Turbo talk

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the current sidewinder is fairly well laid out. I just don't feel like spending $4000CAD on a new kit.

In all honesty, even the 088 has a great setup in terms of where things are positioned under the hood. I just can't get it to spool for me.

Unless I'm mistaken though, I think the 093 has a little more wiggle room around it in terms of being able to physically fit larger turbochargers in the same location (at least compared to the 088).

Last edited:

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Yeah the current sidewinder is fairly well laid out. I just don't feel like spending $4000CAD on a new kit.

In all honesty, even the 088 has a great setup in terms of where things are positioned under the hood. I just can't get it to spool for me.

Unless I'm mistaken though, I think the 093 has a little more wiggle room around it in terms of being able to physically fit larger turbochargers in the same location (at least compared to the 088).
to bad you are all the way acrossed the country from us, we have built several custom turbo set-ups for the 6.2l/6.5l platform, and would enjoy the opportunity to tinker on a ford... check out of avatar pic, that is the current center mount kit we are running on our 3500 dually truck, needed to move the firewall back 6 inches at the top though...*****....J&J

You must be registered for see images attach

turbonator

Reaction score
thats cool. how does it go?
unofficially probably has over 300WHP, in a 10,000lbs work truck with 3.42 gears, we beat our friends 1978 corvette with it, from stop light to stop light, but that isnt saying much with a late 70's smogger corvette, now if we put the engine into his corvette and built a turbo kit to match it would be something fun...LOL...J&J

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
When people refer to a banks turbo, is there a specific model they are talking about? who makes the turbo in the sidewinder kit? is it just a TD06H turbo?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When people refer to a banks turbo, is there a specific model they are talking about? who makes the turbo in the sidewinder kit? is it just a TD06H turbo?
TE06H turbo. I'm sure it's not the 'best' turbo out there, but when pared with a drop-in package and a stock IP, it's a pretty potent combination.

I have one on my '92, and took it to the dyno with a stock, cranked up pump and (unknown to me) a 1" hole from the intake manifold out leaking boost.
I made 200 HP at the wheels, and 7 pounds of boost.
I found and plugged the hole a few weeks later, and now it'll peg the 15 psi gauge(also feels one heck of a lot stronger than it did).

I've also had the same kit on my tan '88 - but never dyno'd it with a stock pump. With my RD2-110, I made 250 HP at the wheels.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to bad you are all the way acrossed the country from us, we have built several custom turbo set-ups for the 6.2l/6.5l platform, and would enjoy the opportunity to tinker on a ford... check out of avatar pic, that is the current center mount kit we are running on our 3500 dually truck, needed to move the firewall back 6 inches at the top though...*****....J&J

:cheers: Nice work! Although the 6.5 and 6.2 does offer a little more room to work with.

Believe me, I'd love to build a setup. I'm just not confident I can fit the time in, and still be done by the summer driving season. I just finished an extensive restoration on the truck and would like to drive it a little instead of always working on it.

turbonator

Reaction score
they are all mitsubishi turbos, the early gm banks kits used Rotomasters(garrett), and the final kit for the gmt400 trucks used a te06h, which early on was a coveted upgrade for our platform.... the side mount banks were probably the best kit ever offered for the gm......

turbonator

Reaction score
here is what banks is selling to the US government to soup up the humvees...LOL.... its funny, the kit uses the ford turbo even now...LOL...J&J

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that’s on asphalt, the truck is just silly on gravel
Maybe having the stock exhaust housing is taking away that snap of acceleration needed for it? Idk I was planning on getting the r and d 3 inch set up soon but I'm not sure how much a difference it will mke or not but I won't argue with more turbo sounds lol

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got 20psi put of my last 088 it can spool wrap up pipes and make sure no leaks on exhaust side. It would hit 10 before 2000 rpms

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
If the banks is a td06h, would it be possible to find a tdo6h turbo off an evo 8 or 9 that could work? or is the banks tdo6h a different size?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 20psi put of my last 088 it can spool wrap up pipes and make sure no leaks on exhaust side. It would hit 10 before 2000 rpms

Crossover, up pipe, exhaust housing and downpipe are all wrapped. I am running a 3" exhaust with straight through muffler.

I might give it another try though. Nothing to lose other that a little time. Even if I do get rid of the 088, I'll do a postmortem on the internals of the turbo.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had a bent intake blade and enough play to hit the walls of the turbo when pulled, still pushing 20 when pulled

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online