Wierd turbo kit

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like one of those Canadian systems that use the RayJay turbo, I believe its from turbo engineering or something.

I know where one of those is setting on a truck back in Michigan, but never pulled it becuase Ive heard stories that it doesnt perform as well as the big three.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first 6.9 I had was a 84 pickup and it had a turbo setup similar to this. It did pretty good. I don't remember a brand name on it but I do remember that it sucked to have the exhaust pipe on that side. Banks had a kit like this that installed on the passenger side of the engine for use in motor homes.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
If it wasn't a dualy, a quick look at the first picture, I would have thought it was BigRigTech's truck.......

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've never seen one in person but it has an exhaust manifold with a flange made onto it then they run a crossover tube from one manifold to the other from stock outlets. it'll work but i cant see it being very efficient. dosen't Redneckaggie have one of those? truck looks real nice though

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea we have seen that one. Pretty rare. Not very well regarded. Definitely not a well balanced system.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo engineering made those IIRC., there is a pic of that exh manifold in Corky Bells Maximum Boost book.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thats odd, thats exactly how I was picturing the turbo setup I'm thinking about for my truck.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh... I see I'm not the only person that spotted that manifold in that book, I knew what it was right away... LOL

By all rights, that setup should be more efficient, and spool quicker than the contemporary setups, as there is much less heat loss with the turbo bolted directly to the manifold like that. Turbo sizing and possibly manifold life were probably the problem with the design, not the path of exhaust to the turbo.
Reversion in the exhaust manifold isn't really an issue as it isn't really designed for one way flow, heck, it's not much more than a simple log. From what I see in the picture though, they could have moved the turbo a bit closer to the front of the truck, their location does put a bit of restriction on flow from the #2 cylinder.
I still think the ideal setup would be a pair of weld-el manifolds and 2 small turbos... Some day I will make that happen.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I still think the ideal setup would be a pair of weld-el manifolds and 2 small turbos.

you are 100% right there, as for heat you hit that on the head also but routing the pass. side's exh into the driverside manifold can't be healthy. although it is kind of a log design it is still designed to flow towards the back and for that matter i'd bet there is a lot of restriction trying to stuff air the wrong direction into it.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this type of turbo kit requires the AC compressor to be removed. If its true, I don't really care even if it does work well. As a potential prospect for tein turbos, it could be interesting though.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Yes i do have one of those and no the ac does not have to be removed but the lines do have to be heat sheilded or pulled away from the turbo. I have not installed it yet as i am looking for a 1 or 2 in body lift because the only probs that i have noticed is that the downpipe is extremely hard to route around the column and brake thing that is on the drivers side frame rail but i will say the good thing about that setup is that by my calculations a holset turbo from a 12v cummins will fit perfectly on that manifold. And just by coincidence I happen to have a few junk 12v motors with good turbos. I might be a guinea pig on that one guys.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i thought it was you, the goat turbo aught to be interesting, make sure to have a boost gauge and a pyro!

sootman73

Reaction score
it cant be that bad of a design. the GM 6.5l work similar to this but just on the passenger side. my friends has really quick response and hits something like 18 if he 4wd launches it...

twin turbos this way sound sweet!

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the turbo books I have shows stuff like that. You should see the few 4.9L I6 Ford's (gas) that have seen pics of w/ a turbo. Some mount it just like that... pipe from the stock exhaust goes under the engine and then the turbo is mounted on the driver side...

As mentioned, the GM 6.2 had kits like that but passenger side instead.

What ever works I guess.....