water pump time.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well its been about 3 years since I replaced the water pump and its leaking from the weep hole pretty bad, I guess that's what I get for buying the part store brand. I will be getting a water pump from ford. is there anything I should look for or do so I have no future premature problems.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when I bought my 1992, it had new a genuine Ford water pump when got it. Records said only two since new and I think it had about 240K when I got it. I generally settle for the aftermarket junk as it's generally "good enough", however, I would put the IDI water pump on the "OEM if you can get it" and "it's OK to pay more for it" list. I have no idea how or why it should be so difficult to keep a seal on a shaft, but the aftermarket ones don't seem to last very well. You could also think about changing the belt tensioner and idler while you have it apart, but I'm pretty lost on the tensioner, as I feel pretty strongly that the factory ones are **** (both styles: shock, no shock, I have grenaded both of them)

Make sure you cut a piece of carboard to cover up the back side of your radiator, I think there's one bolt that longer than another, I always try to keep track of exactly what came out of what hole, other than that I think it's pretty straightforward.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are 4 bolts. 2 on the top, and 2 on the bottom, that do not bolt into the cast of the block.
these 4 have nuts welded to the inside of the front cover.
if you do not RTV these bolts you will have oil leak on the waterpump.
when you pull the pump off they will be very apparent.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard in the past from other people, napa brand water pumps work very well which is what I recently went with. They are new not rebuilt. Can't go wrong with dealer parts tho either.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The top 2 bolts are a special lenght because they enter the gear cover oily side. When you remove the pump install these bolts in the pump and check the length. Compare that to the replacement pump. Most if not every time you replace a water pump you will get 2 new bolts specifically made for that pump 2 top bolt locayions. Best advice is read the install directions with new pump. And as already posted, use rtv on the top and bottom 2 bolts because oil surely will leak past the tightened threads. Also the torque is not joe armstrong tight on these 4 bolts either. Those welded on nuts are very thin and will strip.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard in the past from other people, napa brand water pumps work very well which is what I recently went with. They are new not rebuilt. Can't go wrong with dealer parts tho either.

That was true about napa in the past. Now they sell the same part in their box as everybody else.same gasket in a baggie taped to the underside of the lid even. We have been using oriley pumps lately. Assembled in usa from globaly sourced parts or made in mexico...both gotta be better than china i hope

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't drive this truck in the bad weather so its not an urgent repair but it will be done soon and I will keep all this info in mind. I had the motor apart in may or June area so everything is pretty fresh. I really regret not doing the water pump then. I did notice oil starting to weep from the few bolts mentioned so I will make sure I seal them up good.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used an AutoZone branded (Duralast or whatever) pump when I replaced mine last. Four years and no issues yet (Although now I'm sure it will start leaking tomorrow lol). I will say if I did it again, I wouldn't use their stuff just on principle, as I've had too many Duralast parts crap out on me. Luckily this hasn't been one so far.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Takr new pump..each bolt removed goes in new pump acting as boltholderinplacerthingamajiggy..then when old pump off..transfer bolts to yer used boltholderinplaceerthingamajiggy and bobs yer uncle...no questios where bolts came from or go...

JM7.3CW

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I used an AutoZone branded (Duralast or whatever) pump when I replaced mine last. Four years and no issues yet (Although now I'm sure it will start leaking tomorrow lol). I will say if I did it again, I wouldn't use their stuff just on principle, as I've had too many Duralast parts crap out on me. Luckily this hasn't been one so far.

The Duralast pump is also labelled as new, not remanufactured.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already stated, do not over tighten those 4 bolts that go into front cover. There are nuts welded to that plate and they strip out easily. Installing mine onto reman engine, I had one strip out even torquing to specs. Didn't want to pull front engine off to get to the cover so I just drilled & tapped the next size up, dabbing grease on end of bits to collect shavings. Worked well

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my replacement motorcraft water pump lasted me 45k miles before it crapped the bed.
i had to run over and order whatever the closest auto store could get me the next day so i tossed a reman in it.probably outlast the motorcraft lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron