Throttle Cable?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should I do for a replacement? Not a lot of places around have the exact thing. I could zip tie the throttle to half or a third but need it fixed proper :eek:

Mine snapped last night so in the dark I wrapped a audio cable to the throttle lever and it barely increased the engine speed, i was able to shift it up to 25mph in 4th (each gear gave me a few mph ;p) and limp home

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the best I can tell you is to make something from a bike brake or shift cable. Or find a wrecking yard and make something off another ford work. Lots of under hood parts on the big mercs and lincolns are found under out hoods.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I was able to get an aftermarket one from the locsl auto parts store. BUT, it was stiff. So then I went to Ford and got an original Ford one, MUCH better, the cheap aftermarke one made me have foot cramps! This was about a year ago.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found one after calling around for a while, it was a little longer but went in fine! Idi only parts arent too common round here. Travel north or south and theres plenty though..

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a throttle cable from Bronco Graveyard about a year ago. It was a Dorman brand and made in China (Imagine that!) It was very stiff (as noted by Garbage Mechan above) and streched out about half an inch in 6 months. With the strecth, I couldn't get full throttle or even get the E4OD to downshift! Ordered out a genuine Ford cable and that solved all the problems for me. I wish I had spent the additonal 20 bucks to begin with!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a thread around here somewhere with part-numbers and such on how I replaced my original 1985 cable.

Although it worked somewhat for many years/miles, I was never impressed with my original cable, as it hung full-throttle a number of times for no apparent reason, even way back when the truck was almost new, and was a water magnet that would freeze up while going down the road in freezing weather.

Mine never completely broke; however, a bunch of strands did break and became a big steel wire fuzz-ball that would catch in the open end of the sheath.

My intentions were and still are to retrofit a 379 Peterbilt pedal/cable; but, under pressure of time, I got an aftermarket cable from Amazon and doctored it up somewhat prior to installing it.

First thing to go was that hateful binding red plastic sleeve.

Then, I pumped hot oil through and through the sheath.

As the new cable was a few inches longer than the original, I was able to zip-tie the slack up high-and-dry, creating a self-draining arch along it's length, where water will hopefully drain away, instead of collecting and freezing.

My original cable had stretched some four-plus inches in length over the years, necessitating me having to crimp split-shot sinkers above the pedal connection every couple years or so to maintain throttle travel.

With the new cable installed, I stripped out the old cable from it's sheathing and replaced it with one robbed from an old ten-speed bicycle, crimping cable slugs onto the proper places.

The inexpensive bicycle cabling was of much superior quality to that originally in the throttle cable.

This re-built cable got the same oil treatment and resides underneath the sleeper mattress in the event that the new cable should fail.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
It's a bit late for this but I just saw this thread: Advance now carries the correct cable, length and throttle-arm connector both exactly right, cost me $39.99 last week. Autozone and O'Reilly had longer ones with different connectors, wouldn't work with cruise control. I gently lubed it with waterproof grease and it installed perfectly, exact OEM replacement. Maybe this'll help the next guy, or the dozens of you whose cables are on their last legs...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you guys getting the oil or grease down in it? Mine seems stiffer than the old one was.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you guys getting the oil or grease down in it? Mine seems stiffer than the old one was.

It helps to have the cable and the oil fairly hot.

I open the dampers and stir up the fire.

Hang the cable straight up-and-down behind the stove with a catch-pan underneath.

I have a little sharp-nosed pump-oiler can that I got at Harbor Freight; I pump hot oil into the cable housing at the top and allow it to find it's way out the bottom, working the cable in-and-out occasionally.