what frame to build a ceturion off of?

giezy

Reaction score
I have a 94 extended cab long box and was thinking since it needs a cab would this be the wheelbase they build a centurion on? the body I can figure out no problem but what is the wheel base to start with

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They used a shortbed crew cab frame for the 4 door Broncos.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used a shortbed crew cab frame for the 4 door Broncos.
IIRC that frame didn't exist before 1996 or '97 or so...what would they have used beforehand?

I always assumed they took an F-350 CC frame, cut the frame behind the cab, and spliced the back half of a Bronco frame in its place, but I have to admit that I never looked into it...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The frames were custom shortened from a F350 CCLB and a bronco rear was grafted behind the crew cab.

I can attest to the differences in Bronco vs PU frames, I've been doing extensive measurements to see if I can graft my Bronco body onto my reg cab frame with super cab on it...and it's doable..but..lots of buts!

Damn difficult to say the least but doable!

The key is finding the right Bronco frame I suppose it's year dependant cause I have two different thickness of frames and one is same as my F350 one is significantly thinner!

Just saying...I can take photos as I have a perfectly primed Bronco frame bare ready to work on...and CANT use it...too thin...grrrrrrrr but the bends and so forth all all the same!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont ask the question just build one around that wheelbase if its not then youhave a custom cent but it is a cc sb wheelbase which is close to your excab long bed so only a few changes will need made

giezy

Reaction score
that's what I was thinking or if I buy a good enough parts truck for the cc body I will get a good frame to going to get the cab and see what the messuring tape says

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could just buy a Centurion and rebuild whats worn on it. I am always pretty shocked at how reasonable they are priced when I come accross one in the Northwest. They are the coolest thing you could drop your kids off at a soccer game in :)

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohh.. well I assume you're talking about the centurion broncos.. I don't know anything about them, but I own a centurion f-250 and its ext cab long bed.. logic might dictate that those were what they made their broncos out of?

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC that frame didn't exist before 1996 or '97 or so...what would they have used beforehand?

I always assumed they took an F-350 CC frame, cut the frame behind the cab, and spliced the back half of a Bronco frame in its place, but I have to admit that I never looked into it...

Guess I was havin a slow day, don't know how I forgot that.

For some reason I feel like I remeber reading on fourdoorbronco.com that they used an exisitng frame and there wasn't any splicing. That kinda doesn't make sense tho since the rear of a bronco frame is a bit different than a truck.

WHen I looked at one a few years ago and I was crawling under it I don't recall any splices.

I can attest to the differences in Bronco vs PU frames, I've been doing extensive measurements to see if I can graft my Bronco body onto my reg cab frame with super cab on it...and it's doable..but..lots of buts!

Damn difficult to say the least but doable!

The key is finding the right Bronco frame I suppose it's year dependant cause I have two different thickness of frames and one is same as my F350 one is significantly thinner!

Just saying...I can take photos as I have a perfectly primed Bronco frame bare ready to work on...and CANT use it...too thin...grrrrrrrr but the bends and so forth all all the same!

What year was do you have that is thin? The 89 I had was the same thickness as the trucks.

I have also noticed the way the Bronco frames are set up in the rear they don't rot out like the truck frames. That rear crossmember on the trucks is a real rot prone area.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya they were spliced but they are cc sb length if i was doing it i would start with a psd chassie ccsb then move and add cab mounts as needed

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I have a '85 ec lb that is a centurion truck but Im not sure what centuion did to the truck to mod it, I know it has an overhead console with lights and a cb but not sure about the rest unless they added the ec portion

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stu, they honestly didn't add too much to them, I was the second owner of mine so I'm not sure exactly what all was them.. Mine has wood paneling on the doors, the console, the cb, chromo bed runners and chrome handle next to the door, 16.5 rims (and hub covers and aftermarket lug nuts), and bucket seats.. I wouldn't include the seats, except when I removed them to pull the cab for painting they had been attached with the lug nuts from the old rim set.. I'm not sure if this was the previous owner or not, but he claims the truck came with them.. Anyways, just thought I would share that all with you in case you wanted to compare what yours has!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....What year was do you have that is thin? The 89 I had was the same thickness as the trucks.

I have also noticed the way the Bronco frames are set up in the rear they don't rot out like the truck frames. That rear crossmember on the trucks is a real rot prone area.

Unknown year....guessing early MID 80's my 90 Bronco frame is as thick as my 1 ton...

Going to go look at a Bronco for scrap/frame rear section later this week or next week. If frame is correct thickness...then that's the cut join setup!

Make life easy!

Also I need a rear tank!