Whee do I install the pyro thermo dealie?

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I will be installing the guages tomorrow. Pyro, trans temp, vac/boost, oil pressure, and engine temp.
I'm good on all but two; where do I install the pyro thing (I know it goes before the turbo) but how close to the manifold or to the turbo?
Also if I remember correctly the sending unit for the trans temp goes in a test plug hole in the trans. Where is it?
Thanks again,

Chuck

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
i would put the pyro in either one of the exhaust manifolds. you want to get it as close to the pistons as possible because thats what you want to protect. if you look at the manifold there is a flat spot that is a good spot to put it. the test port on the trans if i remember is on the drivers side of the trans. its on the side about half way back

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put my pyro on the driverside manifold between the 2nd and 3rd exhaust port back. Also remember to use grease to catch all the metal shavings while drilling and tapping. I also used a small magnet that fit in the hole after I drilled just to be sure I got all the shavings. I do not know anything about the trans part though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is the pyro sender post turbo on the ATS kits?

Probably due to manufacturing or marketing reasons. Manufacturing reason = we want to put the hole here because it is easier. Marketing reason = pyro easy to service, shorter wire run, can't damage the turbo if it fails. :dunno

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can't damage the turbo if it fails.

That's scary to even think about, especially considering the number of disentegrated probe tips I have seen over the years.

BUT, for most accurate results, the manifold should be drilled/tapped, and the probe as close to the cylinders as practical.

Every different engine design has one cylinder that will be the hottest; in a perfect world, the probe would be placed closest to that cylinder.

Post-turbo mounted probes are so far from the action that they are no more than a good guess, at best, as to how hot things are getting.

Vast loss of actual cylinder temperature, and too many other variables, come into play in a post-turbo mounting to have a general rule-of-thumb as to just what post-turbo temperature is too hot.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is ancient, but does anyone have pics on the install of one of these? I would like a pic of "the flat spot on the manifold" mentioned... Thanks!