How best to replace high-pressure power steering hose....?

Rupert8

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a small-ish leak on the high pressure power steering hose, where it goes into the gearbox. I've tried tightening the connection up a little but no luck. It drips while driving, not when the engine is off. But I know it isn't going to get better and I don't want it failing on me so need to get it fixed....

Just tightening the connection was tricky enough because there is very little access without pulling parts out of the engine. I'm hoping to access the area via the wheel well (with the wheel turned all the way left) to replace the hose. I've replaced high pressure hoses on other vehicles with no major problems but the issue is I need the truck a couple times each week and don't want to get the hose off then find I can't get the new one on given the lack of access since this part is so very difficult to get to. I really don't want to pull the pump out - or similar - unless I absolutely have to (the only video I found online shows the guy pulling the thing apart....).

Does anyone have any tips on successfully getting this job done on these engines without it being a major pain? YouTube and forums don't seem to offer much for this year/model (later models look to have a lot more access, it seems). Hate to ask but is this a job best left to a repair shop....? Or has anyone had luck doing this?

(The power steering pump was replaced a couple years ago by the previous owner and the hose looks like it is new-ish as well. Fluid looks good.)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It's a pain the butt and there's really no shortcut. I did cheat on the return line on my RV because that's the one i couldn't ever get started. I bought a swivel inverted flare to 3/8" hose barb, threaded it to the gearbox with ease, then stuck on a hose and clamp. Works fine. But, yeah, can't do that with pressure. It might help to undo the return line to help gain access though. I can't remember, it's been several years.

Olds64

Reaction score
I wouldn't take my truck into the shop for the PS pressure hose. Should be straight forward. Make sure you have a new pressure hose on hand and then tackle the swap on Saturday morning. Might have to take off the PS pump or cooler. Remember not to use Teflon tape, the PS pressure hose has inverted flare fittings on it.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be done without removing any other parts. I did it ... a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.
If I remember correctly, I got to do it twice ... I didn't fish the old O ring out of the top of the gearbox before installing the new hose.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to pull the p/s pump it’s 2 bolts a couple years ago I would do it with it in but I try and make things easier now,
I can’t remember which line it was on the gear box but the one that’s to the passenger side I like to remove the driver side one for easier access,

Like kizer said make sure the power steering end has the oring and is intact,

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this. It was tight, and a total pain. I went through the wheel well, it was the only way I could sort of see what I was doing.

gandalf

Reaction score
It seems to me that when I switched over to hydroboost I worked on the ps pump through the wheel well. That presented to easiest and most direct path to where I needed to go. I don't remember any great difficulty.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no help. When I last did this job, the motor was out of the truck. Made it super easy, but I don't recommend pulling the motor unless you have a good reason.

Rupert8

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated. Think I'm going to give it a go through the wheel well and if it looks like it's going to be a real pain, 'just' remove the pump.

And proof again of the value of this forum: I asked a question about getting to a hose fitting and it was answered thoroughly, with multiple informed opinions so I can make a decision with much more confidence than I would have done a couple days ago.... And also advice on O-rings and so on, which I hadn't considered. It will end up being a job done better, and faster as a result. Although the hands will be just as messy.....

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't knock pulling the engine, that 1000lb beast in in the way of everything in the engine bay. It would be easier to change the factory fuel filter if the engine was out.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Doubly so for us van people!! :D
Replacing the gear box was easier on my RV vs my F250. I have pictures of how torn up my arms were from doing it on the truck in 2017. I changed the RV's in 2021 in an Idaho AutoZone Parking lot, it was easy. However, i think i connected the pressure line before I bolted the gearbox back to the frame. But in general it seemed far easier to access vs the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online