Who's smarter?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Real jeeps, made by AMC don't look angry they look excited to be there.
LOL
Also I forgot that Mahindra and Mahindra we're licenced by Willy's during WW2 to make jeeps in India.
Now there's some history that I didn't know, but it makes sense that Willys couldn't keep up with the demand.
Chrysler dropped the ball.
There's nothing new at all.
The more add on do dads, the more people expect them, and the higher the prices go.
I couldn't agree more.
People today would not buy a PU Truck that was sold back in to 50`s, 60`s, look how they look down their noses at these IDI made in the 80 - 90`s.

People really just need something to go from point A to point B.
This is a small part of the point of this thread.
For what new stuff costs, we should be able to option how we would want it to cut costs.
Again, I couldn't agree more. I also think that all the dealers/manufacturers want to do today is talk you into more options so the cost goes up, not fewer so the cost stays lower.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People today would not buy a PU Truck that was sold back in to 50`s, 60`s, look how they look down their noses at these IDI made in the 80 - 90`s.

People really just need something to go from point A to point B.
I would, I know where a '49 F-1 in a barn that if I could convince the guy to sell it to me and I hadn't figured out how to run my trucks on waste oil, I'd drive it as a daily.

As far as my 86 dually, when I get back to it. It's going to be my luxury truck, in sleeper fashion. Everyone on the road will think it's just a rusty old truck but it'll actually be an 8000lb luxury liner with AC, electric windows, and a CD player. It will be able to run, go, and stop........ wait....... do new vehicles do something other than that?

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the chatter and clatter in my truck, but if the difference between my wife riding with me in it or not was insulation, you’d best believe I’d have quality insulation on order in an instant.

I love my truck and I love my gal, and spending money to be able to spend time with them both at the same time is a worthwhile investment. Time is precious. I’d sacrifice a little engine noise in the cab if it meant my old lady was co-piloting from the the passenger captains chair often.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
I just assumed that us old diesel guys were supposed to learn to enjoy the sound.
And I didn't see myself coming around to that thinking. lol
Does your truck have the engine side firewall insulation mat? In stock form with none of the sound insulation removed, and no holes in the firewall, these trucks really are not that much noiser in the cab than the gassers in the same years. Any holes in the firewall, and any missing insulation (hood mat?) lets lots more sound into the cab.

What noise are you hearing in the cab mostly, diesel rattle, or intake noise?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What noise are you hearing in the cab mostly, diesel rattle, or intake noise?
Both.
The hood mat is there. It's a fibrous material. It's got a few spots that are damaged but not much material missing. The firewall has a hard rubber "shield".

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
I just assumed that us old diesel guys were supposed to learn to enjoy the sound.
And I didn't see myself coming around to that thinking. lol

If you do decide to do it, don`t expect to have it all done in one day. it is time consuming with removing everything, vacuuming it and washing with soap and hosing it out. open all the drain plugs.
I wiped it down with wax and grease remover just to be safe.
When you put the stuff down, it is like applying a bumper sticker, pull the paper backing off, line it up where you want it, lay it down, and with the little wooden roller, roll it in with no bubbles under it. It`s sticky, I used some of those HF light blue vinal gloves.

Ford added those tar pads, I used a HF air chisel to removed them, don`t be surprised there isn`t some rust under them. They trap water under them. Then wipe it down with Wax and Grease remover.

I get it at O`Really`s, won`t be in the store, just get it on line and pick it up the next day.
Was $26 last time I bought it. Pimple faced kid said he couldn`t find it on the computer, wanted to sell me Master Craft brand for $35 that was on the shelf.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...l-1-gallon-wax-and-grease-remover/kln4/sw3621

If your door seals and window channel and window wipes are gone, replacing them makes a huge difference.
On my 86 the door glass just banged back and forth, and lots of air noise driving.

With the after market door seals, I could not get the doors to shut tight, would not suck all the way in. Along the stricker edge of the door, it was out 1/4". About 5 months later I was at PNP and came across a 02 or 04 F-350 with that door and a half thing.
Door seal looked good so grabbed both.
(Washed them up in the bath tub)

They will be way longer than you need, find center, start at the top of the door. Push it on the pinch weld and work both ways down the sides etc...
Where the over lap at the bottom, cut them off more towards the back edge of the seat. Just don`t want the seam where you get in and out.

Edit:
I think the 04 Door seals are like 177" long,
and like my 86 single cab is something like 142". so you have plenty to work with.

Goat

Last edited:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever thought that when you are all wrapped up in the emotion of buy that new vehicle.
And lets say the radio is an option, or an up grade from the standard one.
What is it really costing you with all the interest you are paying over the life of the loan?

The banks will love you big time for it.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I would finance a vehicle, but I'm seeing interest rates @ 0%-2.5% as being fairly common.
My daughter is thinking about buying (financing) her 1st new car. Someone hit her rear bumper. The plastic got torn off and one taillight lens is broken and the bumper is slightly dented in.
The hitter's insurance company says total loss. (2003 BMW sedan with 180k on it)
I think we can fix it (half-azzed) pretty cheap and get another year out of it (when the body rust probably won't pass inspection). The car still rips (6 cyl. turbo, 5 spd.).
Waiting to see how much $ they want to give her and how much $ they'll want back if we keep it. I would hope they wouldn't deduct much since they wouldn't have to deal with the hassle of scrapping it.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your door seals and window channel and window wipes are gone, replacing them makes a huge difference.
On my 86 the door glass just banged back and forth, and lots of air noise driving.

Goat
My doors and window seals seem ok. I just bought new window bottom trims ("squeegees") as those were dry/cracked/chipped and bothered my bare arm when resting it through the open window.
Most of the engine noise seems to be coming through the firewall but I will consider insulating the floor and doors.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not think to today you can go down to Ford and order a F-250, basic standard cab, vinale seats, rubber floor mat, crank windows, heater,
manual 4-spd, 6 cyl or small V-8.
Just built a plain Jane F-250.. no manual transmission, no 6 cylinder or little V-8… Has a vinyl seat and floor, crank windows… heat, ac, cruise, radio…

You must be registered for see images attach

That’s the lowest price one you can get. I added nothing to it.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Yeah I think I'm less than half that in my truck, from the cost of buying 3 trucks to build one, plus all the stuff I've done to it since then.