How best to replace high-pressure power steering hose....?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the gear box was easier on my RV vs my F250. I have pictures of how torn up my arms were from doing it on the truck in 2017. I changed the RV's in 2021 in an Idaho AutoZone Parking lot, it was easy. However, i think i connected the pressure line before I bolted the gearbox back to the frame. But in general it seemed far easier to access vs the truck.
You got all your practice on the truck and had perfected the art when you got to the motorhome.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You got all your practice on the truck and had perfected the art when you got to the motorhome.
No, things sit differently between the two. the gearbox is more accessible on (91 and older) vans, in my opinion. But, the power steering pump is far worse to get at, vs a truck... so..

LowTech

Mech Wrangler
Reaction score
No, things sit differently between the two. the gearbox is more accessible on (91 and older) vans, in my opinion. But, the power steering pump is far worse to get at, vs a truck... so..
Speaking of hard to get to pumps . . . I would love to get a van pump on this rig. Someone put a truck pump on it, or the motor came out of a truck. It was a major pain in the *** to check or add fluid to until the AC compressor died, now it's just a pain.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iam still not going to own a van, you haven`t convinced me.
First time I delt with a van was around 1971. They had one at work, and I had to drive it for some reason...anyway, found the Oil Dip Stick, and I swear it must have gone to the rear Bumper. Longest dang thing.

RV`s/Campers are OK I guess. My idea of Camping, is going from one Hyatt Regency to the next.

Goat

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Old Goat for my family the van allows freedom of movement while traveling down the road. And hopefully one day cooking provisions and sleeping accommodations for 4... LOL

I’d love to be able to travel for 4-6 hours and get a hotel and eat out all meals....

Instead I can sacrifice some fuel mileage for freedom of movement with sleeping accommodations and cooking provisions. It will allow me to travel more often and for longer periods with my family. Budgetary reasons.

That is the sole motivation. Otherwise I’d be all about a CCSB 7.3idi turbo F-350 with a ZF5. 4.10 gearing and 255/85-r16 AT tires. But instead the wife drives the pickup..a tundra :idiot:

Oh....cup holder.....I mean power steering lines!!

Rupert8

Reaction score
I have not - but I guess I still need to get in there to access that. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back once I get to this job - been having injector trouble (per another thread.....)

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online