we can think of, and make a test stand with an automatic timer relay that heats them all for 15 seconds every ten minutes. After 1000 cycles we can compare them all.
This would be interesting for sure, but only part of the equation. I have seen certain plugs that tend to burn out from engine running somehow. Have also seen plugs that erode or melt relatively quickly from alternative fuels. A very popular plug used in gm idi diesels, the 60g, would, in my experience fail in short order with even very low mix of wmo.

Test would be interesting though and would show how differently each plug glows and the time it takes to get there.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have tried the grid heater (used from 12v cummins). Maybe in a warm climate with a easy starting engine, but on the couple I tried it on, any temperature that would require glow pkugs normally, would not start on the heater alone.

Have also tried the ether systems, never could get the amount of ether regulated down enough for easy consistent, non locking up starts. If you got the timing of ether delivery and cranking down perfect it was pretty amazing how easily one would start. Had a few actual engine block measured temps of minus 15 that started like summertime. Pretty amazing.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
These glow plug problems/ troubles/ imitations are starting to really bug me! Buy a set and litterally have no idea what you're buying!

I been thinking & thinking & I think I finally decided a solution for me!!!!

When I was a 11-12 yr old kid my farmer neighbor had a big 'ol JD "POPPIN JOHNNY" farm tractor as well as other smaller tractors I used to drive, all having Hand Start Cranks on them that you used to crank over engine to start it.

That big JD Poppin Johnny had big heavy counterweight side mounted flywheel that you cranked on, others you cranked on from front of tractor.

Sooooo...... I'm going to rig up big side mounted heavy crank-on-it flywheel onto Bessie. Rig up hand crank in front under radiator support!~~~~~

I'll crank on big side mounted crank while Carol cranks on front hand crank.

Glow plug solution!!! Junk plugs solution!!!

Black dawg

Reaction score
These glow plug problems/ troubles/ imitations are starting to really bug me! Buy a set and litterally have no idea what you're buying!

I been thinking & thinking & I think I finally decided a solution for me!!!!

When I was a 11-12 yr old kid my farmer neighbor had a big 'ol JD "POPPIN JOHNNY" farm tractor as well as other smaller tractors I used to drive, all having Hand Start Cranks on them that you used to crank over engine to start it.

That big JD Poppin Johnny had big heavy counterweight side mounted flywheel that you cranked on, others you cranked on from front of tractor.

Sooooo...... I'm going to rig up big side mounted heavy crank-on-it flywheel onto Bessie. Rig up hand crank in front under radiator support!~~~~~

I'll crank on big side mounted crank while Carol cranks on front hand crank.

Glow plug solution!!! Junk plugs solution!!!
The way I have been doing it is, functioning 7.3 style controller gets beru plugs from known source. I have seen a few bad plugs over the last couple years.

Everything with manual glow plug control gets 80034 bosch plugs. Have yet to see a burnt out one.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was searching for the 80024 for my 86 today. They almost none existent. Most sites NLA, No Stock, Back ordered etc...
Found one today with 11, and bought all of them. We`ll see if it goes through, Auto-HausAZ had them for $6.83 (or something like that), but later cancelled the order.
Wish these people would up date their on line catalog.

E-Bay may have them, but probably $100 ea...LOL

Iam using the same ZD-1 plugs, probably the past 5 years.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Same here. I think I replaced a couple while I was overhauling my engine back in early 2018. None since then. I keep telling myself that I should check them, but I forget until the next time I say it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I was searching for the 80024 for my 86 today. They almost none existent. Most sites NLA, No Stock, Back ordered etc...
Found one today with 11, and bought all of them. We`ll see if it goes through, Auto-HausAZ had them for $6.83 (or something like that), but later cancelled the order.
Wish these people would up date their on line catalog.

E-Bay may have them, but probably $100 ea...LOL

Goat
Have zero experience with the 80024. Just looked them up, they dont look to have the duratherm element like the 80034. I would be very careful with those plugs.

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80024 is a Spade
80034 is a Spade

My 86 uses the ZD1 plugs, so the 24 should be the right one.

Did some google searching, and everything I came up with, is the 24 is for my 86 F-250.
The 34 is not compatible with my truck.

80034 is for 1994 - 2004 GM
Chevy 6.2L & 6.5L

Looked at a listing on Amazon for the 80024
Show old style and new style.
Date first available;
Old style Jan 8, 2006
New style Dec 15, 2017
new style is Duratherm.

I doubt there is many of the old style left
by this many years down the road.

Here is the Amazon link. Scroll all the way down shows diagram of the inards of the plug.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online