Who's smarter?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Back story: During my drive south last Friday night, I saw a nice looking Brick Nose crew cab single wheel with an IDI in it backed in next to a building and I almost turned around to check it out, but I wanted to keep going. Then, a few miles farther south, I met a Bull Nose truck that was heading north with either a new refrigerator or a new gun cabinet/safe standing up in the bed. We both gave each other a big wave. Those trucks sure put a smile on my face and made me do some thinking on the rest of the trip. After that, when I looked at all of the new(er) cars and trucks driving or parked, all I could think was "car payment, car payment, car payment!" I just chuckled and kept driving along. With the price of used cars and trucks and the shape of the economy these days, I fell like I'm MUCH smarted for driving my 35+ year old trucks and not having any car/truck payments. I also think that in a few more months, more people are going to wish that they drove something old like me and had no payments to make on them. I decided to start this thread just to see how many others feel similar to me.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel strongly in your favor. I'll add this caviat: if this news about diesel is serious (and I know it's just a political move, but I REALLY don't want to go there) several of y'all are going to be rubbing your chin looking at your oil change drum and looking over at the fuel door your IDI and saying........,"I think I read a thread on oil burners about this......."

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is something I like about these trucks and an all mechanical diesel. I can't say I am more or less smart but I do know what I believe, and where I see the overall directions of things going, I am happy to not drive anything past 1991. It's nice to not have loans as a bonus.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree. I also don't believe that we are about to run out of diesel fuel. On the other hand, it's about time that I got off of my back side and get the engine swap on my Red Truck done. It's preety hard to keep driving a diesel when gas costs $1.50-$1.60 per gallon.

gandalf

Reaction score
There is a certain wisdom in what you're saying. Up until nine months ago my newest vehicle was a 1995 Caravan. Then I gave way to my inner **** and bought a used 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6 speed manual. I have to admit, I love that car, and I don't have to think to myself, "car payment".

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
There is something I like about these trucks and an all mechanical diesel. I can't say I am more or less smart but I do know what I believe, and where I see the overall directions of things going, I am happy to not drive anything past 1991. It's nice to not have loans as a bonus.
I tend to live a more frugal life. I also can get by on a smaller income that way. I know what it feels like to have payments rake up a large part of your paycheck. When I first started working on these for a living, actually a couple of years later, I was at the point where if I had $20 lefy by the next payday, that was a good paycheck! I hated that feeling and have never bought a very new vehicle againafter I wrecked the 1995 E s c o r t that I gad bought brand new. I missed the gas mileage, but I sure didn't miss those payments.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fell like I'm MUCH smarted for driving my 35+ year old trucks and not having any car/truck payments. I also think that in a few more months, more people are going to wish that they drove something old like me and had no payments to make on them. I decided to start this thread just to see how many others feel similar to me.
Now that I've got this truck where I feel like I could take it on a road trip if I wanted to (although none of my family would want to ride along), and my '85 Benz seems to be as bullet-proof as ever, I just sold my modern SUV.
I haven't had a car payment since 1986 when I vowed, "Never again."
Sure, modern vehicles are really nice. But just not worth the expense, and the dependence on computers and mechanics, to me.
My neighbor just bought a 1983 Mercury Cougar (with only 30k miles) as a summer car. He has a modern vehicle but he wanted something "with character".
Older vehicles trending?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bought a used 2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6 speed manual.
A friend of mine had a Jetta diesel that he absolutely loved. And he's a "buy American guy".
Then they had the recall due to the emissions scam thing. He really wanted to keep it, but the $ they offered him was just too ridiculous to refuse. Such a shame.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to me to buy newer trucks. To get something equivalent to what I have.. 4x4 crew cab long bed setup for hauling/towing, I'd have to spend $80k if not more. Sorry, not interested.

Plus there's the repair aspect, I can work on mine bumper to bumper. Anything newer you have to have access to software to diagnose things, run tests, ect. Nah ill stick to my old truck. It runs just fine.

Now my daily on the other hand... It's a 2014 audi tdi, luckily I already had the software for working on it due to my adventures with older vw's, plus having a V6 awd diesel is something else :peelout

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor said to me I should sell both the 87 and 91 and maybe I could get a newer truck with a turbo for towing. And he's only talking maybe a 2000 ish powerstroke. I said no I'll invest in a turbo eventually for the 91. The cost of diesel sucks but it's still cheaper than a newer truck with payments. I miss my 91 Mercedes 300D.

MadMac

Reaction score
TL/DR... so what: So timely this subject... Just off the phone with the shop... for $3300 in maintainence items for the '85 - I could / would do most of it myself, but for the pile of pre-winter honey-do projects (doing them gladly). This after the exhaust pipe finally "gave it up" and had to be replaced from the downpipe back - still needs a turbo + Injector Pump. Precipitated by consecutive fully loaded / trailered long hauls (2x a month 500 mile round trip).

Wife's last two cars we purchased new - a 2000 Odyssey and a 2019 Pilot - resale values drove those decisions. The van has been incredibly reliable (put aside three transmissions consumed in 150K miles - two warrantee units), it was built in what I now know is the last era of "Honda reliability". The Pilot (<35K miles) is a nightmare - worse by far than my +25 and +35 year old trucks, even or worse than the maint animal v12 BMW (+150K). The Mrs. notes that 5th Honda is the last one she'll ever buy.

For 20 years my two BMW's have been commute cars into/out of the Bay Area, zero regrets. Key learning - use an envelope budgeting method for the maintainence (self: put $500 a month "in the jar"), that seems to have averaged out over the years. I do not miss car payments - not one bit. Pilot + BMW insurance is 10 times (yes, 10x) both trucks. Keeping old trucks running is not free, frankly it is expensive. I find the major barrier is time spent on research and BS.

On the '97 - identification and fitment of parts is very difficult (I'm being kind) - manufacturers are so vastly optimistic - I never purchase parts with no return policies. Example - try to find outside mirror assemblies - none of the three manufacturer's mirrors fit. On that project I gave up, ordered some gigantic Velvac RV mirror heads and customized the mounts for the existing assumbly frames. I'm returning my 3rd set of 1997 Light Truck Parts & Illustration manuals - somehow companies selling manuals think newer sets (2003, 2006) cover 1997 trucks.

Running down Northern California's 101 a week ago - I rolled these musings ( @IDIBRONCO's too - prescient of him! ) through my head, and decided just three things frame my decision to keep my trucks running. 1) Paid For. Not paying $70K for new; Ford, Stelantis, and GM have lost their minds. 2) +600 mile range empty or with full load of tools and trailer 3) same fuel mileage loaded or not and gets me home just the same.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
My neighbor said to me I should sell both the 87 and 91 and maybe I could get a newer truck with a turbo for towing. And he's only talking maybe a 2000 ish powerstroke. I said no I'll invest in a turbo eventually for the 91. The cost of diesel sucks but it's still cheaper than a newer truck with payments. I miss my 91 Mercedes 300D.
I don't like all the problems and cost that comes with powerstrokes. Btdt. Factory Tidi is all i can handle from a 7.3.

Glad i crossed over to the Cummins side when i did. I couldn't afford to switch up now.

drewr13NJ

Reaction score
This is an interesting topic and there are many stand points/views to look at. I have owned several used cars and newer cars, had a couple car payments. I enjoy working on my IDI for the most part. I also enjoyed working on my old International pickups I had, but gas mileage was horrible. I always had someone asking/talking about them at gas stations, which was cool, but they were not very practical. All paid for with cash, but also as a hobby/project vehicle(s). I've always had a nicer/reliable car(s). I feel like having a new vehicle and payment is for people who don't want to work on them in their free time or isn't mechanically inclined, or just can't for various reasons(ie live in a apartment complex, don't have access to tools, etc). That being said, I have considered getting rid of the 2019 in my signature because it is kind of boring to drive. I like my old IDI, but the new truck is turn key, go and just feels more solid/safer than my IDI. Plus my wife doesn't want to ride in my old IDI. That being said, there is piece of mind just jumping in a newer/reliable car and going on a trip half way across the country. I agree that used and new car prices are ridiculous, and I will seriously consider keeping what is paid off as long as I can. I feel a happy medium is keeping a nice, reliable car that gets decent mileage to travel/commute when paired with older vehicles that might be projects tend to be a good combination. Especially in previous economic time when cars were dirt cheap and newish trucks always carried a premium.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a very big misconception when you own a IDI and you think you dont have a car payment!
everytime i drive my truck, i think of 10 different ways to spend that extra $500 bucks i have in my pocket!
and most months, it would have saved me a grand or more in truck parts if i owned a new vehicle!!

however, i digress. that cash gets spent on several vehicles.
i vowed to never buy a new car when i turned 16 and got my first car, a 1960 ranchero ready for daily driving.
jeez, 8 years ago i went to buy a new truck, had 25k in my pocket for a down payment.
and they told me i was going to spend a total of 70k for a crew cab diesel 4 wd.
so i spent the down on my daily!!
shes ready for another round of mods, thats coming up pretty quick...
swapping to a shortbed!

but a few weeks ago, i took my ole POS 98 E350 and gave it a 1 week, $1200 make over!

Attachments

• 15723641_1602611263089309_2540097233963541301_o.jpg
    15723641_1602611263089309_2540097233963541301_o.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 31880768_2265169326833496_2680165888849608704_n.jpg
    31880768_2265169326833496_2680165888849608704_n.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 16
  • 312379460_6476902045660182_1885348502045790440_n.jpg
    312379460_6476902045660182_1885348502045790440_n.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Forum statistics