Zd29s vs Zd9s...for the inquiring mind...

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stony, welcome to the Forum.
Fill out your signature as to what truck, year etc... you own. then you be asked what you are talking about.
Do you have 83 - 86 or 87 - 94.
The manual GP set up is a bit different.

There is a thousand threads on the glow plugs, how to wire, wont start etc.

Here is the 6.9/7.3 tech thread. Skim through it, read it to bone up on things.

Goat

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been planning to make the glowplugs work auto or manual. The diagram is what I want to do. It only requires cutting the white wire and connecting the switch I to the circuit. This way I can choose which way I want the glow plugs to work.

Attachments

• 20230326_205820.jpg
    20230326_205820.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 8

stony7933

Reaction score
Stony, welcome to the Forum.
Fill out your signature as to what truck, year etc... you own. then you be asked what you are talking about.
Do you have 83 - 86 or 87 - 94.
The manual GP set up is a bit different.

There is a thousand threads on the glow plugs, how to wire, wont start etc.

Here is the 6.9/7.3 tech thread. Skim through it, read it to bone up on things.

Goat
Ok I will do that with my signature. I've been looking at some of the other post about it but was kinda confused by some of them being new to diesels

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is one from the FTE Forum.
Lots of info about Glow Plugs, how they work, which ones to buy. (ZD-9 for your 90)
It`s long and a good read.

I have a 86, so had a different GP Controller, and it wired different than the Later one your truck has.
The Dieselstop link says something about the white wire. Maybe you ground it, not sure. be sure to read through it to do it correctly.

Goat

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The controller grounds the white wire to turn on the relay. To make it manual you connect to the post for the white wire and run it to a push button and connect the other side of the button to ground.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will do that with my signature. I've been looking at some of the other post about it but was kinda confused by some of them being new to diesels
Yeah, there's just a couple variations of stuff on these trucks. And if some of these guys know your specifics, they can assess any situation. Welcome to the club!

stony7933

Reaction score
I just got my zd29s in the mail today from rock auto. They came in the motorcraft bags. So I guess we will see how it goes.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced mine today so here's a picture of the two side by side for comparison.

The only difference I can tell is the writing/stamping. New ZD29 have no mention of "BERU GERMANY" on them, although they did say made in Germany on the package. Otherwise they look identical to me.

These were ordered from RockAuto for what it's worth.

You must be registered for see images attach

DuRolf

1989 Ford E 350
Reaction score
Fellow Ohmists, I am in the process of changing my glow plugs today. I got eight ZD29s from O'Reilly. They all came in Ford Motorcraft labeled plastic bags saying "made in Germany".
Stamped on the barrels between the threads and glow tip are
ZD29 2216
E2510 061143 10.5v

With the four digit number on the row with "ZD29", above the 10.5v stamp, changing.

I tested them all with a Innova 3340a multimeter with alligator clips and got the following ohm readings:
0.3 wandered a lot
0.3 wandered a lot

All of the readings wandered some, and two did quite a bit, from 0.1 up to 0.5 or 0.6.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little oxidation, dirt, or varying pressure on the contact can make that kind of difference in the reading. Without a good four-wire ohmmeter it's hard to measure accurately in the tenths of ohms.
You could hook each one up for just a couple of seconds to the batteries and see how long it takes each one to glow. This is also not a quantitative test, of course, but will at least tell you if any won't work...

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we could use a heater in the intake like a Cummins instead of the glow plugs. Or maybe an ether system. It's starting to look like glow plugs are off the table.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online