Zd29s vs Zd9s...for the inquiring mind...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried it but from the picture it looks like you clip vice grips to the hex part of body, set the electrical pin on the positive terminal and whatever part of vice grips that reaches on the negative terminal.

James

Black dawg

Reaction score
Comparison of genuine ZD-9 and the new 29.
I dont know why it took me so long to realize this, but the first zd29 plugs that I got over the last few months, were 2 plugs per bag, And part number was zd29. Now all of the ones that I have are one plug per bag with the zd29-1x part number. I really hope they arent changing something with these plugs.......

They still look like a beru germany made plug, so I guess we will see.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Zero problem with using a test light to test, as long as it is not an led style light.

Although I have seen plugs (junk brands) that would test light fine, and even ohm out, that wouldnt get hot when power was applied. Like they would go open as soon as there was a load through them.

Last edited:

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I haven't tried it but from the picture it looks like you clip vice grips to the hex part of body, set the electrical pin on the positive terminal and whatever part of vice grips that reaches on the negative terminal.

James
Thanks. Looks like that way works.

BTW couple nites ago I was poking around on Amazon and found “Genuine” ZD9’s for all way from $110/set down to $32/set. One set $79 barely showed the “B” of writing.
SCARY!!!!!
I learned my lesson few yrs ago off of EBAY for a cheap set that broke off.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I just clamped the glow plug in the vicegrip and touched it across the battery terminals. Tip on positive and the thumb screw on negative. Sorry about the bad picture. I didn't realize it was bad til I was posting it. I wanted to test them before installing them because I don't want to take any chances with blown up glow plugs or ones that just don't work. It's also very easy to see it heats good. And the zd29 plugs are still working good. I drive it everyday.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
So @Reggie f250 & you other guys, when you battery testing glowplugs about how long you test & glow & heat them up usually? One at a time like this vs all hooked up in engine & turned on might be different.
I've always test lited them, but this way makes more sense to me now.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So @Reggie f250 & you other guys, when you battery testing glowplugs about how long you test & glow & heat them up usually? One at a time like this vs all hooked up in engine & turned on might be different.
I ran it for all of 4 seconds before the whole plug glowed and I could feel the heat from over 2 feet away.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Voltage to the plug is quite a bit more when only powering one, and with almost no wiring involved. Every plug I put in gets power put to it for 4 or 5 seconds as a test. I think I have had one beru that was bad or failed (cant remember wich) during that test, and that is in many years and accross many different applications.

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept mine on the battery at least 10 to 15 seconds. I wanted to make sure it would work and survive. Also my controller currently keeps them on 20 to 25 seconds in the morning. It's still the original controller. I've considered making it manual because it runs the plugs even when the engine is hot.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I kept mine on the battery at least 10 to 15 seconds. I wanted to make sure it would work and survive. Also my controller currently keeps them on 20 to 25 seconds in the morning. It's still the original controller. I've considered making it manual because it runs the plugs even when the engine is hot.
If your controller is keeping them on that long, i bet your wiring has pretty substantial voltage drop.

stony7933

Reaction score
Do you have a picture or schematic on how to make a manual push button setup... New to the diesel world but I like this idea