Who here runs a fuel additive?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
power service, silver summer, white winter LOL

up here, you don't run an anti-gel, you don't run your engine :sly

Well said ^. Biodiesel and 2 stroke oil are great for lubricity, but you won't need to lubricate anything if it gels :D

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shops around here seem to like Red Lines 85+ and that comes out to $2 a tank for treating. Anyone use it before? I like redline in my 2 smoker CR250, but not sure about their diesel products.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I just ordered a 1/2 Gallon of the stanadyne performance formula,

But I normally run Diesel Kleen or Howes on every fill up. Ive gotten my hands on Bio before and it felt the same, but its way out of my way to get it, so its not a option all the time

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-10F is the gel point of #2 diesel. Number 1 gels at -20F.

Dave

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it gets to -20F where I am, wherever that is. I give up and refuse to acknowledge the day has started and no leave the house...

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive had the best luck in the winter with howes diesel treat. Its the only thing Ive used that makes the truck start easier.

In the summer I always run 1oz per gallon of tc-w3 two stroke oil. The injectors are much quieter with it and it seems to help fuel economy as well.

Biodiesel is the best thing you can run though! Loves sells B10 here in the winter and B20 in the summer. My truck runs great on B20.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I bought my truck new (1988) last winter was the first time it got cold enough to where my fuel gelled.
Thanks to Mel's suggestion, I put a heat gun blowing on the hard line going into the IP and the IP then covered the engine with a blanket...after ten minutes she fired up and I ran to Walmart and got some Diesel Service in the white bottle.

StBernardnot

Reaction score
-10F is the gel point of #2 diesel. Number 1 gels at -20F.

Dave
I used to haul fuel for Amoco & others. #2 will start showing wax at 40 to 45 degrees F. I've never seen wax in # 1. It may be possible, though. I use Power Service in my '92 idi. Our co-op blends 30% #1 down to about 0 then they'll blend 50/50.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said. Summer blend diesel is awful in even mildly cold weather.
Mix some kerosene in, if you can't get #1.
MY truck is happiest with a 60/40 mix of winter blend and hydraulic oil :)
Seems to run on anything - 15% RUG/WMO, old diesel and 5-10% RUG, #2 and leftover
(new) motor oil, anything but water :0
Haven't tried JET-A yet, but it is supposed to be like hot #1. Needs oil.
I do put a quart of 2-stroke in if I fill both tanks with pump fuel.

Should have added to original text - I do NOT use the glow plugs when mixing RUG.
Tiny squirt of ether into the little fitting in the air cleaner lid, and a hose into the cab.
REALLY easy on the starter - no grinding. Went thru 2 starters before I found the
magic combo. Even works as intended (with the glowplugs) and straight diesel. :)
IDI's and Detroits. If it will burn, it will probably run on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle