Thinking about a WMO set up.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
my oil is black as coal after filtering. I think the only way to remove the carbon or soot would be with a centrifuge. I hope to do that setup one day.

I have heard that soot was an abrasive. If thats the case it will be important to get it out of the oil.

Like I said, I have only done oil from a gasser, and have yet to try any oil from the diesel. I will be interested to see what color the filters make it.

PZ

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just another idea for my piece of mind is I will be running some magnets in my last filter to try to collect any small metal particles. I have been looking on ebay at them but it is confusing with so many different sizes and prices.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
just another idea for my piece of mind is I will be running some magnets in my last filter to try to collect any small metal particles. I have been looking on ebay at them but it is confusing with so many different sizes and prices.

Magnets are easy. Find an old hard drive and brake it apart. I pulled one apart when I was a kid and pinched my finger with them so bad that I bled. We also used to put one under the counter top and the other on top and you could move the top one around by moving the bottom one.

Now that you mention that I think I am going to go break a HD and slap some magnets on my filters!

PZ

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a good idea! I will have to get with my computer friend to get some. They sell some on ebay that are heavy strength to drop them down in your oil filter to take the particles out so they dont go around in the engine. Same principle.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea and they would be strong ones. They would have to be from small ones as the magnet on the back of my 10" HIFONICS would not fit. Had four in my powerstroke at 55lb each.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
or you get them from speakers.....

I have not had much experience with speakers, but HD magnets are VERY powerful and only a little bigger than a quarter. So they may be easier to attach. However the will probably stick to the filter so hard that it will be a challenge to get them off.

PZ

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I have not had much experience with speakers, but HD magnets are VERY powerful and only a little bigger than a quarter. So they may be easier to attach. However the will probably stick to the filter so hard that it will be a challenge to get them off.

PZ

just remember with the magnets,

i run oil from gasser engines as the soot in diesel oil is hard to remove without a centrifuge. the gasser oil doesn't plug my filters nearly as quick as the diesel stuff i ran.

but bearings in newer motors are aluminum, as are pistons. Non magnetic. Still a good idea to catch anything that might be magnetic.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
SO I went and picked up 25g of WMO from a shop about an hour away today. The pump was not really fast enough to do a whole 55g drum. I am going to have to experiment with a power steering pump driven by an AC motor :sly

Anyway, I got home and mounted my whole set up before I filtered it. I only cut 10g of oil, which nets 20g of fuel (after I add diesel).

Here is how the set up mounts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man its much cleaner than working with the pump in my hand, and the filters screwed to a saw horse. I want to put the input in a 55g drum so its always there and I never have to touch it. Less handling means less mess. I have allot of figuring out left to do before I can start making some real quantity!

PZ

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well here is my somewhat portable filtering and pumping wmo setup. It is not super fast but it is better than hand cranking. My clean barrel I started with has 10 gallons of diesel added and a barrel water separator bag from blackdiesel.com. I am pumping from another barrel that has wmo that has been drip filtered through a 5 micron bag(just to get the chunks and such out). My first go around it goes through 50,20 and then 5 micron water home filters. I will let these barrels sit to make sure any water goes to the bottom to get caught by the water bags. After I get a couple barrels like this I will use a 10 and 1 micron water filter wrapped with blackdiesel.coms water separator wrap to hopefully catch all water and contaminants. I plan on running a full barrel through the filter setup for several go a rounds before putting in truck. I am going to run a ceatin additive also to each barrel in heavy doses. I hope to have sucess doing this and later will add a centrifuge after I get to working steady again.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170512658351&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Harbor freight has one nearly identical to this setup for $119 or so in the store. They run 10-30% coupons all the time and that would make it a pretty great deal. They will ship also. I also found this pump setup after I bought mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0562301365&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
If you dont need all the extras or want to piece it together your self there is this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0282511192&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT
shipping is to high in my opinion but all these pumps seem to be pretty much alike. I dont think any of these will be made in America for the price. I know my hose has Chinese gibber all over it. I did notice this morning at the hardware store that good 3/4 to 1" hose was $4-$7 foot so its a good deal for this stuff.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have filtered 50 gallons this morning and am going to start on the second barrel. Will have to see how it goes as I dont need to spend another $40 for 10 gallons of farm diesel to thin it with!!:dunno

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have one of those 119 dollar harbor freight pumps. I used it today to try and collect oil. Bad idea. It pumped about 2 gallons and died. :mad:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are rated for fuel only on most. I am running a strainer like most on the end of the hose but I am also running a 100 micron sock filter over it. It does not pump strait oil very well so I thin it down with 10 gallons of oil in a drum of oil. For collecting I will use the tried and true 4 gallon per minute hand crank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online