Temp switch for gp's

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been tossing around the idea of finding a temp switch to install that would kill the relay power to the gpc so that glow plugs will not cycle when coolant is above a certain temp.

I searched google and all I can seem to find in a reasonable price range(< $75) is these snap disc switches where I would have to run a hose with them plugging into the end or into a tee flange.

I have looked at 12v electric fan controls but all of them are NO until they reach a set temp(lowest adjustable model was 130 deg f) then they close and stay closed to cool the engine. I need a NC switch that preferably can be threaded into an npt coolant port that will open after coolant reaches about 110 deg f(~50 deg C)

Anyone got any ideas?

Dont want to plumb it into the switch for the high idle and cold start.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could use one of those fan switches in conjunction with a normally closed relay, which would then trigger the GPR. Or you could just run the GPR manually.....

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
The fan switch is normally closed but I was hoping there would be some sort of adjustable overtemp nc switch with a probe that would eliminate the need for extra lines to be ran that I could use. If there is something with a probe life would be as simple as unscrewing the 1/4 inch npt block drain at the back of the engine and adding some wire to the key on signal to the gpc. My girlfriend drives the truck every now and again so keeping it automated and idiot proof is a requirement.

If I install a switch to manually lock out the gpc lord knows I will find a dead starter if I forget to turn it back on and she tries to crank it.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is getting off-topic or too personal, but don't you think your GF is capable of learning the cold start procedure of a diesel vehicle? My wife actually initiated the purchase of our two PSDs, before we got the IDI; she's usually more attentive about GP run time than I am. GF or otherwise, would you want anyone who isn't willing/able to learn and do the start procedure driving the truck in the first place? Just sayin'.....

Hmm, wonder if/how you could fit the probe for something like this into an NPT fitting: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...e-thermostatic-fan-control-imperial_6016936-p .

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I could use something like that with a normally closed relay didnt think about that. I like to keep my trucks as operator friendly as possible so it is more simple, do I believe anyone that will drive my truck is capable of learning the procedure, yes. But to me it is easier to not have to teach everyone the quirks of my vehicle.

Black dawg

Reaction score
The 6.2 and 6.5 used a temp switch that opened at 125? (cant remember for sure). I had one of those screwed into the port where the early 6.9 controller screwed into. It would open above 125, cutting key on power to the controller. It worked very good for several years, until the switch failed. I have not been able to find a replacement that function like the original.

The replacement that napa and carquest sell doesnt have a switch in it, it is always closed.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A decent auto parts store that still has paper catalogs may be able to help you out. I was looking for something similar years ago and the Echlin book at NAPA had a section in the back with pictures and specs for temp switches.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Isnt the temp switch for the cold advance/fast idle right around 100 deg? I have used it for this purpose, but ended up with starting issues (on my truck at montana temps) when the engine would cool to below about 130deg.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the need to disable them? I guess it could make them last longer, but I'd just leave well enough alone.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Why the need to disable them? I guess it could make them last longer, but I'd just leave well enough alone.

The less they are used, the longer they last. It was irritating to me to wait for the light to go out with a fully warm motor.