Valve Cover Gasket reccomendations?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like a stupid thing, I have searched and did not come up with any info on valve cover gaskets.

My passenger side gasket is leaking from the rear and dripping on the crossover tube.

I am sending Mel my pump to be Moosed this weekend and since I will have the Turbo off I want to replace the gaskets.

Any brand to stay away from or just use whatever NAPA stocks?

Any tips like RTV or run 'em dry?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I run mine dry. Made sure I started with the center bolts and worked out. Did it twice to make sure it was nice and snug. Found one leak in the very beggining, just tightened those bolts, and all is well.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used cork gaskets in the past, but recently i have been springing for the blue silicone one felpro makes. Dry as a bone and stupid easy to put on.

Titojeep

Reaction score
I used the replacement one from Autozone, and it's rubber?? No sealant, and I torqued the bolts in cris cross pattern until snug, then I cranked another whole turn. (6 inch long 3/8 in drive wrench.) So far no problems either.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I use the felpro gaskets and permatex ultra copper on both sides... No leaks ever... I was going to try using no gasket at all but just rtv like the oil pan gets... Thats a no leak area too and we know its in a permanint oil bath.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have victor reinz valve cover gaskets coming with all my other parts, do you think I would be better off with rtv?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have victor reinz valve cover gaskets coming with all my other parts, do you think I would be better off with rtv?
I would not use RTV on the head side, infact I wouldn't use RTV on the valve cover side.
What I use is Permatex High Tack 'dauber bottle' just on the valve cover side and it bites the gasket to the surface...the other side is assembled dry. > > >Never any leaks for me.

Oh > and I just use the cheap Felpro black rubber valve cover gaskets on my 7.3, BBC Jet Boat and Corvette.
EDIT >when removing the original cover/gasket make sure ALL of the old gasket is accountable for...as it'll be hard and brittle and hard pieces can easily fall down the oil return holes. ;Really

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, dont use gasket shellac. A previous owner did that on one of my previous trucks and I ruined the valve covers getting them off. They were literally welded on!!

RTV sealant also does the same thing to a certain degree, it is an adhesive after all, but not as bad.

Just install them dry, and use rubber if possible. It doesnt suffer as bad from compression and shrinkage with age.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like a stupid thing, I have searched and did not come up with any info on valve cover gaskets.

My passenger side gasket is leaking from the rear and dripping on the crossover tube.

I am sending Mel my pump to be Moosed this weekend and since I will have the Turbo off I want to replace the gaskets.

Any brand to stay away from or just use whatever NAPA stocks?

Any tips like RTV or run 'em dry?

I take your word for it, but I did recal that we just had a huge thread about this last month, and it was easy to find. :dunno
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43217

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched Valve Cover Gasket and other variations...I'm not sure how I missed it, but I got my fel-pro's ordered. Thanks to all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726