Which starter is correct? Educate me...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
I pulled the starter from Raylan, my '94 idit. It looks like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

When I search for the starter for my truck, I come up with two more, here they are:
will they all work in my '94 e4od truck? I pull the known good one out of my '90 e4od truck and it's identical to the second one...
Thanks for the help!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve used a couple that look like the middle, no nose cone one and they worked fine. Spun the engine over really fast. I’ve seen and used both type and they worked fine. Normally, for me, the deciding factor was which one the parts store had on the shelf. The last couple I had fail really didn’t give much warning the were failing. But both were right after we bought the truck, so don’t know how they had been treated, but best guess they had been beat on, since neither truck had working glow plugs.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve used a couple that look like the middle, no nose cone one and they worked fine. Spun the engine over really fast. I’ve seen and used both type and they worked fine. Normally, for me, the deciding factor was which one the parts store had on the shelf. The last couple I had fail really didn’t give much warning the were failing. But both were right after we bought the truck, so don’t know how they had been treated, but best guess they had been beat on, since neither truck had working glow plugs.
Without a nose cone, how is the road grit kept out of there?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the first two will work fine as long as they are for an IDI. Last style should but I haven't personally verified it.

The whole thing is inside the bellhousing anyway.
You are correct sir. Next question... Why on earth did I think it wasn't?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had two of the top style ones appear to spin slower, cause slower and longer cranking, and eventually on both the solenoid locked and fused together and kept spinning the truck over until it grenaded. I hate those and will never use another one.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had two of the top style ones appear to spin slower, cause slower and longer cranking, and eventually on both the solenoid locked and fused together and kept spinning the truck over until it grenaded. I hate those and will never use another one.

Well that's what I got, hopefully I'll have better luck than you...

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive gone thru two no nose cones styles from advance Auto as well as one from Napa both crapped out one burnt Tina crisp other well never even turned over fresh out the box. I have a cone style one now but saving pennies for a power master set up and a different barriers from a company called gravity.

P.s never YouTube when you are bored/confused on auto repair.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive gone thru two no nose cones styles from advance Auto as well as one from Napa both crapped out one burnt Tina crisp other well never even turned over fresh out the box. I have a cone style one now but saving pennies for a power master set up and a different barriers from a company called gravity.

P.s never YouTube when you are bored/confused on auto repair.

Well that sucks. What do you mean say "burnt Tina crisp"? Did you set your truck on fire?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
What do you mean say "burnt Tina crisp"? Did you set your truck on fire?
My guess is that it was supposed to say "burnt in a crisp", but could be wrong. Meaning that the starter burned up (maybe not literally). The first one is the "Mitsubishi style" and the last one is the "Nippendenso style". That's what I call them because of the brand name that was on them originally. I don't believe that I've personally seen the no nose cone style. The Mitsubishi style does turn over slower and that's why a lot of us are switching to the Nippendenso style starters. The Nippendenso style starters came out stock on the F Superduty IDI trucks. I'll sometimes call then the "Superduty style" but not too often anymore.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks. What do you mean say "burnt Tina crisp"? Did you set your truck on fire?
Brunt to a crisp as in the outer shell had burn marks, went to have it rebuilt all the internals was chard. also one style is a little cheaper then the other one.

as IDIBRONCO pointed out most are going to Nippendenso style.

Chief

Reaction score
I’ve gone through a few myself. Had the old nose cone style and when that gave out, switched to the no nose cone. Confused me at first because I’m used to putting on exact style replacements. Been a long time since I’ve done repairs on an older vehicle due to a career in the military. Just now have everything back in place to do an engine pull. It’s amazing how much more torque the “new” style has!

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just switched mine from Mitsubishi to the Nippendenso last week. Best decision I've made with my truck so far. A noticable noticeable difference. My Mitsubishi came apart. Literally came apart.