VSS, Cruise control and OD light...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, there's that. But please explain to me why upon replacing the original VSS, the cruise work and the second time I replaced it did not. Nothing different other than the manufacturer, two new parts, one two wire plug, one bolt. First time, pulled out of the driveway got to 50mph and engaged the CC and it checked all functions and it worked as designed. Other than a increase in the speedometer fluctuation, it was fine. Five minutes later, it went totally up. We finished the intended errands and returned home. The truck sat for a week or so then I put the Motorcraft VSS in and repeated the same drive, engaging the CC at 50mph and nada...

My point being, the speedometer gets its signal from the VSS. The speedometer is functional, and hasn't really changed much other than not being as smooth with the BWD sensor. So yes, my assumption is coincidence. I wouldn't have been surprised if the VSS had been the problem, but evidence appears contrary to that conclusion.

I hate electrical gremlins!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull out your glove box.

The ABS control box is behind that. Unplug that box.

Now go for another drive and check the speedo.

I will second this if you haven't disconnected it yet, I remember you bypassing the valve but don't know if you touched the controller wiring in the cab. I remember reading something about this elsewhere. I don't really understand why it would affect it, but it's easy enough to try.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Progress. :D

Wait. No change in what?

I didn't think that module would affect the cruise control.

What I said was that unplugging that module got rid of the fluttering speedo needle, for me.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The speedometer fluttered slightly with the original. When I installed the BWD VSS the cruise control worked for a bit, but the fluctuation increase markedly. Then, when I installed the Motorcraft VSS, the cruise control was not functional but the flutter was back to where it has been since I bought the truck - very slightly and only at highway speeds, not much, you've got to look for it.

GreggH

Reaction score
Definitely interested in what you figure out. I had the OD light flashing and speedo jumping. I didn’t know better and ended up blowing the front seal out of the freshly rebuild trans so Pulled it out again and had it rebuild (rechecked) again. Then started tracking down the problem. Replaced the wiring connector going into the trans control module (I believe) because the lock clip was broke off and trans guy thought it might be sliding up and partially unplugging causing the problem. that didn’t fix it. Replaced the speed sensor and FIPL sensor, still didn’t fix it. Trans guy recommended possibly the speedometer jumping causing trans to shuttle shift back and forth, so switched that out on the cluster. Still didn’t fix it. I eventually ended up finding a wire in the speed sensor harness about midway between the axle and frame that was had about 2 strands of wire keeping it connected. I fixed that and it took care of the OD light, but still have the bouncing speedo.

yes it is an O’reilly’s bought speed sensor so might eventually try an OEM one to see if that works after reading this about aftermarket ones causing the bouncing.

my cruise doesn’t work either. Not sure if it’s necessarily related though

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely interested in what you figure out. I had the OD light flashing and speedo jumping. I didn’t know better and ended up blowing the front seal out of the freshly rebuild trans so Pulled it out again and had it rebuild (rechecked) again. Then started tracking down the problem. Replaced the wiring connector going into the trans control module (I believe) because the lock clip was broke off and trans guy thought it might be sliding up and partially unplugging causing the problem. that didn’t fix it. Replaced the speed sensor and FIPL sensor, still didn’t fix it. Trans guy recommended possibly the speedometer jumping causing trans to shuttle shift back and forth, so switched that out on the cluster. Still didn’t fix it. I eventually ended up finding a wire in the speed sensor harness about midway between the axle and frame that was had about 2 strands of wire keeping it connected. I fixed that and it took care of the OD light, but still have the bouncing speedo.

yes it is an O’reilly’s bought speed sensor so might eventually try an OEM one to see if that works after reading this about aftermarket ones causing the bouncing.

my cruise doesn’t work either. Not sure if it’s necessarily related though

Did you try did you try unplugging ABS box behind the glove compartment?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online