Who's smarter?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with this. As an example, Jeeps. They used to be simple, low budget, highly capable off road vehicles. These days, they are just fancy cars with boxy bodies to look tough. Sure, they may still be capable off road vehicles, but with all of the added on crap, their cost and complexity are both sky high.
They are certainly NOT jeeps. My oldest brother had 79 CJ5 with a 304 when I was 16...... that's a jeep......I'm spoiled to the idea of that is the measure of jeep. Anything that says jeep on it after 1985 is made by Chrysler, need I say more?

Black dawg

Reaction score
The old jeep thing is cool and all, stupidly simple and somewhat well thought out.

Modern jeeps (solid axle ones) are so much more capable, and pretty highway friendly. Lots of electronics and all that, but that isn't what the majority of people want?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are certainly NOT jeeps. My oldest brother had 79 CJ5 with a 304 when I was 16...... that's a jeep......I'm spoiled to the idea of that is the measure of jeep. Anything that says jeep on it after 1985 is made by Chrysler, need I say more?
Only point I’ll debate is that modern rubicons are highly capable off-road. Non-straight axle jeeps, correct not highly capable.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only point I’ll debate is that modern rubicons are highly capable off-road. Non-straight axle jeeps, correct not highly capable.
The only point I'll add is: have you ever come out on the clutch of a CJ-5 with a 304 V8 under the hood? Buddy, that carbureted American V-8 roars to life, all 4 33" tires start spinning and somewhere deep inside you hear Lee Greenwood, "and I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm jeep!".

Edit: Chrysler has never made a jeep. Willy's, Ford, Keiser, and AMC made Jeeps.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I agree. And no, nothing more needs to be added.
I had a post WW-II Jeep, CJ-2. It had NOTHING, just 4 wheel drive. I spent a lot of time and money making it what I wanted...
I had one of those for a while too. I had it sitting around for several years without doing anything to it, so I got rid of it.
Edit: Chrysler has never made a jeep. Willy's, Ford, Keiser, and AMC made Jeeps.
Absolutely right. As far as I'm concerned, the first bad move was replacing the 256 (8? I don't remember now) with the 4.0. Those 4.0s seemed to have a bad habit of clogging the air filters with oil from blow by gasses from what I've seen.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I'll contribute my 2 cents.....
Before I sold all my IDIs, they were my work vehicles and daily driven.
Once caught up on maintenance, they are extremely reliable and simple.
I would be lying if I said I didn't miss that aspect.
I also think that they are a lot of truck for the money in most cases. If it's NA, and average otherwise, they could be found for prices comparable to a big block pickup of that era.
They are cheap HP that get the job done reliably.
I have since sold them after years of faithful service to buy a power stroke truck 6 months ago and a ranger for a daily.
I really just needed the lower gearing and disc brakes of the power stroke, but I'll admit there is a significant performance difference I didn't expect.
I say all this to point out that buying a newer model truck does not necessarily mean it will be any more reliable.
The power stroke is currently getting a frame off job as can be seen in the PS section. One thing led to another and here we are.
For the record, those who are considering a ps over IDI, unless you absolutely need the upgrade like I did, I suggest you stick to the IDI. The amount over wiring in this truck is unbelievable.
The IDI is night and day simpler.
You just have to choose between power or simplicity.
My goal is to simplify the wiring on the power stroke, but it's still an electronic injection system.

Rock

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't need the power. I bought my IDI because of the simplicity.
But I didn't research the downfalls and didn't test drive it first. My bad.
The 3-speed C6 doesn't seem like it would ever have not been annoying. Even when the speed limit was 55 mph. And I didn't know it was going to be so damned loud inside the cab. :-(
Most folks, including my wife, would prefer to take a different vehicle when going somewhere. (maybe that's a good thing? lol)
But I've got a truck that should work well for many years and I will usually be able to fix it myself when it doesn't (with the awesome help from all you folks here).

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll contribute my 2 cents.....
Before I sold all my IDIs, they were my work vehicles and daily driven.
Once caught up on maintenance, they are extremely reliable and simple.
I would be lying if I said I didn't miss that aspect.
I also think that they are a lot of truck for the money in most cases. If it's NA, and average otherwise, they could be found for prices comparable to a big block pickup of that era.
They are cheap HP that get the job done reliably.
I have since sold them after years of faithful service to buy a power stroke truck 6 months ago and a ranger for a daily.
I really just needed the lower gearing and disc brakes of the power stroke, but I'll admit there is a significant performance difference I didn't expect.
I say all this to point out that buying a newer model truck does not necessarily mean it will be any more reliable.
The power stroke is currently getting a frame off job as can be seen in the PS section. One thing led to another and here we are.
For the record, those who are considering a ps over IDI, unless you absolutely need the upgrade like I did, I suggest you stick to the IDI. The amount over wiring in this truck is unbelievable.
The IDI is night and day simpler.
My goal is to simplify the wiring on the power stroke, but it's still an electronic injection system.

Rock
I like it in both threads.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3-speed C6 doesn't seem like it would ever have not been annoying. Even when the speed limit was 55 mph. And I didn't know it was going to be so damned loud inside the cab
Brian, does your pickup have 4.10 gears? I am glad I have an E4OD for the OD and LU, but I sure do appreciate the simplicity and durability of the C6/T400.

Regarding engine noise, Does anyone know what RPM makes a significant increase in cabin noise? Like 1700: normal conversation (50 db); 2000-rpm: Speak louder (65 db); 2500 rpm: hearing protection required (80 db). anyone with a decibel meter done this?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget those trademark jeep angry eyes!
Okay, one more Chrysler/jeep rant and I'm done.
Real jeeps, made by AMC don't look angry they look excited to be there. Chrysler wants evil for some reason, i.e. Dodge Demon, Warlock, Hellcat,etc. And yeah, the new jeeps have skull logos and mean faces. I'm not saying ford or Chevy need "Jesus" editions, I just don't get the "mean/evil" thing when we're supposed to be down on " haters". I'm done.

Also I forgot that Mahindra and Mahindra we're licenced by Willy's during WW2 to make jeeps in India. They apparently continued making them for a while like VW in Mexico. And a while back they started making them again and importing them to America. I've seen one and it's a Jeep, It is absolutely acceptable as a jeep and they have 4cyl diesels in it. India got it right, Chrysler dropped the ball.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor just bought a 1983 Mercury Cougar 5.0 EFI with only 30k on it.
Looks cherry. Just needs a headliner and a hood release handle.
He said it's basically a stretched Mustang underneath?
That’s very exciting. We have an 1981 Cougar XR7 that we just gifted over to one of the kids in the family. Definitely has been one of my favorite cars to drive. it drives like a boat with a Jasper 5.0 in it!
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 6D05D6DE-D713-4BFF-A025-224C19F58AEA.jpeg
    6D05D6DE-D713-4BFF-A025-224C19F58AEA.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 2

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Viv
That’s very exciting. We have an 1981 Cougar XR7 that we just gifted over to one of the kids in the family. Definitely has been one of my favorite cars to drive. it drives like a boat with a Jasper 5.0 in it!
You must be registered for see images attach
Viva la Cougar! You don't see 80-82 cougar/t-birds much.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I certainly don't need the power. I bought my IDI because of the simplicity.
But I didn't research the downfalls and didn't test drive it first. My bad.
The 3-speed C6 doesn't seem like it would ever have not been annoying. Even when the speed limit was 55 mph. And I didn't know it was going to be so damned loud inside the cab. :-(
Most folks, including my wife, would prefer to take a different vehicle when going somewhere. (maybe that's a good thing? lol)
But I've got a truck that should work well for many years and I will usually be able to fix it myself when it doesn't (with the awesome help from all you folks here).
If it too noisy for you and your Wife, why don`t you insulate it more?
I did my 85 69, extra cab. Removed everything from the interior. Seats, Carpet and plastic wall coverings.
The Dynamat`d the whole interior. Floor and walls. Also do inside the doors.
Pricey? Ya sure, all depends what you want.

Got first box off e-bay $160
2nd box from Summit racing $165, only 60 miles from them and drove up there for it.
Then it jumped to $195...
East Wood also has it, got it for $94, also in Reno, same stuff with their name on it.

(I did get carried away and did the 86 also, and thinking of doing the 80 MB 240D)

Throw in some carpet and a different truck.

new vehicles have more Insulation the the older stuff so lower DB`s.

As vehicles have progressed over the years, they keep adding on more gadgets and other convience`s. Use to have to Hand crank them till the electric starter came along.
Heaters were an option, till they became a standard item, then the radio, went from manual brakes with rods to Hydraulic`s. then Disk brakes were an option. Europe was using them for a long time as well as Air Planes.
When they first were added, you would have thought the U.S. Automakers had invented it.
Then power seats, and then with warmers, and maybe even with vibrators.
Power Steering, auto trans. OH, and from hand crank windows to electric to electric door locks.

Now with all the computer controlled engine stuff,
GPS, built in phone systems and the list goes on.

The more add on do dads, the more people expect them, and the higher the prices go.

People today would not buy a PU Truck that was sold back in to 50`s, 60`s, look how they look down their noses at these IDI made in the 80 - 90`s.

People really just need something to go from point A to point B.

I do not think to today you can go down to Ford and order a F-250, basic standard cab, vinale seats, rubber floor mat, crank windows, heater,
manual 4-spd, 6 cyl or small V-8.

For what new stuff costs, we should be able to option how we would want it to cut costs.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac