Oil dipstick tube

screwhead

Reaction score
I know there are some posts on this but need some clarification, trying to get back on road and to work.

Was replacing valve cover gaskets and windshield wiper motor (along with a few other pita’s) upon removing mount for dip stick tube the thing just clunked right out of wherever it is supposed to go. They have been leaking pretty bad so it’s a mess down there.
Does the dip stick tube slide into the small black nut next to the starter? Looks like it’s right above where the oil pan is bolted on.
And do y’all have any tips on how to get it back in there? Was having a heck of a time figured I’d just remove starter tomorrow and try again.
It also came out with nothing on it. No o ring or anything just the flanged tube. Do I need to go find a new o ring for it or would some rtv do?

Thanks again.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
On my 7.3 there was that short flanged 2 stage tube (about 1" long) goes into block. Then Dipstick tube has 2 itty-bitty little flanges at bottom of tube that a itty-bitty O-Ring slips in between. Then the dip stick tube slips into the 1" 2 stage tube.
I tried & tried to find a small itty-bitty O-Ring in 3 different O-Ring kits small enough to work. Finally went to Ford & that special size now is OBSOLETE!!!!! Finally they found one last one back there on their shelf.
I used that O-Ring then slipped dip stick tube with O-Ring on it into 1" tube......then Gray or Black RTV'ed the heck out of everything!!!!
I spray cleaned the heck out everything then lots of RTV on block & tube.
Kind'a be careful & don't smear RTV around-on block heater.
If starter is off things be LOTS EASIER!!!

screwhead

Reaction score
@ttman4 thank you for the reply. I got the starter off and it made it much easier. I think mine might have been bent by a previous owner so maybe had to run it differently than it’s supposed to but I guess that shouldn’t make a difference since it’s still going to the bracket. Sanded down a o ring I have in a kit and rtv’ed it. Hopefully it’ll hold.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 7.3 there was that short flanged 2 stage tube (about 1" long) goes into block. Then Dipstick tube has 2 itty-bitty little flanges at bottom of tube that a itty-bitty O-Ring slips in between. Then the dip stick tube slips into the 1" 2 stage tube.
I tried & tried to find a small itty-bitty O-Ring in 3 different O-Ring kits small enough to work. Finally went to Ford & that special size now is OBSOLETE!!!!! Finally they found one last one back there on their shelf.
I used that O-Ring then slipped dip stick tube with O-Ring on it into 1" tube......then Gray or Black RTV'ed the heck out of everything!!!!
I spray cleaned the heck out everything then lots of RTV on block & tube.
Kind'a be careful & don't smear RTV around-on block heater.
If starter is off things be LOTS EASIER!!!
The special size is still available and all components of the tube. The block piece is discontinued from ford direct but you can still get it third party. Here’s all the parts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Also, you go through fender well no need to remove starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck

Members online