Turbo talk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hx40's largest comp wheel is a 60/86, but can vary from 58/83 and on. They also come in three different blade counts. The turbine wheel is smaller than the tp38 turbo that comes factory on the stroke at 76/64 compared to the 76.5/68 on the tp38.
I was about to say, that's a super, not a standard 40. Lol
The only thing with this, and this is from justin and i have not looked into it one bit, but there is not enough meat left in the block to just go to 1/2'' studs, and also the thought is why not go 9/16 and never worry about any problems ever ?

and @ISPKI If you want a good proven towing setup that is reliable, find an ats 093 kit, and intercool it, then adjust the wastegate to 10-12 psi and be done with it, as others have said quit reinventing the wheel and use what is already out there. I have bought two 093 kits for under $400 and I see them commonly go for under $700
I guess I don't get the logic used. If there's not enough "meat" for .5 inch (Which has been done) then how the heck are you gonna do .5625?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough meat left after tapping for .5, as in some of the 7/16 threads may still be there in trying to tap, not for lack of block meat, or it may be a stark misunderstanding of me, and it just instead of just going one size bigger go 2 and be done with it?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You run into two different issues here, with going to 1/2 you have a weaker tread as you haven’t completely removed the 7/16 thread but your block isn’t compromised. With 9/16 you have very strong threads but I would think you start to compromise the block in that area, you start putting more clamping load and pull on the threads you can spider crack a block pretty easy

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough meat left after tapping for .5, as in some of the 7/16 threads may still be there in trying to tap, not for lack of block meat, or it may be a stark misunderstanding of me, and it just instead of just going one size bigger go 2 and be done with it?

I was confused for a second there too. So basically, you need to go the next size up in order to achieve full bite into the new threads. The difference between 7/16 and 1/2 is not large enough to guarantee proper threading at 1/2, if you started with a 7/16 hole.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw the burnout video of the fourth gear burnout and that's on gravel isn't it??? Because I can hit rev limiter in 4th on gravel I drive log truck roads all the time @Thewespaul if it's wet outside I can burnout on corners in 3rd or 4th

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Are the 6.9 threads 7/16-14 or 7/16-20? If they're 20, then you could tap for 1/2-20

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
The only thing with this, and this is from justin and i have not looked into it one bit, but there is not enough meat left in the block to just go to 1/2'' studs, and also the thought is why not go 9/16 and never worry about any problems ever ?

and @ISPKI If you want a good proven towing setup that is reliable, find an ats 093 kit, and intercool it, then adjust the wastegate to 10-12 psi and be done with it, as others have said quit reinventing the wheel and use what is already out there. I have bought two 093 kits for under $400 and I see them commonly go for under $700

That's really not what I am after, I have been looking for an ats093 turbo but they are very rare and expensive in my area and I'm not having alot of luck finding one on ebay for a decent price

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay is where they go for top dollar. ON many of the facebook pages i am on including ford idi diesel enthusiasts 83-94, Most people will ship them, and they go for anywhere from $600-900 with $700 being the most common, I am saying that for a great turbo setup that rally doesnt require much thinking, and is stupid reliable and makes pulling wonderful, there is a simple answer, or you can spend $1200 for a factory based kit that is nos from typ4 and have peace of mind that is is new and not used. No one is going to stop you from trying to make your own kit, but what i am saying is it has already been done, fits the bill of what you are asking and is not that expensive.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Also want to point out that a Banks Sidewinder kit with the TE06H is a really good 'mild' setup which will make your 200-220rwhp on a stock pump no intercooler needed. Plus, it sits less over cyl #7 and is easier to work on.
I have both, and I honestly prefer the Banks piping and position of the turbo.
I've towed with both rigs, and honestly... more boost, more fuel, more power = more better.
Both kits do just fine up to around the 250 rwhp level, and around 200rwhp+ is really nice for towing in the 8k range - 70 up moderate hills and keeping up with traffic; downshift going up long grades and maintain 55+

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7