Who's smarter?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a modern SUV and my (reliable) '85 Benz (summer only), and then I got the '87 truck and got rid of the modern SUV.
It was nice having the newer SUV for all the reasons you mentioned.
Until all the "modern" crap started costing me a fortune to fix or have fixed. And watching my wife and daughter spend even more $ on their newer BMWs (I'm not even attempting to work on those).
Yup. The truck and Benz draws attention as "novelties". And we don't fit in with most of society. But that's how our brains (and hands) work and I guess we have to live with that.
I could afford to finance a new vehicle. And I would probably appreciate it more than what I've got and be able to spend time on more important? things. But I just haven't been able to accept having a car payment since the one time I did it. And I can't get past watching the rapid depreciation of the value of a new vehicle.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old trucks come cheap but they do need more upkeep. Even then, I have yet to come anywhere near the annual cost of a new truck payment. Even during the restoration, the transmission rebuild or the engine rebuild. I shudder to think what it would require to maintain a new 6.7 powered truck when it gets long in the tooth.

Besides, I just can't see myself driving anything else, now that I've had this truck for so long. More mods to come but not in a hurry.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here, Oil Change and lube the King Pins, Tie Rods and DL. Have good rubber and brakes are good as is the Clutch. 330K miles and not afraid to take it any where.
I like older vehicles, they are all paid for, License is $61 a year and only carry liability insurance, and full coverage on it.
My zero to 60 is eventually, I don`t try to keep up with big boys. So I get there a few minutes later than they do, so what.

I do peez off a few people as 90% of all Vehicles are auto trans. They launch it when the light turns green, and take a quick nose dive as Iam grinding through gears...LOL

I would shoot my self if I had to make payments on a new vehicle. The monthly payment, the cost of registration and Insurance...crazy.
Then the depreciation every month and you are making a payment giving the bank all that interest, what`s the final cost of the new vehicle if you keep it long enough to pay it off?

I can dump 10 to 20K in an old IDI and be money ahead in the long run.
I have my 85 F-250 6.9 Banks, 4-spd extra cab 165K miles, and paid $2500 for it, and almost no rust. It is my back up vehicle if something happens to the 86.

I don`t know how you people in the salt/rust belt afford a vehicle. in a few years you can see right through it, and the state fails you on an inspection because of rust. then go back through the cycle of a new one all over.

I have bought 3 vehicles brand new, a 69 VW Bug, 72 F-250 Ranger XLT, 360, 4-spd manual, Posi, and power Disk Brakes. (they were an option back then)
F-250 was cab and chassis, $4600 out the door.
VW think it was $1900
Datsun was $7620

I have had Diesels since 81, and for the most part if you keep up on the maintenance, they just run.

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really enjoying this post!! And just here to echo most of what has been said. Story/rant/reflection time :)

There is no right answer, and 2 sides to the coin, even in the same household......I'll use mine as an example.

Me: Drive old junk in good working order, and monitor it.
Wife: Drive new junk with a security blanket (warranty) and stay ignorant.

I grew up learning/working on "junk" out of necessity, wife....bless her heart....has always had new vehicles until she fell for this peasant :rolleyes:

One day, 2007 Yukon (186k), 6.2l LS (loved that engine), "broke down" up a few switchbacks on black bear pass. She ran it on E, got the fuel pump hot and it shut down on her. Flaming mad at me, I told her it was her own stupidity that put her in that situation. Having none of it, a 2022 suburban now sits in our driveway (business expense) LT-5.3. I still see that Yukon driving around weekly.

Vowing to never mechanically touch the new vehicle, I decided to check the oil. Side Note: These new GM dipsticks SUCK, you actually have to wipe the dipstick clean to get a good reading in the morning before a cold start. I like the old engraved/etched piece of steel I could just pull and look at. 18k miles on suburban, oil NOT even touching the dipstick. I assume due to high compression, low tension rings, and direct injection....? Nonetheless, 1.5 quarts consumed in 6k miles.

That's more oil usage than my 2005 Passat TDI (199k); more usage than my 2002 24-valve (218K) and more oil usage than Wally (80K). I'll keep my old junk I can work on, and keep lifting the hood at every fill-up.

And to echo cost, her 1 vehicle costs over 5x in insurance and registration than my (3) vehicles combined. And I have 10x the state minimums on insurance.

Besides the "short-lived" novelty of a new vehicle, this "throw-away" society would be better off driving their vehicle until an Act of God takes it out. Cause most people do not wear out their vehicle from use, most people "wear out" their vehicles from ignorance and neglect and the consumerism mindset of needing something newer/different/"better".

Plus, I would be deathly afraid to scratch, dent, and beat up a new pickup. So I vote keep old iron running in good condition, and use a bicycle as often as possible, it slows the pace of life.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention,

either jump in the rat-race and buy a new/used vehicle every few years with a warranty.......and wait around at the dealership/service center (wife, whom I love dearly)

Or buy something you want, and learn to work on it, and enjoy the pace of your own pace. (me)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Same here, Oil Change and lube the King Pins, Tie Rods and DL.
Once they're in good mechanical shape, it's mainly just regular maintenance things. Often times, we do have do sink a decent chunk of change, rime, and effort into these trucks when we first get them due to previous owners' neglect. I can understand that it's an advantage of a new vehicle. Just Sick your name about 500 times (it seems) and drive it away.
not afraid to take it any where.
Same here. Mine's a good highway cruiser.
I would shoot my self if I had to make payments on a new vehicle.
I feel the same way. I know that I sure don't spend $600-$1200 each month on upkeep on my truck.
power Disk Brakes. (they were an option back then)
They sure were. I can remember that they used to "brag" about having power disc brakes by putting a circular "disc brakes" emblem right on the brake pedal pad.
Plus, I would be deathly afraid to scratch, dent, and beat up a new pickup.
Me too. That's exactly why I don't have anything that looks showroom perfect.
it slows the pace of life.
I feel that once you discover this secret, the quality of your life gets MUCH better.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned "a dependable newer car"........ALL MECHANICAL THINGS BREAK AT SOME POINT. I wouldn't hesitant to drive my tow truck on used motor oil to California tomorrow if I had to, but I don't have to do I'm not. The same for my 86 bronco or 90 firebird, though I would fuel them with gasoline. As long as a vehicle is mechanically sound, there's no reason it can't be used. If I had a Model T from 1918 or a Model A from 1926 you could drive them 1000 miles no problem as long as they were in good mechanical operation. There a guy on one of my routes that has a Buick Grand National that's in show room condition, really SHOW ROOM CONDITION and it's his DAILY DRIVER! He drove it to Ohio a couple years ago. There's nothing undependable about our trucks........ even if they have.......rust......on them.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but a few weeks ago, i took my ole POS 98 E350 and gave it a 1 week, $1200 make over!

In acknowledgment of potential thread derailment, and I am delirious beyond a doubt, what did you do to the front to raise the distance between the wheel well and tire? It might be the same but looks like you added a small lift or some type. Did you? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

And if you did, do you mind sharing what you did?

Thanks!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention,

either jump in the rat-race and buy a new/used vehicle every few years with a warranty.......and wait around at the dealership/service center (wife, whom I love dearly)

Or buy something you want, and learn to work on it, and enjoy the pace of your own pace. (me)
And just to brag.....my wife likes old stuff too. The firebird and bronco are really hers.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In acknowledgment of potential thread derailment, and I am delirious beyond a doubt, what did you do to the front to raise the distance between the wheel well and tire? It might be the same but looks like you added a small lift or some type. Did you? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

And if you did, do you mind sharing what you did?

Thanks!!
yep. i did a 2" body lift.
anyone that owns a E series knows how much of a pita they are to work on, so i did it for this reason

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Fun fact, after vw's oil consumption issue of the early 2000's most manufacturers now have an acceptable oil consumption limit. For a lot of Cummins engines, 400 miles to the quart is limit. Seems crazy.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun fact, after vw's oil consumption issue of the early 2000's most manufacturers now have an acceptable oil consumption limit. For a lot of Cummins engines, 400 miles to the quart is limit. Seems crazy.
My truck drinks a LOT of oil...... right out of the fuel cell!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online

No members online now.