Speedometer cable help

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My speedometer stopped working. I pulled the instrument cluster and the cable seems to be still attached there. I was hoping to just plug that back in and be done. No such luck.
I disconnected the cable at the transfer case. I tried to turn the end of the cable by hand and it snapped off with very little effort.
I looked on Ford Parts Giant and they have several cables. I don't know which fits my truck. Are they all the same except for length? Some have pictures but others don't. And some mention not for 4wd.
How to get the right one?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measure yours and get one the same or close length. And for 4X4.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 86 cruise sensor is on the speedometer cable. Then again, my 86 is a bullnose, Brian’s truck, being an 87, is a bricknose

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you go into Ford Parts giant, don`t they ask for your VIN# ?
From that they know which one to send you.

Goat

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 cruise sensor is on the speedometer cable. Then again, my 86 is a bullnose, Brian’s truck, being an 87, is a bricknose
Yours should be in the cable under the brake booster, guess I'm not 100% about '87 being on the output shaft. But I know '89 was.

James

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I’ve never had my hands too deep into a cruse control brick I just assumed the sensor in the axle was just for abs. Good to know thank you

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about entering the VIN when searching. I will try that. Thanks.
The connector at the transfer case has the speedometer cable going into one hole and a wire plug inserted right next to it. I assume the wires are for the cruise control.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about entering the VIN when searching. I will try that. Thanks.
The connector at the transfer case has the speedometer cable going into one hole and a wire plug inserted right next to it. I assume the wires are for the cruise control.

I have been searching for NOS OEM Lift Pumps.
Have 2 from 2 different Ford dealers and waiting for 2 more...
There is a box (maybe not always) and they ask for the Vin# to make sure it is the correct part for your year/model vehicle.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the cable and I am not finding one that matches it. It shouldn't be this difficult?
The place that seems to have every Ford speedo. cable known to man (partsgeek) doesn't even show one that matches (in length). The Ford dealer sites were the worst. Most don't even list a speedo cable. Using my VIN was no help either.

Mine is 78" long and has these ends. The closest I can find is 92" long. I don't think I should be bending it to make an extra 14" fit? Or do you think it'll work? If not then I'm at a dead end.

Attachments

• contentinfo.autozone.jpg
    contentinfo.autozone.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 7