Throttle cable melting

Evansline

Reaction score
Appreciate all the feedback. I’ll see the truck this weekend so will be able to tell whether it ever got relocated with the turbo. Either way, it sounds like a pain in the butt, so I ordered the CDD kit. Will post some pics. (After I do the damn kingpin that no shop would touch!)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just a thought from a different direction, the glow plug controller is not trying to use the throttle cable as a ground wire is it?

don't know if the throttle cable is melted locally or throughout.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's weird, all ATS kits I've seen move it to the passenger valve cover, and all Banks kits I've seen had a little stand that bolted onto the valve cover.
No the ATS didnt. The factory did

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get some of this, 1 inch size will protect the throttle and cruise cable.
92 up throttle cables wont work in early trucks, throw is wrong to get proper throttle action.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Get some of this, 1 inch size will protect the throttle and cruise cable.
92 up throttle cables wont work in early trucks, throw is wrong to get proper throttle action.
I've seen this or something similar on a lot of cables, wiring, and even return lines that weren't rerouted to run in front of the intake. Despite what's done today, I saw very few rubber return lines that were rerouted 20-30+ years ago. We sure didn't do that at the shop I worked at. Some return lines didn't even have any insulation covering them.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
just a thought from a different direction, the glow plug controller is not trying to use the throttle cable as a ground wire is it?

don't know if the throttle cable is melted locally or throughout.
Ditto on this one. Make sure you have a good engine ground and body ground. If your truck engine or cab is using the throttle cable as your ground that would explain it. Starter and glow plugs would cause it to get very hot and melt the coating.

Ditto on above, if going by the exhaust, turbo, or on top of the shunt for the glow plug relay try this stuff. But don’t lay it on any of these.

One last thing do you have a third party pyro or water temp gauge? Maybe your truck is running very hot for some reason.