what do you guys use to seal valve covers is there a gasket?

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
idk if they make them for these but i always liked the cork gaskets the best

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
i use the rubber fel-pro gaskets. make sure both surfaces are clear of oil. No RTV.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, seems I'm hearing a clicking noise I cant tell what its coming from though so I figure I'll pull the valve cover on the driver side to see if anything looks abnormal, I'm wondering if it could be an injector or the pump

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
either type gasket with a little Hylomar on both sides. MAke sure to straighten your bolt tension spreaders or at least flip them and do use a torque wrench and you will not have leaks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is an area where everyone has a differing opinion. my attitude is; no matter what you try to do the valve covers, they will leak. I've found that valve covers that are beaten flat and a reverse dimple is put at each bolt hole along with reversed load spreader tabs, will greatly assist in whatever gasket you choose to seal. My preference is the cork gaskets with aviation Permatex shellac sealer. If my customer prefers the rubber gaskets, I clean the heck out of the gasket area and use 3M "super" weatherstrip adhesive in black.

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the torque spec for the bolts? also my valve covers arent leaking right now so maybe im a lucky one

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
whats the torque spec for the bolts? also my valve covers arent leaking right now so maybe im a lucky one

I don't know the torque, but when I did mine I just tightening them until I saw RTV squish out from around the edges.

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ mab....

my brother did that on my rear diff.... but we used something off the 18 wheeler shelf, called "High tech gasket sealant"... my brother likes it.... I didn't like ti when he tighted it down so much that the gasket cracked. I was pissed off, to say the least.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on the "everybody does it different". I think one of the reasons for that is that everybody has valve covers that are in different states of repair. If you have a good valve cover that has never been overtightened or abused, very little RTV should be needed. What I have always had good luck with is wiping both surfaces down real good with laquer thinner, then using blue Permatex on the valve cover, letting it set up until it's tacky, and then putting a rubber gasket on the valve cover. They have little "ears" that snap into the cover edge to hold them in place. I then let that set up for a few more minutes, and put it on the motor. Flip your tension wings over, so they are arched up, then tighten your bolts to 7 foot pounds. The only torque wrench I have that will go that low is a beam style, and it's a pain to use, but not overtightening them is the key to them not leaking.

Last edited: