Accelerator Cable replacement

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey all. Just did a bunch of fuel line work on my Slug over the weekend. While working on it, I noticed the accelerator cable plastic sleeves are shattered and cause the cable to jam constantly. Figured I would deal with it while im working on it.

I found these two parts on Rockauto but they look somewhat different on the ends and I was wondering if anyone else has successfully replaced their cables with these options?

One is a PIONEER and one is an ATP brand. The end that connects to the throttle lever is the one with the spring. The ATP appears to be metal while the pioneer looks to be plastic. Both are roughly the same price, 12-16$. The Pioneer also looks like it has an additional bushing and a different ball shape on the other end that connects to the pedal.

Attachments

• Accel Cables.jpg
    Accel Cables.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 13

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
They both look like they should work, unless one states for van body and the other for truck. Last time I replaced one I got it from oreileys and it was a direct replacement but only listed the one option.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATP has been in the game for a long time. I believe that pioneer is what O'Reilly carries.

James

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not happy with the aftermarket cable I purchased so I grabbed a motorcraft one after the aftermarket cable snapped.... It was like $40 or something from tasca. If you need me to dig up the part number let me know.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re seeing both ends of the cable. The one on the left is the end that goes through the firewall to pedal. The one on the right connects to injection pump.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an engine builder friend that swore by Pioneer brand pretty much anything...I believe that is the one I used from Rock Auto when I fixed mine...

I don't know much about ATP...I probably have used their stuff from time-to-time...I was never impressed with their transmission rebuild kits...but other than that I imagine their stuff is useable...but I would carry a spare with you under the seat...

Just my .02

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered 2 Throttle cables, I think from Taska.
OEM NOS gunuwine Ford part, in the Ford packaging. Think it was last July, and not all that expensive.
Put one on the 86 as it was probably original from new, and the plastic sheath was ripped off, and figured it was time. Just didn`t want to be sitting on the side of the road or have it come apart taking a left turn through a hole in traffic, and the engine suddenly idles down....

I measured it and think they are 37" long.
There was some threads guys complaining some are too long even though the seller say it will fit.

This is what I ordered from Taska.

Found this on "Diesel Hub"

6.9L & 7.3L IDI Diesel Accelerator/Throttle Cable Part Numbers (1983 - 1994)​

Part Description
Part Number(s)
Remarks/Notes
OEM Ford accelerator cableNaturally aspirated enginesE9TZ-9A758-U
[1]​
Factory turbocharged enginesF1TZ-9A758-E
Balkamp accelerator cable (NAPA)BK 6101439
[2]​
ATP accelerator cableY290
[3]​
Pioneer accelerator cableCA8459
[1] Accelerator cable for turbocharged engines is longer that that for naturally aspirated engines. Factory Ford accelerator cables offer the best fitment and reliability.
[2] 42.2 inches long, works with naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines.
[3] 42.5 inches long, works with naturally aspirated and turbocharged engines.

We highly recommend the OEM replacement cables from Ford. The ATP and Pioneer products will work, but are not a perfect fit. NAPA's Balkamp throttle cable has a similar fit and finish to the ATP/Pioneer option. While these are readily available and relatively inexpensive replacements, their fitment is poor at the accelerator pedal as if the cable is too long. This is often remedied by using a series of zip ties around the cable end to remove the slack. Additionally, we've found that these cables do not last long and break easily, especially if you have a heavy foot.

Goat

Last edited:

mf7lakes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put that part number in at fordpartsgiant.com and it said would not fit my '93 F350 -- came up with this number instead --->
F1TZ-9A758-E --- forget I said anything, I'll learn to read before writing one day soon