vacuum pump pulley blues

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on our way to Jackson Mississippi today the vacuum pump started crapping out ( no vacuum at low idle ):mad: I drove it all the way there and back with no vacuum. Horse trailer in tow. Made stopping FUN.-cuss . Got me a new pump on the way home pulled the old one and -cuss -cuss -cuss bend the dang pulley getting it off. So I guess It will be off to Ford tomarrow to get me a new one. Wish i had read the post that said not to use a three prong gear puller to pull this pulley.:backoff :backoff Oh well leason learned.

BTW Tanya got on line and found that post about not using the puller i used cookoo cookoo ;Really ;Really . AFTER I BENT IT :D :D

Guess I need to read before doing. (I dont need no sticking instructions.:rotflmao :rotflmao )

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... I replaced mine at work one day years ago. I used plenty-o-heat on it and it pulled right off using a 3 jaw puller. Going back on was a piece-o-cake. I now have the special puller under the rear seat along with belts and other special "things".

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could someone show a picture of the correct puller ??

I have one that needs the skinny A-belt pulley ****** off and a fat B-pulley slid on.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I removed mine and put it back with a power steering pump pulley puller, it works great. The V belt pulley can be pulled with a other pullers but the serpentine belt one better be with the right one, at least from My own experience.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Make sure you get the right pulley for your vac pump. IIRC there are 2 different assemblies. The entire assembly ( pump and pulley) will interchange, but the shafts are different. If you get the wrong pulley, it will never fit right.
Best to take the pump with you so the parts guy ( or gal) can get the right one for you.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Here is the puller I use, like 10 bucks at Harbor Frieght. Have used it many times still work great for the price. Part #40749-0VGA

Attachments

• 40749.gif
    40749.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 10

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gees... That kit looks just like the KD Tools one I bought.... And paid lots more than $10.00 for...:mad:

Last edited:

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Me and Aric's brother put some serious ftlb's on it and it did strech but removed the vacuum pulley on his 97 with a little help from a BFH;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gees... That kit looks just like the KD Tools onw I bought.... And paid lots more than $10.00 for...:mad:

Made where? I know where the one from Harbor Freight was made. There is only one possible answer in that store. :rolleyes: I don't buy tools from that place.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have the same kit from OTC, cost me like $70cdn from one of the tool gangsters....I mean tool trucks....That I buy my work tools from....Works great, simple.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got the pulley 21 bucks from Ford. Not bad! Went to Auto Zone and got the pulley puller and installer to put the new pulley on. Cost me 40 bucks but will get my money back tomarrow. No more than I will need that tool I figured get loaner tools and be done with it.

Any way the serpentine belt pulley for the vacuum pump part number is

F4TZ-2L487-A

Tanya is back on the road and happy again.;Sweet ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726