Why does my rebuilt turbo from Conestoga diesel have a bent/broken housing?

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 photos I took the day I went to install it October 31st, 2 photos of the housing as i removed it Saturday. I didn't find any pieces from the backing plate. All bolts were tight on receipt of turbo

Attachments

• 2016-03-21 12.37.01.jpg
    2016-03-21 12.37.01.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 2016-03-21 12.37.40.jpg
    2016-03-21 12.37.40.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 2016-03-21 12.41.03.jpg
    2016-03-21 12.41.03.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 2016-03-21 12.41.24.jpg
    2016-03-21 12.41.24.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 57

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we rebuild a turbo, we have to work with the cores we are sent. Some are better then others, admittedly. We wish they all looked perfect. When we rebuild, we consider how the turbo will WORK. If we deem a part suitable for service, then it goes together and we warranty it. Sure, we could put all new parts into a turbo to make it look perfect, but then you wouldn't buy it because it would be a new turbo, and you don't want to pay a new turbo price. So, compromises have to be made to produce a product that is of high quality with regard to function and durability (which honestly, when your hood is closed, is what you care about), and price. We don't expect people to take stuff apart and nit pic the insides. If you had a problem with how it works, or there is a boost leak, obviously that is a warranty issue and we would deal with it accordingly. We want customers to feel comfortable in using products from us, and obviously if there is something we need to do to make it right, we would want to do so.
I spoke with Shawn on the phone, and he seems to be satisfied with the situation so, onward and upward.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to apologize to Mel, I pulled this apart and saw what I thought was an issue but it is all fine. I did not realize it's normal. He did go out of his way and call and make sure I was satisfied with everything. In speaking with him I can just replaced the oring and it will be fine.

I am relieved to know it wasn't anything I did and won't cause any issues.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel was right, when i purchased my injection pump and injectors the $61 was zeroed, when i purchased my turbo it wasnt though. I just glanced over the invoice and thought i was charged this time too.

Attachments

• 20160321_182128_resized.jpg
    20160321_182128_resized.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160321_181200_resized.jpg
    20160321_181200_resized.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 39

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
[Quote: Agnem With regard to what happened with your turbo, obviously we can take care of this issue any way you see fit. The O-ring tore because the lubricant was gone. Normally, any housing clocking that needs to be done should be done before the turbo is run. In a case like this, the housing should have been removed, and the o-ring re-lubed.end quote]

Mel, If I may suggest, maybe you should include re-clocking instructions with your turbos. The one I purchased was clocked slightly different than my original. After several attempts to get it bolted to the pedestal and a lot of frustration and waisted time, I had to re-clock it slightly.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put this turbo on about 6 or 7,000 miles ago. I loosened the 6 bolts to clock it for the intercooler install today (you definitely have to loosen the pedastal bolts to get to bottom bolt type4 haha) and noticed it was hard to rotate. When it finally rotated I saw the orange gasket come out the back, hmm that's because part of the housing is missing. The compressor housing is also bent right there like it was assembled and tightened with something between the mating surfaces and it bent/broke it. Can I get a new gasket for this and run it like this? I don't like that it's cracked and bent. I spent a good bit of money for a rebuilt turbo and this has only been on the truck since the end of October.

I gotta say... I'm somewhat surprised at how quickly everyone jumped down the OPs throat. If this would have happened to me... I would have done the same. I don't see any badmouthing but I do see him asking if he can just fix it and run it to get his truck back on the road... some people rely on their trucks. He couldn't contact the company and get their input on the weekend so this was the next best thing.

Glad to see it got sorted quickly..

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not everyone' but I restrained myself from my first reaction.
Now the " here's your sign" was aimed at the (I got ripped off sentiment) read the line items on bill first.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. I will say that when you have a high dollar item come in damaged, it would be easy to get a bit panicked and start ranting about it... However the OP didnt. I also know that Mel is a big supporter of the site and people are quick to defend his name here... but in this case, it wasn't necessary.

I'm just glad it was handled... just hope others may be a bit slower to respond that way next time.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ended up not being damaged, it left like that. Though several here said it wouldn't and that I damaged it clocking it

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was cracked and broken in the pictures but that's how the core was received and it will be fine to run. I purchased a rebuilt didn't wait for mine to be rebuilt

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Then they'll warranty it if any issues come up with it. Its always a good idea to get it noted either way as they may have not noted it in their records when they sent it out and it could have come back on you if problems would come up down the road.

Even if it wont cause issues, its always a good idea to get in contact with the company (whom ever it may be) and let them know and go from there... "Cover thine own ass"... lol

Its also a good idea to ask when in doubt. If it could have caused an issue and you would have ran it like that, it would have been on you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It was me that suggested you damaged it when you clocked it. I based my opinion solely on the fact that you modified the turbo. Not thinking that an item like this could have been shipping WITHOUT notifying you tells another story. But relying solely on what you posted was the only conclusion from many years of working on these turbos and engines gave me. When only part of a issue is posted most here will try very hard to determine what a good answer will be. Pointing fingers and blaming anyone is not the norm here. Thats fine for other diesel forums but not here. I believe this forum has more compassion for a member that has a question or problem they need help with. Thats why answers can come at any time day or night. I don't feel I need to apologize for suggesting the damage was done by the "last person touching" the turbo either. I did learn something on this thread and will use it in the future. I still enjoy learning.
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while.....:angel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online