Turbo talk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our testing truck with an 093 ats kit has barely any lag, stomp on it in third gear and roast the tires... any smaller turbine and I believe you will just choke the exhaust more and not gain any responsiveness.

As far as using two smaller turbos, it would be more efficient than the existing kits because you would need very little hot side piping, but you would have to eliminate ac and inner fenders to make it fit, that’s why it’s easier to mount the turbo by the back of the engine.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your 093 will spin tires in 3rd?? I need to re gear or something lol @Thewespaul whats done to the truck otherwise?
$5 boost gauge, some special tuning, no pyro and a slipping dmf
:peelout
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I want to get some videos from in the cab but the gear vendors ripped off its mount doing a 5th gear burnout with @ReticulateSplines

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why won't mine do 3rd gear burnouts?? I've got a 90cc, stage 1's timing at 7, intercooler, and factory turbo with banks housing and 60-1 wheel with banks downpipe and 4 inch exhaust and larger intake/filter?? Axle wrap is a factor on why I don't try burnouts often, probably won't try to do that as I don't want to see part numbers flying everywhere lol

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This truck is a “test” mule so more like a shop ***** that customers get to try products out before deciding to buy them... it gets the real good treatment

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
That video is awesome.

So in researching the turbo I had mentioned earlier, backpressure may be an issue. I could only find one a/r value for it which is .50.

Just wondering how to calculate what inlet/outlet size is required for these engines

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be better off having a too large turbo to keep boost down. They only boost as much as you fuel it too. That's why the 088 non gated ats has a larger exhaust wheel they kept boost numbers in check by not spoiling as high. Then the 093 had a waste gate turbo with a smaller exhaust wheel boost came on faster but wastegate controlled It. The turbo in question would have extremly high amounts of back pressure, and it would likley over spool itself due to the amount of exhaust gases coming from a idi vs the car it came off

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Well I realize that is the general opinion which I respect, but how do we know how much gas the idi is pushing? Being that it is such a low revving engine, I would actually be surprised if it really moved an enormous amount of air, however, I am not sure how to accurately calculate it.

it's a 445ci displacement meaning it moves (I think) 445ci of air per 2 revolutions. This would suggest, at 1000rpm, it would push 222,500ci/m or ~129cf/m. 260cf/m @2k, and 390cf/m @ 3k. This would suggest that the dinky little tdo5h, with a max flow rate of 520cf/m should be more than capable of flowing that volume of air, although I haven't looked into how much boost the turbo is creating at 520cf/m output and how the temperature of the exhaust gas will effect the air volume leaving the engine after combustion.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to waste thr time and effort doing something custom, plan on 15-20(or more!) Psi of boost.
A banks Sidewinder kit is perfectly sized to make 10 psi, with a TE06H; it'll make 15 with more work, and I've even hit 22 out of one... but that extra boost simply created massive backpressure and the engine made no more HP.
That's about the smallest turbo you could possibly want on there.

Note that my own 'upgraded turbo' was a S360 with .63 exhaust housing and it pushed 20-25 easily. The same turbo with a .83 housing barely pushed 10 and was hard to spool.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you calculate that?
Because that's 370CFM at atmospheric, or 14.7 PSIA(at sea level). . 520CFM would therefor be 1.405 times that, or 20.6535 PSIA, 5.9 PSI of boost.
And that's /best/ case, assuming sea level etc. (I live at 2K feet elevation, for instance, 13.66 PSIA)

...I think. There's probably some other factor in there that actually makes it less.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used the formula I already gave you and used algebra to move the equation around so that instead of finding max cfm you are finding max boost.

Here’s the mental math I did, using the numbers you came up with.

So we have 400cfm max from an na engine, that is with with 14 psi of atmospheric pressure.

So if 14 psi=400 cfm then 1 psi is ~30 cfm.

So if we have 500cfm and we divide that by 30, well that’s ~17 psi

Which is less than 4 psi of boost... not even taking ve into affect.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7