Trucks making weird noises

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I took my truck through a pretty rough trail (I'm pretty sure it was a quad trail) one of my buddies was stuck there in his truck and im always willing to help. The trail had a lot of stumps and i did have to go over some to avoid the big guys.....and no i didnt get any pics unfortunately we were to focused on getting out of there before dark.

So now the truck makes a weird grinding/grumbling noise. Ive noticed that it makes this noise when its idling and if I give her a little throttle the noise stops. the noise reminds me of when people describe the washing machine noise from there flywheel ....I'm not sure what kinda flywheel I have. ...also the truck never made this noise before my little recovery mission. Any ideas what it could be. The truck itself has the same amount of power as before and still drives the same.I did feel the valve covers while it was making the noise and it kinda felt like the something was constantly tapping on the cover. Oil level is good the coolant is to, the belt is still on and sitting on the pulleys straight. The only thing i had to fill up was the power steering, it was at the "full cold" mark even though it was warm so i filled to the "full hot" mark. underneath I saw no leaks of any kind, besides a little bit of oily grease looking stuff on the starter. Im not sure if that stuff was there before the 4wheeling adventure though. Any ideas on what to start inspecting would be great, I dont want to drive the truck the way it is now just incase its something bad. O and my clutch pedal squeaks once in awhile

On a side note i got my kit from blackstone today, do you guys think it would be alright to collect from the oil fill instead of the dipstick tube? The reason I ask is the tubing i have is to large for the dipstick tube.

Thanks!

Last edited:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've noticed the noise only happens if im completely stopped of reversing. This leads me to think its something in the tranny? Maybe the throwout bearing or whatever its called?
It still shifts normally though, o another thing i should mention the noise is accompanied by a vibration i feel in the pedals and even the steering wheel. I looked underneath it again and theres nothing broken. Im a bit stumped,

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a look at your transfer case lever/linkage, and the inspection cover on the transmission. Climb under there and you might be able to see what you "stumped"

Good luck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You can't suck oil out of theoil fill spot on the front of the engine. There is too many gears in there and no room for the hose to reach the pan. Sorry for the not so good news.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two options for Blackstone,

Wait until your oil change is due, then as it's pouring out collect some. The other option, remove the oil filter drain into blackstones container and install a NEW oil filter. Then top up after fire up and checking oil levels.

I'd do option ONE myself. as it's the best time end of cycle for oil and all.

As for noises sounds like DMF or rollover.

Squeeky pedals, may mean bushings are worn and it's signs of needing replacement

Bout all I can add!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so i went under the truck and looked around, nothing hanging or broke looking/out of the ordinary. I snapped some pictures, i couldnt completely get the inspection cover off, so i tried moving the toothed gear around it didnt move. Nothing looked broken. trans case Linkage looks fine except maybe the electrical connection i took pics of.

The noise seems louder now, it makes the noise with the clutch engaged or disengaged, however with a little throttle it wont make the noise. I think ill take it to a tranny shop tomorrow see what they say. I'll post pics once i figure out this cameracookoo

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Apparently all the tranny shops are closed on weekends in prince george :mad:......do you guys think id be ok with driving it till monday? I did google the issue and i think its the tob but I'm no mechanic. It kinda seems to me like when the trucks idling something starts moving around and once i give her a little throttle whatever it was that was moving stops.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics arent showing up but if you click on the first one you can see all of them in a slideshow type deal.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it to a tranny shop, the guy said its the dmf. He quoted me 2gran :puke:....and he also said it could last for awhile the way it is and it could all fail soon. When the flywheel fails does it just stop transferring power to the transmission? Is there signs that it is just about to fail (other than the noises and vibration it makes now?)