Upgraded LUK clutch kit?

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my 83 in my signature, got the T-19 4 speed. Anybody ever run the upgraded 12” clutch vs the standard 11”?

The upgrade 12” clutch is a LUK 07-065 vs standard 11" LUK 07-026

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need a new clutch? If so, I'm sure it will work fine. LuK clutches are great!
If your current clutch is fine, don't worry about it. 11" will handle far more than your N/A truck will ever put out. Even with a turbo and stock pump, a 11" should be just fine. It's only when you have a DMF that you have a problem, and you don't.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short, truck has a brand new Brute Force clutch kit. Pressure plate bolts had backed off and I had drove it about 50 miles with 2 of the bolts 1/3 the way backed out.

I don’t trust the shop that did the work to warranty it, the shop had tightened them up and inspected it it with the inspection plate removed and through the clutch boot.

It’s making an intermittent metallic clicking sound now, in gear and driving or in neutral.

I’m afraid it got jacked somehow when the 2 pressure plate bolts had backed off, also don’t trust shop had properly torqued everything and used any thread lock.

So I was going to take it to a reputable local transmission shop to inspect it and I was contemplating a new clutch kit in case it’s necessary.

Here is a picture of what I saw once I had got the truck back from the shop and after they tightened it back up.

Other than the intermittent noise it functions and drives perfectly.

I think the pressure plate fingers got jacked up when it the pressure plate bolts had backed off, hence the “tinging” noise?

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best thing about the larger clutches is they require less spring pressure to achieve the same clamping force, so you end up with a much nicer pedal feel.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Yep and room for springs in the middle to reduce vibration and save drivetrain. Been a while but I think I went with Fort Wayne 12" with Kevlar pilot.
It was about 450 I think and I joke it was the most expensive part of my truck but well worth it. Drives like bmw which incidentally used ZF trannys lol.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha ha!! Nice, yeah I had just ordered the LUK 12” kit, I get a discount from NAPA and it’s an “expensive” perk of the job!!! Lol, buying more parts and tools than I ever had before!!

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the LUK 12” kit when the POS AutoZone duracrap clutch the PO has installed grenaded it’s hub. You’d be surprised as to how much beefier the LUK clutch disc is compared to the other one. Especially the hub. I haven’t had any issues with the LUK and as Thewespaul said, it’s got a much nicer pedal feel - takes a lot less force to work the pedal. The one thing that took getting used to was how it doesn’t slip - at all. There’s a very very fine line with the engagement, almost like an on off switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know, look forward to having it installed. I had just done the master and slave cylinder (LUK) and new hydraulic line to.

Feels good to slowly fix up these amazing old rigs

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure does. Except in my case, the previous owners did the bare minimum for maintenance, along with hacking into the wiring so poorly it’s scary. It’s a constant battle that I hope to win someday.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure does. Except in my case, the previous owners did the bare minimum for maintenance, along with hacking into the wiring so poorly it’s scary. It’s a constant battle that I hope to win someday.

Eventually you’ll be on top of it, just keep plunging away over time. These trucks won’t ever lose value wether sentimentality or monetarily. They’re worth it.

Besides, look at the price of a new one and imagine the monthly payments...makes an $800 clutch job not seem to dang bad!!