Cheap way to clean out WMO even more (using water)

ut99dot1

Reaction score
VERY long story below, read it if you care. Saw no one do this so thought I would share.

In short: add clean water to your WMO and mix it. If the water becomes disgusting, it means it absorbed filth from the WMO which a filter/centrifuge wouldn't be able to take out.

Throw away that water, filter it and enjoy your cleaner WMO

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a bottle of FILTERED wmo, the water became brown which is probably antifreeze and other crap, which would otherwise go in the engine.
Probably best to try a little bit first, if the water comes out clean you may have got a nice batch of uncontaminated WMO oil.

Most people here use either a filter, or a centrifuge. Basically this removes particles from the WMO; things that float inside there. Think metal shavings, sand, dirt etc.

What this will NOT remove is dissolved things. For example if we have water with sand, and salt, as the salt dissolves, it becomes "part" of the water, so the filter/centrifiuge only removes the sand, none of the salt.

Back to WMO; antifreeze / brakefluid contaminate the oil with silicates and other salts, you cannot filter / centirgute this out. But because antifreeze & brakefluid are both water solutable, we can use water to remove this crap.

The problem with this crap (silicates and other salts) is that they cannot be burned and have a very high melting temperature, so once they get inside the engine and its difficult to get rid of them.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's interesting. So if I'm following you, the idea is to take a bit of what we're running and mix a bit of water and see how the water looks when it settles out? If it settles out really nasty looking, then we assume that the WMO isn't as clean as we thought, but if it settles out kinda like water we're legit?

ut99dot1

Reaction score
Yeah exactly

Later on, if you want you can also clean the wmo. Just add a lot of water to the batch and separate it out
The water should draw out all the nasty stuff from the WMO that comes from brake / coolant fluid, if there's any = )

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new issue would be that you had a bunch of WMOW(waste motor oil water) and I'm not sure who you'd pawn that off on. But it's a sound idea for nuts like me who get their oil from all sorts of sources.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I actually did this for awhile, and used air to agitate and help the process. Problem is what do you do with all that water?

ut99dot1

Reaction score
nice! how much of a difference did it make?
im running an IDI and the heatshields get plugged every 2k-3k miles
the pre-injection cups look rough from the salt deposits but nothing drastic

Black dawg

Reaction score
Used less filters after doing it this way, combined with settling. There were times that the oil came out surprisingly clean looking from washing, but even when I couldnt see a difference in the oil, the amount of stuff in the water , and the color of the water showed it was for sure doing some cleaning.

I had two 300 gallon tanks that I would store the dirty water from, and most of the crud would settle out, and be able to re use the water. I ended up moving before I got my process all figured out, and just never started up again, with the water washing anyway.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually did this for awhile, and used air to agitate and help the process. Problem is what do you do with all that water?
It really does sound legit. And maybe like you said, save the water to reuse and I guess at some point take your sludge to the country recycle place 5-10 gals at a time strategically.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an odd question maybe, all the things you do to this "alternative" fuel, in the end it all costs, and with all the extra effort, does in the end it still comes out cheaper than regular diesel?

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an odd question maybe, all the things you do to this "alternative" fuel, in the end it all costs, and with all the extra effort, does in the end it still comes out cheaper than regular diesel?

Bart, with this crowd, it is not about cheaper...it is many things...but cheaper as far as attention and effort expended it is most definitely not about.

If it was truly about 'cheaper' then most of us would have bought a much newer, low mileage truck and not have to think and worry, scrounge and repair, dream up and invent ways to do things other city folks dare not attempt for fear of screwing it up royally...

This group of guys has no fear.

You know...this reminds me...'way before I was lucky enough to find The Girl...I had been surfing online for a potential mate...and I came across a woman that showed herself wearing a hand-knitted hat.

There was a caption...

"I knit. Yes, this hat. Yeah, I know...I can buy one cheaper..."

You see, Bart...it was not about being cheaper to her...it was about being creative...

There is an immense satisfaction to being creative and resourceful.

This is the mindset and acquired talent that moves Mankind forward....if the peanut butter ever hit the fan...this group of guys are the ones that will still be mobile and as a very talented General that had pioneered very effective tank warfare tactics...Guderian was his name...said....

"Victory comes through movement."

It is about being crafty and resourceful and saving your hard-earned money for things that you can use...but have no practical way to make.

It is most definitely NOT about being cheaper....as far as timewise...

No...it is about thowing up your middle finger to convention.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I see!
While not beeing in the USA, I totally agree.
Just two more questions, I thought that 7.3 IDI's IP's were sensitive for other then very clean fuel?
and I'd like to know more about centrifuges and where to get them? any advice? (as where to read or something?)
about 5 years ago I had experience with WMO mixing with a percentage gas and then setteling, drove that with a VW1,9 idi. went well, but wasn't optimal.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, yes it is cheaper, but ultimately it's me joining in with a group of guys who in 1774 dressed up like a bunch of Indians and threw a bunch of English tea in Boston harbor and said "I'm sick of y'all treating us like this". In 1774 most people looked down their noses st Paul Revere and his guys saying "why would you do that!". Now a days we say "those guys were heros!". When I tell people about my WMO stuff most of them are like, "why would you do that?", But I know why. So to quote the prophet Aaron Tippen..."you got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything". Or maybe consider the words of one Dee Snider....."we're not going to take it...NO....we ain't gonna take it.... we're not going to take ANYMORE!!!!"

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bart, with this crowd, it is not about cheaper...it is many things...but cheaper as far as attention and effort expended it is most definitely not about.

If it was truly about 'cheaper' then most of us would have bought a much newer, low mileage truck and not have to think and worry, scrounge and repair, dream up and invent ways to do things other city folks dare not attempt for fear of screwing it up royally...

This group of guys has no fear.

You know...this reminds me...'way before I was lucky enough to find The Girl...I had been surfing online for a potential mate...and I came across a woman that showed herself wearing a hand-knitted hat.

There was a caption...

"I knit. Yes, this hat. Yeah, I know...I can buy one cheaper..."

You see, Bart...it was not about being cheaper to her...it was about being creative...

There is an immense satisfaction to being creative and resourceful.

This is the mindset and acquired talent that moves Mankind forward....if the peanut butter ever hit the fan...this group of guys are the ones that will still be mobile and as a very talented General that had pioneered very effective tank warfare tactics...Guderian was his name...said....

"Victory comes through movement."

It is about being crafty and resourceful and saving your hard-earned money for things that you can use...but have no practical way to make.

It is most definitely NOT about being cheaper....as far as timewise...

No...it is about thowing up your middle finger to convention.
This post is the "WMO braveheart speech" great job @XOLATEM . As dumb as this might sound, in the Laura Ingalls Wilder book called "Farmer boy" in the last chapter, Almonzos dad gives a little talk about being a farmer that takes it to a different level. I'm NOT a "dooms day prepper", but there's a lifestyle that you can live that makes you a LOT less dependant on "the man", and it's a LOT more satisfying in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online