Which starter is correct? Educate me...

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '89 E4OD has the second style with no nose cone.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
When my F250's starter broke (the wire part), the shop I got towed to, a reliable and decent shop, had all kinds of trouble finding the right starter. It took 3 or 4 tries of the parts shop bringing them starters before they found the right one. Their computer was telling them the wrong starters.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
I went to the Nippo style yrs ago because they seem to turn a bit faster & because that inside top bolt seems a bit easier to get in & out for me.
I had a "noseless" one given to me yrs ago for my IDI, but thought it fit a PStroke or something so I got rid of it. Maybe I was wrong???

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had a "noseless" one given to me yrs ago for my IDI, but thought it fit a PStroke or something so I got rid of it. Maybe I was wrong???
I haven't messed with a PSD starter since 2010, and don't really remember, but now that you mention it, it does seem like these were on 7.3 PSDs.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I have the stock starter still, but have had to replace the solenoid a couple of times. The 6.9, at least, came with a Delco Remy starter. Direct drive and heavy as anything. But it will turn over the engine like nobody's business as long as the batteries are up to charge. The nipondenso ans Mitsu motors do turn over fast, but they are both gear reduction style. That allows them to use smaller, lighter motors. The delco can be repaired without taking off the entire motor.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 6.9, at least, came with a Delco Remy starter.
The early ones did. Later ones came with a Mitsubishi. I HATED bench pressing those Delcos back into place. From what I saw, they were really good at chewing up the ring gear teeth on your flywheel. I didn't mention the Delco starters since they weren't pictured in the original post.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
I got the Powermaster from Summit Racing . Its a heavy duty and spins fast.... maybe because of my 2 Northstar AGM batteries but not sure.
I think the starter was a 944 or similar part number I will look it up and BRB.

gfemling

Reaction score
While not strictly on topic, question regarding starters for IDIs- are the starters different for automatics (E4OD) vs manuals (T19’s & ZF5s). Guess real question is whether ring gear on flex plate of automatics are same as ring gear on fly wheel of manuals?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
While not strictly on topic, question regarding starters for IDIs- are the starters different for automatics (E4OD) vs manuals (T19’s & ZF5s). Guess real question is whether ring gear on flex plate of automatics are same as ring gear on fly wheel of manuals?

Same starter, transmission does not matter with an IDI in a Ford.

Dregs Garage

Reaction score
Gfeming, I think every parts store counter kid ask me that question when I was looking for the Nippen Denso a few years ago!
You know... “they’ll know more” about our trucks then we do! cookoo

I traded for my truck and that was the second thing I replaced! Batteries first The Mitsubishi was junk and was just grinding that teeth...with about 1/3 of each tooth missing gambled on if the new nippen would kill the rest... it hasn’t let me down! Engages perfectly

Alwaysreadyrob, the Powermaster looks like a nippen denso. But it says made in the USA! It would be interesting to see them next to each other!

I think Dodge used the same starter for all their engine from 1960-1989 on slant 6 to the hemi it got the nickname “the hummingbird”. I think in 1990 or so nippen denso made the “mini Start” it still fit all the older engines that why everyone slapped their name on it, sold it for big bucks and called it a mini starter! Gear reduction!

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
For some reason I cant find a descent mechanic in Fresno that knows how to work on my 94 F 250 7.3 turbo IDI.
I drove it to a friends house with no problem from the mountains where I live , about 1.0 hr drive down the hill. Had him install R&D stage 1 injectors, R&D air intake, R&D fuel rails, had the Turbo rebuilt, the IP Rebuilt, new AGM batteries, new glow plug harness changed oil, dropped both fuel tanks and put all new plumbing and floats, new throttle cable and now it runs but wont go over 45 MPH !!! I havent driven it for over one yr and had to have it towed back to my friends house from the last mechanic that worked on it !
Man im so disappointed I cant even think about it. I guess I just need to trailer it to Browns Diesel and swipe my credit card to get it fixed right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online