Why does my rebuilt turbo from Conestoga diesel have a bent/broken housing?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put this turbo on about 6 or 7,000 miles ago. I loosened the 6 bolts to clock it for the intercooler install today (you definitely have to loosen the pedastal bolts to get to bottom bolt type4 haha) and noticed it was hard to rotate. When it finally rotated I saw the orange gasket come out the back, hmm that's because part of the housing is missing. The compressor housing is also bent right there like it was assembled and tightened with something between the mating surfaces and it bent/broke it. Can I get a new gasket for this and run it like this? I don't like that it's cracked and bent. I spent a good bit of money for a rebuilt turbo and this has only been on the truck since the end of October.

Attachments

• 20160319_180347.jpg
    20160319_180347.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160319_180357.jpg
    20160319_180357.jpg
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20160319_181021.jpg
    20160319_181021.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 129
  • 20160319_181248.jpg
    20160319_181248.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 126

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you called suzi yet?
If not ya should!
You sound like your gunning for something!

Edit 3/21
Here's your sign!

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's very frustrating as i wasnt planning on having to pull a turbo while doing an injection pump and intercooler. They arent open on weekends so i have to wait until Monday - had hoped to have this project finished tomorrow - until i can even call and see what can be done. When i purchased this turbo i was charged for the install kit which their website says is included, and again when i purchased my bull moose and misters i was charged for the fuel return line kit which their website says was included.

Moose Mister Mark II Injectors - The only performance injector on the market with an acceptable spray pattern. Dyno proven to develop better atomization and higher boost levels then comparable "pintle free" injectors. Juice up your engine without compromising smoothness or runability. Updated tooling has allowed us to reduce our price! $775.80 for a complete set of 8 with return line kit included! Requires injector cores for recycling.

We offer COMPLETE high quality in-house re-manufactured turbochargers for your Ford/ATS turbocharged IDI. All come with a full 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. This is a premium rebuild, ready to go on your engine. All you need to transfer over is the pressure switch. Includes our mounting kit sold separately (below).

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to sugest you may wish to change your attitude on this forum. As mel is in idi circles, considered a star!
I think you may have misread some line items!
I'v bought 2 pumps from the man and never seen a line item stating any extras were included.
He will stand behind his products ! Now if the install went wrong its out of his hands.
The o rings might be on the shelf in town.
Good luck

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was shipped to me out of orientation when i received it, i was able to rotate the exhaust housing but did not need to rotate the compressor when installing. The break was behind one of the brackets. Here's the thread i had about rotating it. I havent had compressor housing off it it until today and i didnt find any pieces in my valley pan.

I'm not attacking anyone personally, just frustrated with the situation I'm in. I'm just going by what their website says. My invoices say i was charged for them, their website says they are included with the purchase.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f30/new-turbo-bolted-together-wrong-544674/

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a million times better to use sugar than salt to win a debate.

as i recall, including the return line kit was something that has changed recently.

ok you got charged for it.
so call them up and talk to them.

that turbo does not look good, i wouldnt install it on my truck either.
however, this is why you inspect items BEFORE install.
things do get missed, altho this would be a big miss, and i dont think they would ship it out this way.

but we are all human.

if you have already installed this and ran it, you have no case.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been on my truck since October. I didnt disassemble the turbo i had them rebuild becuase i dont know anything about building turbos, i was hesistant on even loosening it to clock the turbo because i thought it might void the warranty. The only thing i noticed with it before i installed it was a broken stud that was drilled out off centered. I had to widen my y pipe hole slightly but i saw no issues with that. I did not notice any damage to the compressor housing. I wouldnt think they'd send anything out like this either but how would that have even broken under any form of use without damaging the compressor? I dont think it could even be physically dropped on that area and break it. It looks like something got bolted together between it.

Attachments

• 20151030_212339_resized.jpg
    20151030_212339_resized.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 248

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly I believe when you loosened and rotated the housing the o ring bunched up and when tightening down the housing you pushed out the piece of metal. Did the o ring have a pinch mark in it.? That is my thoughts and I'm very sorry. I was not there to actually see what I just explained. You have some major damage done now. But lets focus on the repair. Best I can suggest is run it and check for leaks. If you feel its running fine forget about it. Reason I make this suggestion is you did run it and had no idea of this damage. What was your boost? Did you see and oil leaking from this area? Once again I'm not in a position to point fingers at you or Mel or his shop. But clearly something has happened

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
a million times better to use sugar than salt to win a debate.

as i recall, including the return line kit was something that has changed recently.
if you have already installed this and ran it, you have no case.

This isn't a debate, but rather a warranty issue. Sugar or salt is irrelevant if vendor made a mistake. I can't imagine that turbo could be damaged like that from any way be might have run it, or from pulling the housing (any ideas guys?). It was that way upon assembly, probably just an accident and went unnoticed but either way I'd imagine Mel would stand behind it if OP received it that way. Sometimes things happen and stuff slips through the cracks, it's how a vendor deals with it that sets them apart. There are several companies I won't deal with again because they refuse to honor their warranty and stand behind their product (*cough* Tenneco/Monroe/Rancho *cough* You suck!) and there are several that are absolutely awesome and go above and beyond when something goes wrong (Remflex gaskets gets all my exhaust gasket money, you guys rock!). Either way OP, let us know how it turns out.

FWIW, When I ordered a pump and injectors I was charged for the "free" return line kit. I don't appreciate the false advertising, but the cost of a return kit is cheap enough that it's not taking time away from work during the week to call and try to work anything out. It is what it is and despite that I'm very happy with the pump and injectors and would purchase from Mel again. There are very few people who put any effort into developing any performance products for the IDI so I'm glad he does what he does and am happy to buy his parts.

dwhite84

Reaction score
I'm not attacking anyone personally, just frustrated with the situation I'm in. I'm just going by what their website says. My invoices say i was charged for them, their website says they are included with the purchase.

Have you expressed your concerns with Conestoga? Taking to a public forum without first trying to resolve your issues would be considered a personal attack by many. If you have a problem with someone or their business, you should address them privately. Its just the respectable thing to do!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.conestogadiesel.com/products/ford.html
Some one set me straight ( show me on the form / site) and fwiw' who pays for a dinger on a bill when its paid prior to shipping!?
If it advertizes part xyz included' a simple question of " your add lists xyz included' why am I paying for part z?"
Hope I missed something, if not you all got no case!
installer error as stated by gary is on you!
I broke a $1000.00 window on a custom house back when'not the homeowners nor suppliers fault!
If the shop effed up a bolt flange and mis clocked a commonly built item then ...Someone needs a blanket party out back adter work.
Not our call.
No one warenty's a previousley ran componnent put together wrong, no proof!
As you were' cb out

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't make it to tightening it down, the oring starter to come out of the back of the plate when I rotated it. I removed the compressor housing to get the oring out and that's when I noticed the damage. I can't find any pieces in my valley pan or in the shop so it leads me to believe I've been running it this way the whole time. I'm fine with the back plate being broken it looks like it will still seal but the compressor part I don't like being cracked I'm afraid that piece will eventually break off and mess up my compressor wheel.

I've had a beer, I've calmed down, I can't reach the vendor today, or tomorrow otherwise I would have called them. They are great when I talk to them it's just frustrating being stuck.

Let's assume for a second I'm telling the truth, and you were in my position, you opened up the rebuilt turbo you just installed a few months ago and saw this. Knowing there's nothing you did to cause it. I think you'd all be frustrated too when a vendor is unreachable, which is perfectly acceptable on a weekend, I just had plans to have this thing back on the road tomorrow and not it will be mid week at the earliest.

The aluminum looks pretty thick, would an oring bunched even be able to bend that? It looks like there is a knick right there though like a piece of rust or something got tightened between not an oring.

My boost is 1psi at 60mph cruise, 2psi at 70, 6psi wot. I don't think the oring was cut until I rotated it today. I had never loosened the compressor side. I loosened the 4 bolts in an attempt to clock it on install but that didn't work. Rotating the exhaust was enough to get it all lined up that's in the other thread I posted above when I installed the turo

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a problem with someone or their business, you should address them privately. Its just the respectable thing to do!

some parents unfortunately don't teach proper etiquette to their children.