727.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00766.JPG
    DSC00766.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 15

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cutting a square out is cool, if the pan is out of the engine. But I think the poster is looking for a top down shot of one installed. Do my thin oil test that I recommended in the turbo install article. You may not need to do it if you have the pan with the open end design.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, when I did the turbo install, I didn't do the valley pan mod.:eek:

Do all "new" gasket kit have the open valley pan? I used Felpro. I have an oil leak from the rear of the engine/turbo area. Just wondering if it may be my valley pan.:mad:

Didn't know any better at the time..........Oh well.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Do all "new" gasket kit have the open valley pan? I used Felpro. I have an oil leak from the rear of the engine/turbo area. Just wondering if it may be my valley pan.:mad:

Didn't know any better at the time..........Oh well.

Heath

Heath, that's a Felpro one I clearanced. Looking at the side profile, one would think there would be enough room to allow oil to flow freely but the one that it replaced was the same design and I too was getting a mystery leak. On a cold motor,I could see it possibly overflowing.:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, that's a Felpro one I clearanced. Looking at the side profile, one would think there would be enough room to allow oil to flow freely but the one that it replaced was the same design and I too was getting a mystery leak. On a cold motor,I could see it possibly overflowing.:dunno

Well, I bet that is playing a part in the leak. I'd have to have a very good reason to pull the all that stuff (i.e. turbo crap) off to make some holes in the valley pan. An bit of oil on the back of the motor isn't a good enough reason.LOL

Thanks for the info Ron.;Sweet

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time that I did the Hypermax on the Moose Truck, I also was finishing a head gasket replacment, so I had opportunity to examine the brand new Ford valley pan. I decided that there was no way it couldn't flow enough oil, so I didn't mod it, and there were no ill effects. I believe this is because the last IDI model was the turbo IDI, and the valley pan was redesigned to support this model. All previous designs were probably eliminated as part of the standardization and parts rationalization process that Ford normally maintains. The existing pan on Lady Moose, did not pass the thin oil flow test, and consequently was sufficiently abused by the ice pick.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i'd like to see some pics too honestly, do you guys just do it with a sharp punch? noone has had a problem dropping metal in the valley doing this have they?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why you use an ice pick. The metal is thin enough that you can puncture it, and the hole is created by deforming the metal. Not by liberating any of it. Try it on the bottom of a soda can if you want to see how easily it works. The key is to whack it sharply, and not try to hit it too light.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if you don't have enough drain back? I didn't think that so much oil actually flowed past the turbo bearings. I know my ATS has an orifice in the inlet side to prevent too much flow.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The first valley pan I slugged it with an air chisel. Quick, sharp and no mess.
I'll do some digging tonight to see if I saved that one.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
What happens if you don't have enough drain back?

Your driveway & road will look like this-

You must be registered for see images attach

I took an Awl & a hammer & went nuts on it, just put as many little holes in there as you can. Should come out to around 12-15 or so & do it "before" you install the turbo. -cuss

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek:WOOOOHHHH!!!!!:eek: Uh, That's bad. My leak is nothing like that. I'd crap my pants with that kind of leak under the truck.

Heath

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh....no:eek:, but there were leaks that were comming off the rear of the engine that were hard to track down. I wonder if this has something to do with it. The grommit is certainly not intended to hold that much pressure.

I have no leaks at the moment though.