Tell me if Im Nuts!

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinkin of taking out my ZF5 and putting in an automatic tranny.

I know yall are "am I nuts", I just think I could pull and park my 13,000 pound fiver easier with an auto, this is about all I use it for anyway, only 4 miles from work.
Just took a trip to Alabama, seems like I changed gears 500 times before I got there pullin the camper, Outta OD into 4th, outta OD to 4th, good greef, rolling hills on the interstate kill me.

First can I do it? A buddy of mine has a nice one in a 90 model and wants to swap his E40 for my ZF. Where is the computer for the tranny, how can you wire in the TPS on the pump, what about the OD switch.

I know I don't want a plain C6

How would a E40D run with my 410 gear or will I have to swap rear gears also.

Is there any other auto I can use beside an E40?

Should I bang gears, shut up and leave it alone -cuss

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It entirely possible. You have the best situation if someone wants to swap with you. You already have everything you need. ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Talk to RLDSL. Take the time, money and effort and put a brownie in it.:sly You will get a 2:1 reduction for creeper reverse and the double od for empty economy. From what I hear, the 4th over gear is the ticket to avoid the constant 4th gear 5th gear P.I.T.A.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It can be done but your looking for alot of work. On my 89 crewcab the computer is behind the drivers side floor kick panel. A really tuff place toget at. Most of the parking brake needs to be removed. Then the plastic kick panel. Then an inner metal panel. Most of the brake master cylinder too needs to be moved. I'm betting your main wireing harness will have all the wires already in it. The engine wireing harness will hopefully be the same. Your going to need the cross member under the trans and the drive shafts. Then you need the colume shifter. So yes... It can be done but do you want to tackle this project.. Just lifting the truck high enough to get the 300 lb E4OD under the truck is impossible with any store bought floor jack. They only lift to 17 inches. You will need 29 inches of clearance... I found this out the hard way when I installed my E4OD from BTS. I only got 28 inches after building all kinds of blocks and supports. Then the engine was nearly too high for the trans to meet up with it. I will never do that job ever again.... I hope....

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I think you are nuts!!!

However I understand your problem I think. You are tired of chattering the clutch when parking the trailer. I sometimes put it into 4 low to back up or creep along. You are two wheel drive correct? If I were you I would put a divorced transfer case or find a 4x4 Zf. You dont need to convert to 4x4, all you need is the 4 lo function. A gear vendor unit would be even better. But alas I cant spend your money for you, this is just my thoughts

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
throw it in, get the stand alone controller and a floor mounted shifter.. problem solved.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have lots of e4od parts so pm me if you need anything..........but you are nuts.:D

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
4.10 with the E4OD gives slightly lower RPM in od, and still pulls pretty good...
That said I'm getting rid of my E4OD and installing a ZF5.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I don't think your nuts... But I'm not ZF fan.;p

If you go the auto route you have options. You can go with the E4OD or the 4R100.;Sweet

If you go the 4R100 route you will need the 95-97 solenoid pack. Change the TC lock up valve in the pump. This will get rid of the crappy TC lock up.
Use a 4 stud converter from the E4OD.

As for brains. Don't use the Ford junk. Go with an aftermarket unit. Make the transmission do what you want it to do. :thumbsup:

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
being that its 2wd and your pulling a 5er if you do switch to an auto id add a transfer case to it. that way when your turning it around in reverse, or moving it around in forward, you can put it in low and save your transmission a lot of strain.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
being that its 2wd and your pulling a 5er if you do switch to an auto id add a transfer case to it. that way when your turning it around in reverse, or moving it around in forward, you can put it in low and save your transmission a lot of strain.

Yes, true, but if he had a zf with a transfer case, it would be even better. I back my loaded trailer around on soft ground at work. It would be a pain if not for low range on the transfer case. I do not usually lock in the hubs. I just use the nice low crawl speed in reverse. I just let out the clutch and steer, the truck moves so slow, you have plenty of time to make corrections.

Thanking you for reminding me how much I love my truck. :D