ORing on dipstick tube &valve cover gaskets on ‘94 IDIT engine

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
So trying to get bunch oil leaks fixed! This thing got lots……valve covers, dipstick tube, etc , etc!!!
My dipstick tube has oring gone where tube slips into block and leaking lots. (I assume it uses an oring around end of tube?????)
I got my oring kit out and tried several but they either too big & no fit or it too small and breaks, even greased up.
I remember yrs ago on another 7.3 I had a leaker tube. I slipped oring on it, eased it into block hole and it slipped in and quit leaking. Easy to do. This one giving me trouble.
I assume it is an oring supposed go there? Anybody got a thought or answer?

Other question…… what kind valve cover gaskets best to use? Cork or other kind?

I got lots to do on this thing next week or so…… thermostat, several oil leaks, swap IP & injectors, etc etc

Need go up Lounge and say this and let off steam. But just trying stay busy. Me and Carol bout to lose another son. (49 yr old & on dialysis & it’s no working) (lost another son last yr, been ruff)

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so very sorry to hear about your son. I lost a sister three years ago, due to pneumonia.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I black rtv the dipstick tubes and recommend the same.
Same here. Personally, I despise the cork valve cover gaskets with a passion. I prefer the rubber ones. I use no type of sealant on them either. I do tighten the bolts down much tighter than the recommended 7 lb-ft (or whatever it is) though.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. Personally, I despise the cork valve cover gaskets with a passion. I prefer the rubber ones. I use no type of sealant on them either. I do tighten the bolts down much tighter than the recommended 7 lb-ft (or whatever it is) though.

My Vc`s were leaking pretty good, on the Drivers side I removed one bolt/washer at a time, blew out the holes with spray Carb Cleaner. The blew them out with compressed air. Be sure to deoil the bolt/washer.

Added Blue Loc-tite to the threads. That side was leak free for a long time. I did need to tighten a couple that had some wet on them. But over all it really kept that side clean. that had to be 3 years ago.

Pass side, never did get to it...it`s scheduled.

Goat

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very Sorry to read of your losses. Brake clean the tube, slap some RTV on it and slide it in. I prefer gray such as auto makers use on trans and oil pans.
V/C gaskets on my machine are cork, coated and let dry both sides RTV, thin coat on both the head and cover, allow to dry, then a fresh thin coat on the gasket, install, assemble, DO NOT overtighten the bolts. The RTV when dry, will glue itself nicely.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Well I think today I figured out my dipstick problem. I was out in storage looking at spare parts. Stumbled up on dipstick & tube and BEHOLD!
Taped with black tape on end of tube was the little tube insert that goes in the block. About 3/4" long & small end (slips into block) & larger end that dipstick tube slips into. Oring around end of dipstick tube & then tube slips into big end of insert.
Maybe tomorrow I can get this one oil leak fixed!!!!

Then I got valve covers gaskets to fix, pull turbo & replace oil return valley pan grommet, pull & replace IP & injectors (Russ) etc, etc.
Front seal is leaking but I may wait a bit to fix that.

Got slow small water leak that I kind'a think is either water pump seal or water pump gasket. Can't see yet enough to tell. Pressure testing the radiator/water system & got slow small leak that barely drips from behind the fan pully. Maybe tomorrow maybe I pull fan & see.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Man, you got a lot of leaks going on. I used cork gaskets a long time ago and hated them. I only use RTV or rubber now. Mostly just rubber with RTV slathered all over it. I know from the factory they sealed the oil pan to the engine with only a ton of RTV, no gasket. If you end up needing to replace the water pump you can get an OEM on ebay usually pretty cheap. I've heard the OEM is much better quality than the autozone ones. I forget who makes the OEM ones now, but you can get them other places if ebay doesn't work.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
If you end up needing to replace the water pump you can get an OEM on ebay usually pretty cheap. I've heard the OEM is much better quality than the autozone ones. I forget who makes the OEM ones now, but you can get them other places if ebay doesn't work.
Yeah I replaced the water pump bout 2-3 yr ago. Caught me off guard.
After that I ordered new water pump off EBay from U-Haul to have on hand. Had 1-2 yrs. However I've heard that even sitting closed up in box & stored for very long they tend to shaft seal dry out & give trouble....??????
One mechanic told me that if you keep them very long they need be stored in bucket in strong antifreeze water to keep from drying out....????
Question marks mean I'm not sure....???? LOL
At home I'm smartest guy I know, then go town & I'm dumber than BOX OF ROCKS!! LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7