Minor Upgrades for towing...

J.P.

Reaction score
Minor Performance upgrades
Just thought I would put this out there, I started towing a 21 foot Toy hauler (8500# loaded) and wanted to do a couple of upgrades. First the Trans (48re) was shot and I had that rebuilt with a Billet converter and the general upgrades of the poor parts in that trans plus some of the hard parts that had been overheated and the oversized oil pan. I didn't want to go crazy and loose milage over performance, one issue I had was max of 14-15 pounds of boost, my research found I could go as high as 30# without changing head bolts etc. I installed a adjustable Wastegate actuator with the 30# spring to start, this helped, up to 24# boost and towing milage was between 11-12 mpg. But still needed a bit more on the grades. I researched injectors and decided to go with the Bosch RV275 which are 40 hp over stock, this provided the result I was looking for, 28# of boost, EGT still good and much better on the grades with a solid 11 mpg. One issue popped up, the over boost code came up so in installed a Boost Fooler and no issues now. I realize I could have gone crazy and installed bigger injectors, a programmer etc but didn't find it necessary. The next upgrade will be to put in a Fass fuel system and then just drive it... 1999 dodge 2500 5.9 diesel hope you find this info at least interesting. J.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online